Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Voyager and Galileo Images of Callisto, The Callisto images and mosaics thread
mgrodzki
post Mar 11 2007, 02:46 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 507

When looking for good global images of Callisto… i keep seeing the same 2 or 3 and they look false color (especially from voyager). does callisto suffer from the lack of global images as europa does? also wondering if any of you magicians have worked your magic on any callisto images that are not in the mainstream.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Decepticon
post Mar 11 2007, 05:28 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 114

How about this?

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Mar 11 2007, 07:59 PM
Post #3

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Group: Admin
Member No.: 33

Well, there is this shot from Voyager:

Here is a Galileo shot (The only global view, other than a very distant one).

Here is another Galileo shot, processed by me.

--------------------

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Mar 11 2007, 11:15 PM
Post #4

Administrator

Member No.: 454

Nice as usual, Ted. When was that second Galileo one taken?

--Emily

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Mar 12 2007, 12:13 AM
Post #5

The one I processed is from I31 (with Voyager color). The Galileo photojournal image is from C30.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mgrodzki
post Mar 12 2007, 12:53 AM
Post #6

yeah, that half phase one is something i have never seen before. it reminds me of your europa and ganymede half phase images. io would make a nice complete set!

--------------------

+Quote Post
mgrodzki
post Mar 12 2007, 12:56 AM
Post #7

that's the one i see all the time. those colors are whack… i guess there was missing info in that which makes the edges blue? seems like the same problem with the more well-known europa images too.

--------------------

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Mar 12 2007, 02:44 AM
Post #8

QUOTE (mgrodzki @ Mar 12 2007, 12:56 AM) *

that's the one i see all the time. those colors are whack… i guess there was missing info in that which makes the edges blue? seems like the same problem with the more well-known europa images too.

It is based on a real variation. It is just over-enhanced, and probably Violet-Green-Infrared color.

--------------------

+Quote Post
JRehling
post Mar 12 2007, 02:50 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 321

It's kind of amusing how similar in appearance Mercury and Callisto are, besides being virtually identical in size. But what a difference otherwise.

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Mar 13 2007, 12:38 PM
Post #10

I have done my own version of the C30 image. It turns out the "red" channel is IR-9680, so my "red" for doing the color here is a blend of the green channel and IR-9680, to try to approximate red. For the grayscale, I used the IR-9680 data more heavily, as the dataset, like most Galileo sets, is very limited, so I needed it to bolster the image clarity. This is at the original image scale. The quality of the original images is too poor of super-resolution (in fact, it was hard to make it look decent without shrinking it).

--------------------

+Quote Post
PhilHorzempa
post Jun 3 2007, 08:40 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 709

Great work on the Callisto global views!

Now a request for the UMSF photo-magicians --
Have you assembled mosaics from
the High Resolution close-up images of Callisto from Galileo?

Another Phil

+Quote Post
MarcF
post May 29 2019, 08:30 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 773

A long time ago, I was used to visit the Callisto Crater Database by LPI: https://www.lpi.usra.edu/resources/cc/cchome.html. It contains images and information about the 150 major impact craters on Callisto. A similar database about craters on Ganymede also exists: https://www.lpi.usra.edu/resources/gc/gchome.html.
To my surprise, both are still accessible (as well as a third database about Venusian craters). As a biological database curator, I'm aware that maintaining and updating such databases is a big work, but I think it is a pity that they have never been updated with Galileo data. Many pics, new names and other information could have been added. Is there any chance this could happen once in the future ?
Regards,
Marc.

+Quote Post
JRehling
post Jan 4 2021, 04:58 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 321

I realize that this is a semiquaver off the title of this dormant thread, but I was looking over the plans for Europa Clipper and JUICE to see what coverage Callisto would receive and the numbers being reported are a total of 21 flybys: 9 by Europa Clipper and 12 by JUICE. This is almost half the number that Europa will receive from the two missions, so Callisto coverage will be quite good. Moreover, as the functional role of the flybys is to receive a gravity assist, they should be quite close as well, although perhaps the geometry (and diversity of flyby geometries) may not be so good, for the same reason.

Sadly, Callisto was on the far side of Jupiter when New Horizons made its flyby, and Juno doesn't have any plans to take any close images, nor did Cassini, so we're looking at an interval of almost 30 years between the last closeups from the Galileo Orbiter and the next one. When the wait is over, however, the coverage of Callisto should be great.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:18 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.