10 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
New Horizons Arrives At Ksc
BPCooper
post Oct 29 2005, 05:59 PM
Post #76

Group: Members
Member No.: 534

Thank's for posting that. I assume that the day-by-day vs arrival year is based on how close to Jupiter it winds up coming; and then later, Pluto's distance? The impression given on the NH website is that immediately after Feb 2nd it jumps to 2019 (and that before and after there are no variances).

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Alan Stern
post Oct 29 2005, 07:26 PM
Post #77

Member No.: 173

The plot shown is an old version of the launch window depiction. It should
not have been shown at OPAG, but little things like this happen.

Back in 2004, I realized that 28 Jan was very close to being able to make
2015, energetically. Our mission design team was thus able to make
28 Jan an Aug 2015 arrival. Just one month later than all the other 2015
arrivals, which are in July. We could even have moved some of the other 2016
days to 2015, but at the expense of our radio science, which requires a near
opposition geometry to minimize IPM scintillation; to preserve the
radio science, we stuck with 2016 July.

The bottom line is that about a year ago we moved the arrival for a 28 Jan '06
launch from July 2016 to Aug 2015, giving us 18 days total for 2015 arrivals.

-Alan

+Quote Post
Guest_BruceMoomaw_*
post Oct 30 2005, 06:53 AM
Post #78

Guests

You got any word on how serious the possible storm damage to the booster was, Alan?

+Quote Post
Alan Stern
post Oct 30 2005, 10:34 AM
Post #79

Bruce- It's only superficial. The threat to launch is the possible Boeing strike.

-Alan

+Quote Post
BPCooper
post Oct 30 2005, 04:55 PM
Post #80

The Boeing strike should have no effect on NH processing (and certainly not Atlas processing). Like I said, there was no damage to the booster itself, only some ground equipment.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alan Stern
post Oct 30 2005, 05:10 PM
Post #81

QUOTE (BPCooper @ Oct 30 2005, 04:55 PM)
The Boeing strike should have no effect on NH processing (and certainly not Atlas processing). Like I said, there was no damage to the booster itself, only some ground equipment.

To the contrary, the Boeing strike could effect processing of our Boeing third stage.
We are actively working with KSC, Atlas, and Boeing, to mitigate possible effects,
but there is no guarantee.

-Alan

+Quote Post
BPCooper
post Oct 30 2005, 05:33 PM
Post #82

QUOTE (Alan Stern @ Oct 30 2005, 01:10 PM)
To the contrary, the Boeing strike could effect processing of our Boeing third stage.
We are actively working with KSC, Atlas, and Beoing, to mitigate possible effects,
but there is no guarantee.

-Alan

That's right, I forgot about that. Thanks. I shouldn't doubt you of course :-)

The stage itself is Thiokol, by the way, but I know it has a Boeing spin table and adapter attached.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ljk4-1
post Oct 31 2005, 05:31 PM
Post #83

Member No.: 430

QUOTE (BruceMoomaw @ Sep 27 2005, 04:20 PM)
Actually, the blood-chilling thing about "nucular" is how many non-Bushians pronounce it the same way -- including Tony Blair, Walter Mondale, and (as the supreme insult) Clinton's first Defense Secretary, Les Aspin.  A DEFENSE SECRETARY who can't say "nuclear" is a bit much.  And what the hell was Tony learning in those pricey private schools, besides a plummy accent?

At an interview regarding the Huygens landing on Titan, Blair admitted he learned very little science in school and did not care for the subject.

Par for the course for most political leaders. Which goes a long way towards explaining the state of things in the world, along with a certain US leader who thinks kids having to learn ID along with evolution is a "fair and balanced" idear.

--------------------
"After having some business dealings with men, I am occasionally chagrined,
and feel as if I had done some wrong, and it is hard to forget the ugly circumstance.
I see that such intercourse long continued would make one thoroughly prosaic, hard,
and coarse. But the longest intercourse with Nature, though in her rudest moods, does
not thus harden and make coarse. A hard, sensible man whom we liken to a rock is
indeed much harder than a rock. From hard, coarse, insensible men with whom I have
no sympathy, I go to commune with the rocks, whose hearts are comparatively soft."

- Henry David Thoreau, November 15, 1853

+Quote Post
BPCooper
post Nov 2 2005, 10:49 PM
Post #84

QUOTE (BPCooper @ Oct 30 2005, 12:55 PM)

http://spaceflightnow.com/atlas/av010/051102srbreplace.html

Article noting the SRB replacement. This differs from what I was told, in fact it differs from what KSC PAO said (that there was no noticible anything, even a scuff, on the rocket and that the SRB replacement was purely for precaution). Apparently there was a tiny ding.

Regardless, they said today there will be no impact to the launch date.

--------------------

+Quote Post
BPCooper
post Nov 5 2005, 02:24 AM
Post #85

I had the privelege to go inside the clean room at the PHSF today to photograph New Horizons, and I thought I would share my photos:

http://www.launchphotography.com/NewHorizonsProcessing.html

It was a pleasure meeting Alan and the other members of the NH/APL team.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mike
post Nov 5 2005, 02:39 AM
Post #86

Member No.: 86

It's amazing to me that such humble-looking machines are the first man-made objects to travel so far. The king of Spain couldn't send out a little probe to determine whether there was a quick route to India. smile.gif And yet, these humble-looking machines will show us things we could never have imagined (until we see them, and then it will all be perfectly obvious, but I digress), and New Horizons will likely outlive me (and you, and that other guy).

Thanks for the pictures.

+Quote Post
ljk4-1
post Nov 5 2005, 04:27 AM
Post #87

Member No.: 430

QUOTE (mike @ Nov 4 2005, 09:39 PM)
It's amazing to me that such humble-looking machines are the first man-made objects to travel so far.  The king of Spain couldn't send out a little probe to determine whether there was a quick route to India.  smile.gif  And yet, these humble-looking machines will show us things we could never have imagined (until we see them, and then it will all be perfectly obvious, but I digress), and New Horizons will likely outlive me (and you, and that other guy).

Thanks for the pictures.

Will anything of note other than a microchip full of names be placed on NH before it is launched?

--------------------
"After having some business dealings with men, I am occasionally chagrined,
and feel as if I had done some wrong, and it is hard to forget the ugly circumstance.
I see that such intercourse long continued would make one thoroughly prosaic, hard,
and coarse. But the longest intercourse with Nature, though in her rudest moods, does
not thus harden and make coarse. A hard, sensible man whom we liken to a rock is
indeed much harder than a rock. From hard, coarse, insensible men with whom I have
no sympathy, I go to commune with the rocks, whose hearts are comparatively soft."

- Henry David Thoreau, November 15, 1853

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Nov 5 2005, 09:21 AM
Post #88

Member No.: 15

I'm impressed by NH's relatively small physical size. As someone who remembers the early Mariners and such, it's an interesting comparison. There's a huge amount of sensing capability packed into that thing, which is no larger than the Voyagers.

In fact, it looks to me to be perhaps smaller than the Voyagers, overall.

NH looks like a 21st-century space probe, all right!

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
mchan
post Nov 6 2005, 04:30 AM
Post #89

Member No.: 476

QUOTE (BPCooper @ Nov 4 2005, 07:24 PM)
I had the privelege to go inside the clean room at the PHSF today to photograph New Horizons, and I thought I would share my photos:

http://www.launchphotography.com/NewHorizonsProcessing.html

It was a pleasure meeting Alan and the other members of the NH/APL team.

Great photos. Thanks for sharing.

For seeing the launch in person, is the view better from Jetty Park or from along the Indian River due west of complex 41?

What is the launch azimuth for the NH launch?

Thanks,
Mike

+Quote Post
mchan
post Nov 6 2005, 04:39 AM
Post #90

Member No.: 476

QUOTE (dvandorn @ Nov 5 2005, 02:21 AM)
I'm impressed by NH's relatively small physical size.  As someone who remembers the early Mariners and such, it's an interesting comparison.  There's a huge amount of sensing capability packed into that thing, which is no larger than the Voyagers.

In fact, it looks to me to be perhaps smaller than the Voyagers, overall.

NH looks like a 21st-century space probe, all right!

-the other Doug

Voyager's HGA dish appeared to be larger than the main spacecraft bus structure, while NH's main structure appears slightly larger than the HGA. Voyager also had the boom mounted scan platform and RTGs vs all body mounted for NH. Oh, and Voyager had a mag boom which was cut from NH.

It would be interesting to see a side by side to scale graphic showing all the spacecraft that are or will be on solar system escape trajectories.

Mike

+Quote Post

10 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 12:02 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.