59 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Endeavour Drive - Drivability analysis
marswiggle
post Sep 20 2008, 01:30 AM
Post #46

Group: Members
Member No.: 193

Seems that at least two HiRISE images of Endeavour itself already exist, PSP_005779_1775 and PSP_007849_1775. In colour, too.

One of them includes the southern part of the western rim, a crop of which I'm attaching a bit hesitatingly (not knowing exactly what I see). This picture was exported as a half size jpeg from the quicklook jp2 product.

Added yet another half-res crop showing a curiously shaped pattern inside the crater bowl.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Attached Image

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Zeke4ther
post Sep 20 2008, 01:58 AM
Post #47

Member No.: 529

This is truely amazing news. The journey will be awsome. wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif

--------------------
-- Robin

+Quote Post
belleraphon1
post Sep 20 2008, 02:37 AM
Post #48

Member No.: 627

Ah.. ITHACA....

What a delight....

"I went to it with the defenseless disposition
with which we approach the unknown,
expecting a greater answer than our painful question."
Ithaca By Francisca Aguirre, Ana Valverde Osan

Travel onward little rover... we are with ya!!!!

Craig

+Quote Post
HughFromAlice
post Sep 20 2008, 03:17 AM
Post #49

Member No.: 3989

Getting pointed to podcasts like this and then to see the discussions afterwards is one of the reasons that I enjoy UMSF so much!

Steve Squyres comments: To me, three interesting things stood out.

1 - Due to combination of software updates, smarter team and HiRise imaging he is expecting Oppy to average 100 metres a day or "even better."
2 - He made no mention of the extent to which potential wheel problems were factored in in terms of choosing this long range target.
3 - He said that they'll be going in the right direction anyway. Rocks from deeper stratigraphic layers thrown a long way from Endeavour/Ithaca crater.

Made me think.....
1 - Even better? That's an exciting target!! Can it be done?
2 - I admire a team that knows when to think like explorers! What is the % probability of reaching Endeavour/Ithaca? Any predictions? Me (optimist) - 80%.
3 - Nearest ejected rocks how far from Vic crater?

+Quote Post
MarsIsImportant
post Sep 20 2008, 03:37 AM
Post #50

Member No.: 1503

Wow!!! Wow! Triple Wow!

Honestly...they said it might take two years to get there. So, I give it about a 30% chance of actually making it to a rim. I have no idea what condition is will be in at that time. The really interesting stuff is along the interior and north of the South rim. That would be shear heaven if Oppy could get there; but that almost doubles the trip length. I don't think that is possible.

This is such a large crater that they need to pick a rim to go to before they start the trip. It might make a big difference as to the path they take.

+Quote Post
CosmicRocker
post Sep 20 2008, 05:41 AM
Post #51

Member No.: 116

Outstanding! I'd like to say so much more, but you people have used up all of the relevant superlatives, and have even invented a few new ones. wink.gif
For those of you who, like me, missed the original webcast, here is a link to NPR's archived audio.

QUOTE (charborob @ Sep 19 2008, 02:12 PM) *
12 km at 100m/day is only 4 months, though tongue.gif

Just to put things into perspective for readers who may not be as familiar with the history of the rovers as some of us MER addicts, 12 km is approximately as far as Opportunity has already roved since it landed in Eagle Crater. As of the latest update, it has gone about 11,782.10 meters (7.32 miles).

QUOTE (ustrax @ Sep 19 2008, 04:24 PM) *
Just got some words from SS...I never doubted that he was one of ours...the "Rove till Death Brotherhood" smile.gif

"Well, we'll see what happens. The wheels could fall off tomorrow, after all... this is an old rover! But this is a good direction to travel whether we get there or not, as I explained in the interview. And, to me, this goal just >feels< right. Better to attempt something nearly impossible and die trying than simply live out our time doing things that have been done before."

Yeap...it feels soooo damn right! biggrin.gif ...

I agree, Rui. We're all attracted to the MERs by the exploration aspect of this pioneer mission. Let's get on with it. It is not necessary to delay in this area, unless the team feels they have unfinished business here. We have enough HiRise and other imagery to get started. They should have plenty of time to analyze the October 9/10th HiRise imagery before before they run out of driveway. wink.gif

It was great to get this very nice update from several Mars exploration teams, but NPR's "Click and Clack" format for this program was seriously annoying to me. This isn't funny, it's science, and it's serious. That is not intended to be overly critical. It was an excellent program that covered many aspects of the discussion, from geology to biology, and various areas in between. I'm happy about that aspect. smile.gif

I would like to hear more about the columnar jointing and other theories that were discussed. wink.gif The webcast sounded to me like a well rehearsed program, as opposed to a typical update from our various sources. What do you people think?

--------------------
...Tom

I'm not a Space Fan, I'm a Space Exploration Enthusiast.

+Quote Post
BrianL
post Sep 20 2008, 06:40 AM
Post #52

Member No.: 721

QUOTE (CosmicRocker @ Sep 20 2008, 12:41 AM) *
It is not necessary to delay in this area, unless the team feels they have unfinished business here. We have enough HiRise and other imagery to get started. They should have plenty of time to analyze the October 9/10th HiRise imagery before before they run out of driveway. wink.gif

That might not be the best approach. As was pointed out by Doug in the earlier discussions, there appear to be significant ripples on the direct path. I think the suggestion was a better route might be to head NE before heading south. This journey will be long enough and hard enough without getting part way then being forced to turn back. I would wait for the complete picture before committing to a route.

Of course, that's the intellectual part of me coming through, which in my case, will always be the minority report. The larger part of me did some mental cartwheels upon seeing this new thread, and wanted to shout, "Yeah baby, put the pedal to the metal"! Well, as much as a rover can, anyway.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Sep 20 2008, 06:52 AM
Post #53

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

I'd like to see end to end HiRISE imagery before we set out - a month, maybe two - and seriously - there is still fun to be had at Victoria anyway.

How else are we going to play the part of noisy back-seat drivers?

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Sep 20 2008, 07:08 AM
Post #54

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 253

Speaking of drivers, I believe some of the real ones already heard the news and said: "Are you crazy?!?".
Just check the latest hazcam pictures (here: http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...cam/2008-09-19/) to find that Opportunity was commanded to dig in deeper in the ripple she's currently parked.
A riot, maybe?
tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Astro0
post Sep 20 2008, 07:16 AM
Post #55

Group: Admin
Member No.: 615

...before we set out - a month, maybe two...

Didn't SS say that they were going to set out on the journey "within the next week", "hit the gas probably in the middle of next week"?
This was at 26m12s into the NPR broadcast.

Maybe they have enough HiRise imagery to go on to get started. At least head off across the annulus.

+Quote Post
SFJCody
post Sep 20 2008, 07:41 AM
Post #56

Member No.: 12

Onwards!

Anyone have any idea what the maximum driving distance per day would be on this terrain if (cross fingers this won't happen) one of the wheels did fail? I'm thinking it might be further than Spirit has been able to achieve in rocky Gusev.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
ustrax
post Sep 20 2008, 08:38 AM
Post #57

Special Cookie

Member No.: 228

QUOTE (Astro0 @ Sep 20 2008, 08:16 AM) *
...before we set out - a month, maybe two...

Didn't SS say that they were going to set out on the journey "within the next week", "hit the gas probably in the middle of next week"?
This was at 26m12s into the NPR broadcast.

Maybe they have enough HiRise imagery to go on to get started. At least head off across the annulus.

Yeap...that is correct...
Here's the rough transcript, including the 100 meters (or more!) driving distance per day...:

"IF - When will the rover decide to go on that journey? Kick the tires and getting going?

SS - I think it’s probably going to be within next week Ira…we’ve pretty much finished up our work at Victoria Crater…we’re hit gas probably middle of next week.

IF - Wow…and how far per day gonna make its way?

SS - We think that we can average a 100 meters each day that we drive and…I…you know…I should point out what you asked Alfred earlier, was HiRISE envolved in planning this drive and his response was actually way too modest…the reality is that HiRISE is what is enabling this drive. We wouldn’t dare try this if we hadn’t the HiRISE data but what HiRISE does is provides us with spectacular roadmap that tells us how to get from here to where we’re going so…we think that with the HiRISE data as a guide we can probably do better than a hundred meters a hundred yards in a day."

Regarding the NE path...that reminded me of dvandorn's ABC (Doug's Athos, Porthos and Aramis) craters path, will this be it or is Oppy to follow NE but make the E turn closer to Victoria?

EDITED: SFJCody, Squyres announcement was made just two days before completing the two years anniversary of the first time you mentioned this "crazy" idea... smile.gif

--------------------
"Ride, boldly ride," The shade replied, "If you seek for Eldorado!"
Edgar Alan Poe

+Quote Post
Astro0
post Sep 20 2008, 10:03 AM
Post #58

Group: Admin
Member No.: 615

Here's a nice view of the Road to Endeavour Crater. Enjoy smile.gif
Attached Image

Astro0

+Quote Post
SFJCody
post Sep 20 2008, 10:09 AM
Post #59

Member No.: 12

There is a pleasingly fractal quality to Opportunity's (Eagle->Endurance->Victoria->Endeavour) crater hopping. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Stu
post Sep 20 2008, 10:24 AM
Post #60

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

QUOTE (Astro0 @ Sep 20 2008, 11:03 AM) *
Here's a nice view of the Road to Endeavour Crater. Enjoy smile.gif
Astro0

Enjoy?!?!? How the frak can I enjoy it when I've just fallen off my chair in shock?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?! tongue.gif You've really got to give us some kind of warning before you post things like that my friend!!

--------------------

+Quote Post

59 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:03 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.