Reply to this topicStart new topic
First Phoebe Images!
azstrummer
post Jun 15 2004, 06:49 PM
Post #16

Rover Driver

Group: Members
Member No.: 71

I've seen that technique used a lot on the Mars orbiter photos with some stunning results but I had wished the true real time stereo would be on this mission similar to what we're seeing with Mars Express. Sometimes on the Mars orbiters you have to wait months until the orbiter flies back over the same spot for the second "eye" picture. Then there's the whole question of similar lighting conditions, changes due to weather, etc. How much is a second digital camera for Christsakes. lol
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Jun 15 2004, 07:12 PM
Post #17

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 23

QUOTE (djellison @ Jun 15 2004, 11:30 AM)
QUOTE (azstrummer @ Jun 15 2004, 03:03 PM)
So does Cassini have stereo imaging capability?

Not in the same way as an MER - BUT - by taking images from two places, you can generate stereo imagery - i.e. before, and after closest approach to a moon.

Analogy = instead of using two eye to make it - use one eye, and move your whole head. smile.gif

Doug

We did that with Galileo imagery. We would take one image of a mountain on Io one orbit, that take another image the next orbit to create a crude stereo image.

BTW, the huge 2.3 MB mosaic was created by yours truly. As people here who are on other forums I am on, you can tell I am quite proud of it. Still can't wait till T0 smile.gif

--------------------
&@^^!% Jim! I'm a geologist, not a physicist!
The Gish Bar Times - A Blog all about Jupiter's Moon Io

+Quote Post
Mongo
post Jun 15 2004, 07:18 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 82

QUOTE (volcanopele @ Jun 15 2004, 07:12 PM)
BTW, the huge 2.3 MB mosaic was created by yours truly. As people here who are on other forums I am on, you can tell I am quite proud of it. Still can't wait till T0 smile.gif

That is so cool! Can you tell us more about what is coming up with Phoebe images? You must have seen many more images (and mosaics) than have been publicly released...

Bill

+Quote Post
YesRushGen
post Jun 15 2004, 08:20 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 77

volcanopele:

Oustanding mosaic!

If you have a moment, I just had a question regarding the release of Cassini images. The MER project is constantly releasing their raw images to the public. As a space-exploration-loving-person, I can say that it is a dream come true! In a way, it reminds me of the late Dr. Carl Sagan's cosmos episode "Blues for the Red Planet" where he describes eventual Mars rover missions. He says something along the lines of "...imagine everyone tuning in to see the latest pictures..." I remember as a child having to wait for the latest issue of Astronomy magazine or the National Geographic to follow the Voyager missions.

I just wonder why nothing similar has been done with the Cassini project. I mean, it's nice to see an image every day, or several in the case of the Phoebe flyby. But why is there no (near) real time uploading of the raw images as there is with MER?

Thanks for reading,

Kelly

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jun 15 2004, 08:20 PM
Post #20

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (volcanopele @ Jun 15 2004, 07:12 PM)

Right - how do I get your job? Seriously? It's what I've always wanted to do biggrin.gif (And am doing at an amateur level with MER imagery)

Doug

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Jun 15 2004, 08:58 PM
Post #21

QUOTE (Mongo @ Jun 15 2004, 12:18 PM)
That is so cool! Can you tell us more about what is coming up with Phoebe images? You must have seen many more images (and mosaics) than have been publicly released...

Bill

There aren't that many Phoebe ISS images left. There is a 65-90 m/pixel mosaic that is in preparation and might be released in the next week or so (one of the frames requires extra processing due to the mode it was obtained in). there is also the highest res image (12.3 m/pixel) that I prepared for release but I think that is in limbo (it wasn't in the mosaic because of the distance between the last frame and the 12.3 m/pixel frame). I also think there are some color images that are in preparation but again, many of the color frames were taken in modes that require "unwrapping", a mode that "wraps" the DN values to restrict saturation.

However, VIMS and CIRS (and I guess radar) also took data during the flyby so hopefully they will release stuff soon. There are some quick VIMS frames that might be released today and I have seen CIRS data so maybe they will release soon.

--------------------

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Jun 15 2004, 09:05 PM
Post #22

QUOTE (YesRushGen @ Jun 15 2004, 01:20 PM)
volcanopele:

Oustanding mosaic!

If you have a moment, I just had a question regarding the release of Cassini images. The MER project is constantly releasing their raw images to the public. As a space-exploration-loving-person, I can say that it is a dream come true! In a way, it reminds me of the late Dr. Carl Sagan's cosmos episode "Blues for the Red Planet" where he describes eventual Mars rover missions. He says something along the lines of "...imagine everyone tuning in to see the latest pictures..." I remember as a child having to wait for the latest issue of Astronomy magazine or the National Geographic to follow the Voyager missions.

I just wonder why nothing similar has been done with the Cassini project. I mean, it's nice to see an image every day, or several in the case of the Phoebe flyby. But why is there no (near) real time uploading of the raw images as there is with MER?

Thanks for reading,

Kelly

There is near real-time loading of images for me.. biggrin.gif Seriously, I don't really know. This was the way it was done with Galileo, to have a proprietary period with the data before releasing them, but I agree, I don't understand why they just don't release the JPEG versions like MER with the caveat posted that these are not for scientific usages. However, newer missions, like MER and MRO (with HiRISE) will start using the model of releasing data almost as soon as the scientists see them in order to help maintain interest.

--------------------

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jun 15 2004, 10:17 PM
Post #23

Founder

Half the reason that HiRise will get dumped out to the public so rapidly is that there are not enough scientists on the planet to analize the sheer volume of data it's going to create biggrin.gif

Seriously though...

MER and HiRise have and will set the right example. Whack out the quick-and-dirty imagery on a frame by frame basis and push it out to the public on an almost realtime basis - it's of little real scientific value as it's not properly calibrated, etc etc.

Then - after the usual embargo (6 months for MER) release correct data sets via the PDS to the scientific community and the very-keen public.

It's probably far FAR too late for Cassini to impliment anything like that, but the sheer quantity of imagery that we'll be getting from Cassini over the next half-decade or so warrants the effort to allow the public to generate some interesting eye-candy (as has been done time and time again with MER, and I did with NEAR some years ago ) and the public interest that results from that can only help in the search for more funds at Capital HIll smile.gif

It would be an excellent move for Nasa to stipulate some sort of similar methadology on all missions. Look at MODIS on Terra and Aqua - daily data pushed out usually within 6 - 12 hrs. Ditto with SOHO.

It's almost as if the BIG missions ( Galileo, Cassini ) are 'too important' to allow the public to see the raw imagery as it comes down sad.gif Then again, at 120bps, Galileo was hardly a waterfall of pretty pictures biggrin.gif

Doug

+Quote Post
Pando
post Jun 16 2004, 04:27 AM
Post #24

The Insider

Member No.: 73

I second that - they need to feed the public, that's where the money comes from wink.gif Also, the release schedule of images by ESA for Mars Express is absolutely pathetic. They are taking some stunning images (at least I hope they are) and all they have released is just a handful of heavily processed postcards.

As with 3-d imagery, please correct me if I'm wrong, but it's one thing having a stereo camera on MER taking 3d images of the landscape, but it's quite another thing having a stereo camera in orbit. The eye separation in MER is close to human eyes so images are in a correct perspective. If you put a stereo camera in orbit, the surface is so damn far away that you wouldn't able to make out any perspective differences between the left and right eye images.

So you need the eye separation to be something like many meters (or many hundreds of meters) to create the correct perspective, which is impossible to do in any way other than take two delayed snapshots using the same camera. In other words, a stereo camera for orbital images would be useless unless it's very very big.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jun 16 2004, 07:12 AM
Post #25

Founder

QUOTE (Pando @ Jun 16 2004, 04:27 AM)
So you need the eye separation to be something like many meters (or many hundreds of meters) to create the correct perspective, which is impossible to do in any way other than take two delayed snapshots using the same camera. In other words, a stereo camera for orbital images would be useless unless it's very very big.

Thats how the MEX one works - one stereo channel is forward looking, one is backward looking.

The backward looking one will see the same bit of surface as the forward looking one a short while ( and many km's ) after it. i.e....

F -> R
\ /
\ /
\ /

Doug

+Quote Post
Guest_Sunspot_*
post Jun 16 2004, 09:24 AM
Post #26

Guests

If its a case of not having the manpower or resources to release many more images, maybe they need someone from the piblic to come in voluntarily and do it.

I nominate myself for the job hehe tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
YesRushGen
post Jun 16 2004, 12:47 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 77

I think JPL or NASA itself should implement some kind of centralized standard that applies to all of their missions. Such a setup could even be cost effective, as it removes the burdon of coming up with a release method from individual missions.

All an individual mission has to do then is to "plug in" to the centralized system that houses all raw data. One would think they already have the means to ship the raw data to any of the PIs for a mission. All they need to do is add an extra destination!

Don't they already have something similar to that, ie, the PDS Imaging Node?

*Sigh* The idea probably makes too much sense to implement, however. rolleyes.gif

That being said, I'm glad we get the releases that we *do* get.

cheers everyone,

Kelly

+Quote Post
MizarKey
post Jun 16 2004, 11:00 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 45

QUOTE (djellison @ Jun 15 2004, 10:17 PM)
It's probably far FAR too late for Cassini to impliment anything like that, but the sheer quantity of imagery that we'll be getting from Cassini over the next half-decade or so warrants the effort to allow the public to generate some interesting eye-candy (as has been done time and time again with MER, and I did with NEAR some years ago ) and the public interest that results from that can only help in the search for more funds at Capital HIll smile.gif

Doug, what did you do for the NEAR project? Do you have a site? I followed NEAR closely, it was amazing to think we had a craft at an asteroid. Did you note the similarity between EROS and PHOEBE? The boulders and the craters in some of the higher res shots of Phoebe looked alot like the Eros images.

If you have processed data for NEAR I'd love to see it.

Eric P / MizarKey

--------------------
Eric P / MizarKey

+Quote Post
Baltic
post Jun 16 2004, 11:21 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 54

QUOTE (MizarKey @ Jun 16 2004, 11:00 PM)
Doug, what did you do for the NEAR project?

I think this article is about him: smile.gif

http://www.space.com/missionlaunches/missi...ics_010228.html

(@ Doug: When I joined this board I wanted to find out who runs it.)

Tom

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jun 16 2004, 11:49 PM
Post #30

Founder

QUOTE (Baltic @ Jun 16 2004, 11:21 PM)
QUOTE (MizarKey @ Jun 16 2004, 11:00 PM)
Doug, what did you do for the NEAR project?

I think this article is about him: smile.gif

http://www.space.com/missionlaunches/missi...ics_010228.html

(@ Doug: When I joined this board I wanted to find out who runs it.)

Tom

Thats me smile.gif Although now it's Ellison, 25.... biggrin.gif And if I even pull together a book on MER it'll be Ellison, 43.

Dig deep enough at http://near.jhuapl.edu you can find all the raw images from the cam onbaord NEAR - and using NASA view I dumped out some BMP's and stitched in Photoshop. It seemed like NASA wasnt making the most of some amazing images, so I thought I'd have a bit of a play.

Doug (72)

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 06:47 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.