26 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Haskin Ridge, The Eastern Route Down to the Basin
ElkGroveDan
post Oct 7 2005, 03:03 AM
Post #16

Group: Admin
Member No.: 197

QUOTE (jamescanvin @ Oct 7 2005, 12:23 AM)
I have visions of this being a long, steep, rocky outcrop as far as the eye (pancam) can see,
Well then maybe she'll wind up at the bottom a lot faster than anyone imagined blink.gif

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
stewjack
post Oct 7 2005, 05:02 AM
Post #17

Group: Members
Member No.: 379

QUOTE (odave @ Oct 6 2005, 11:27 AM)
I'm not sure what OS you're running, but any simple "paint" program that has drawing tools for lines and text could be used.  I use Paint Shop PRO for stuff like this, but the simple MS Paint program that ships with Windows is just fine.

For Unix there's GIMP, but there may be something simpler available.

The process isn't hard, just load the image into the program, find the line tool/text tool, and experiment!

The only thing that is hard is finding the time. wink.gif

Jack

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post Oct 7 2005, 10:17 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 105

I tend to run hot-and-cold on this path to Homeplate.

This is a crop from E03-00012 that I had on my 'puter. I originally worked this up to show that the proposed path is insane and risky, but the more I look, the more I think that it might be workable, though there may be problems with dust accumulation.

Here it is, with two possible paths marked, FWIW:

--Bill

--------------------

+Quote Post
RNeuhaus
post Oct 7 2005, 02:47 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 385

QUOTE (Bill Harris @ Oct 7 2005, 05:17 AM)
I originally worked this up to show that the proposed path is insane and risky, but the more I look, the more I think that it might be workable, though there may be problems with dust accumulation.
--Bill

That is good and that road is manageable. The important thing is by that way, she will be closer to many interesting sediments or rocks on the terraces.

It looks like that the rovers's has gained lots of experience and knowledge of the rover's limitations after more than one year and half driving wheel.gif

Rodolfo

+Quote Post
RNeuhaus
post Oct 7 2005, 02:49 PM
Post #20

QUOTE (Bill Harris @ Oct 7 2005, 05:17 AM)
I originally worked this up to show that the proposed path is insane and risky, but the more I look, the more I think that it might be workable, though there may be problems with dust accumulation.
--Bill

That is good and that road is manageable. The important thing is by that way, she will be closer to many interesting sediments or rocks on the terraces.

It looks like that the rover drivers have gained lots of experience and knowledge of the rover's limitations after more than one year and half driving wheel.gif

Rodolfo

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Oct 7 2005, 03:12 PM
Post #21

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 253

QUOTE (Bill Harris @ Oct 7 2005, 12:17 PM)
This is a crop from E03-00012 that I had on my 'puter.  I originally worked this up to show that the proposed path is insane and risky, but the more I look, the more I think that it might be workable, though there may be problems with dust accumulation.

Bill, I'm still in the phase of thinking that your proposed path (the red one) is insane and risky. smile.gif
That would be a real challenge if they finally take it.

I am more conservative and propose the following one:

Attached Image

+Quote Post
RNeuhaus
post Oct 7 2005, 03:27 PM
Post #22

QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Oct 7 2005, 10:12 AM)
That would be a real challenge if they finally take it.

I am more conservative and propose the following one:

Attached Image

Up to now, we still don't have detail information about :

1) degree slope of the proposed path
2) kind of land (pebbles, sand, outcrop, paved, loose sand, etc.)

These are important information to decide what path is possible to be as close as possible to the interest places. In the transcurse way, we will be getting these information before to select the route. What you have proposed is too far of interesting places (terraces and Ultreya Abyss). Up to now, we still don't know the 2 above important information.

Rodolfo

+Quote Post
general
post Oct 7 2005, 03:53 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 417

Some other points that have to be considered:
-The distance from Everest to Home Plate
-The change of season and the position of the sun in the coming weeks/months.

I believe there was an intention to park Spirit on the north slope of McCool Hill during the coming winter. Would that be before or after her visit to Home Plate?

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post Oct 7 2005, 09:30 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 105

Tescheiner, your route is more feasible. I should have noted that mine was "The Route According to JPL, As Many Understand It". biggrin.gif

I've taken your route and MOC image, my tweaked version of James Canvin's color pan and put the two together. I've indicated a 15 degree slope, which really looks steep with a 3x exaggeration. Interesting to note that the downslope part of the route appears to be on a landslide area.

--Bill

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bob Shaw
post Oct 7 2005, 09:39 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 239

Bill:

Pah! 15 degrees? We don' need no' steenkeen 15 degrees!

Yes, apart from the Sheriff bein' a (BONGGGGG), I have to agree!

Bob Shaw

--------------------
Remember: Time Flies like the wind - but Fruit Flies like bananas!

+Quote Post
jvandriel
post Oct 8 2005, 08:17 AM
Post #26

Member No.: 353

A panoramic view of part of the rocky road ahead down to the Innerbasin.

A panoramic view taken on Sol 625 with the L7 pancam.

Look at the angle of the images.

jvandriel
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
dilo
post Oct 8 2005, 09:26 AM
Post #27

Member No.: 150

Sol621: the destination way in a 12 PanCam pictures stitch (more images are coming!):
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
I always think before posting! - Marco -

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Oct 8 2005, 07:44 PM
Post #28

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 253

QUOTE (Bill Harris @ Oct 7 2005, 11:30 PM)
Tescheiner, your route is more feasible.  I should have noted that mine was "The Route According to JPL, As Many Understand It".  biggrin.gif

I had to read again Steve Squyres' last report two more times to recognise that route on it.

My first (and quick) reading gave me the (wrong) impression that his reference to "a hard right turn" was much more downslope heading ESE after the step, then just right after the step. My proposed route was made on that wrong assumption.

In any case, it doesn't change my current impression that such direct path south after the step is a real challenge. If it's doable or not is something very difficult to evaluate, if ever possible, with the currently available information.

+Quote Post
stewjack
post Oct 8 2005, 09:10 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 379

QUOTE (dilo @ Oct 8 2005, 05:26 AM)
Sol621: the destination way in a 12 PanCam pictures stitch (more images are coming!):

Fantastic color panorama dilo! If there are any visible seams in that graphic - I didn't see them.

With your permission I will keep that image on my hard drive. It should be useful for long baseline stereo, as we drop down toward the basin.

Disregarding time and resources, IMHO we can never get to many images. No one image has the complete truth.

For me, the MOC orbital images of are often difficult to correlate with the "ground truth" images. I created a long baseline animated gif of the NE basin, and then I spent hours trying to relate what I saw in the flicker, with what I saw in the MOC image.

I did much of the work for my own curiosity, but in case anyone is interested, I will post my material here. Anyone trying this should probably have all three images open in browser windows for simplfied comparisons. blink.gif

Comparison of Orbital and "Ground Truth" Imagery for NE Basin

1st: Image Overview of Basin File size 365 kB

I added some green lines to this image to draw your attention to some ridge-like features that are visible in all three images. The green lines are offset, and run parallel to the ridge features. The green lines do not cover the ridge features.

MOC-OverviewBasin-with-lines.gif

----------

2nd: SOL605 NAVCAM Crop of NE-Basin File size 344 kB

I also added some green lines to this image to draw your attention to the ridge-like features that are visible in all three images. These green lines are also offset, and run parallel to the ridge features. The green lines do not cover the ridge features.

605-NAV-crop-NE-Basin-with-lines.gif

---------

3rd: Animated GIF of NE Basin File size 571 kB

582-605-NAV-Crop-NE-Basin-flicker.gif

----------

I really like this animated gif. I managed to achieve some 3D effects with Ramon Hill, at a distance of about a kilometer. biggrin.gif

You should not consider my flicker gif's to be scientifically accurate. The separation of long baseline images is unknown, and I don't pretend to understand what I am doing when I register the images. Since I don't fully understand the process, I can only act on the results. rolleyes.gif

Jack

+Quote Post
Cugel
post Oct 9 2005, 12:36 AM
Post #30

Member No.: 120

QUOTE (stewjack @ Oct 8 2005, 09:10 PM)

8.4 on the Richter scale? ohmy.gif

+Quote Post

26 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 06:00 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.