Reply to this topicStart new topic
Haskin Ridge, The Eastern Route Down to the Basin
CosmicRocker
post Nov 29 2005, 05:31 AM
Post #376

Group: Members
Member No.: 116

QUOTE (helvick @ Nov 18 2005, 03:34 PM)
Possibly, it seems very likely that it is a dust shadow caused by windborne dust dropping out of the atmosphere as the prevailing wind passes over the hill top and slows down as it expands  on the lee side.  ...

That's what I think the origin of the areas of dark sand is, too. I once tried to explain the process, but you found better and fewer words to describe it quite nicely. smile.gif

--------------------
...Tom

I'm not a Space Fan, I'm a Space Exploration Enthusiast.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nix
post Dec 1 2005, 10:06 AM
Post #377

Chief Assistant

Group: Admin
Member No.: 136

Discussion on colorizing the images continued here;

Methods for colorization of Pancam images

Nico smile.gif

--------------------
photographer, space imagery enthusiast, proud father and partner, and geek.

http://500px.com/sacred-photons &

+Quote Post
atomoid
post Dec 1 2005, 11:25 PM
Post #378

Member No.: 196

QUOTE (CosmicRocker @ Nov 29 2005, 05:31 AM)
That's what I think the origin of the areas of dark sand is, too.  I once tried to explain the process, but you found better and fewer words to describe it quite nicely.  smile.gif

it certainly makes sense, since these deposits seems to correspond to wind shadow areas, but its still sort of an enigma: Why is it particularly only the dark dust that collects here?

Is the dark dust lighter (and hence collects there in thick deposits where it cant get airborne again, yet the less-dark (but heavier) dust does not collect here, perhaps drops out earlier)?

...or is the dark dust heavier and so it builds up whereas the lighter dust blows away, perhaps hurried along by the thermal aspects (spawning updrafts?) of the darker dusts that it cant quite settle upon in the windy conditions whereby it is able to become airborne in the first place. If it were heavier it must have been laid down under some very strong wind conditions much like river sandbar deposits during a flood, perhaps relatively long ago, and is able in these areas to keep itself clean this way (which would imply these are tip-of-the-sandberg dark sands and also exist in large deposits under many other lighter-covered areas where the winds dont keep them clean this way, or somehow)...

Note also that the dark dust is only 'dark' in certain wavelengths (and maybe its not basaltic)...
...there is probably an easier answer to be found by looking at other wind-shadow features at different scales.

+Quote Post
RonJones
post Dec 2 2005, 01:49 AM
Post #379

Member No.: 390

I wonder what Steve S. has been up to. He hasn't posted an update on the Cornell Athena rover web site for 5 weeks.

I suspect a NASA video news conference is being planned for sometime in early Jan. to mark 2 years on Mars for the rovers.

Ron Jones

+Quote Post

26 Pages V  « < 24 25 26
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 03:29 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.