109 Pages V  « < 19 20 21 22 23 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
New Horizons: Pre-launch, launch and main cruise, Pluto and the Kuiper belt
Alan Stern
post Nov 26 2005, 11:09 PM
Post #301

Group: Members
Member No.: 173

...Interesting thread here. Long ago Trafton and I calculated the heat rise in Charon
owing to tidal despinning: it's fairly negligible. McKinnon later got a similar result with
a better model. The reason Charon is devoid of volatiles on its surface is most likely due
to its lower gravity, which promotes rapid escape of volatiles that sublime into the
atmosphere. As a result, volatiles on Charon's surface suffer the fate of quickly
escaping to space, leaving behind a lag deposit of involatile mateirals (e.g., H2O,
low vapor pressure organics, dirt) that eventually grows deep enough to choke
choke off sublimation, isolating the surface from the interior. Charon might well have
interior volatiles that only reach the surface occasionaly, e.g., when a big impactor
dredges them up.

As you say, we'll look for evidence of volatile loss history when
NH reconnoiters the system.

...46 days to launch, and counting.

-Alan
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
tasp
post Nov 27 2005, 12:56 AM
Post #302

Member No.: 162

QUOTE (Alan Stern @ Nov 26 2005, 05:09 PM)
...Interesting thread here. Long ago Trafton and I calculated the heat rise in Charon
owing to tidal despinning: it's fairly negligible. McKinnon later got a similar result with
a better model. The reason Charon is evoid of volatiles on its surface is most likely due
to its lower gravity, which promotes rapid escape of volatiles that sublime into the
atmosphere. As a result, volatiles on Charon's surface suffer the fate of quickly
escaping to space, leaving behind a lag deposit of involatile mateirals (e.g., H2O,
low vapor pressure organics, dirt) that eventually grows deep enough to choke
choke off sublimation, isolating the surface from the interior. Charon might well have
interior volatiles that only reach the surface occasionaly, e.g., when a big impactor
dredges them up.

As you say, we'lll look for evidence of volatile loss history when
NH reconnoiters the system.

...46 days to launch, and counting.

-Alan

I wanna see frozen geysers and tar pits and volcanoes and mud pots on Charon!

rolleyes.gif

Oh well, whatever . . . .

Would there be any idea as to possible primodial rotation rates for Pluto and or Charon (assuming they formed with the rest of the solar system and not as a result of an 'Orpheus style' impact) ?

Can this info help tease out a possible distance that Charon may have receded from Pluto during the spin down ?

Like if Pluto and Charon both fomed with 10 to 15 hour rotation periods, can the angular momentum of Charon be 'run backwards' mathematically to derive the seperation distance at that early stage?

I'm thinking if we can get an idea of how far Charon receded from Pluto, we might further get an idea of the 2 new satellites original orbirts before they were snagged in their respective resonances (if they are in fact determined to be in resonance with Charon).

+Quote Post
Alan Stern
post Nov 27 2005, 01:20 AM
Post #303

Member No.: 173

Good ideas! Read Robin Canup's 2005 paper in Science on the origin of Pluto
and Charon via impact, or McKinnon's work in my chapter of the 1997 Pluto and
Charon U of A book. Charon probably formed near Pluto's Roche lobe,
migrating outward from there. We can trace their history back from that starting
point to the present, and the same for P1 and P2, assuming the giant impact.

And what if there were no giant impact? Then we are lost, for there is no
good competator that explains the mass ratio and angular momentum excess
of the binary.

-Alan

+Quote Post
tasp
post Nov 27 2005, 01:39 AM
Post #304

Member No.: 162

I admit to being just a little bit agnostic about the collisional origin of Charon.

{with no good reason either, I have even cited the collisional theory in regards to Charon favorably in some of my speculations on the Iapetan equatorial ridge structure}

If tidal heating of Charon doesn't provide enough BTUs for methane blow off, but persistent low gravity does, well we have an answer then.

If Charon accreted just outside Pluto's Roche lobe after a violent collision blasted material there, that might have evaporated some volatiles too, perhaps.

Once Charon formed, and 'cleared' out the reisdual debris, then it may have been quiescent ever since. Or perhaps it will be Miranda-ish, if it absorbed some 'chunkified' subsatellites that were disimilar density wise with the majority of the other 'sweepings'.

If Pluto has been substantially calm since then, too, perhaps some of the Iapetus speculations will cross pollinate back to Pluto/Charon.

+Quote Post
Guest_BruceMoomaw_*
post Nov 27 2005, 10:08 AM
Post #305

Guests

Fortunately, we have a test case -- our dear new friend the 10th Planet, 2003 UB 313. Its moon is much smaller and much more distant than Charon -- only about 250 km diameter, and 40,000 km from the planet -- but 2003 UB 313 nevertheless is coated with methane frost in amounts similar to Pluto. This suggests that Dr. Stern is right: the biggest KBOs have surface methane frost simply because they're bigger and can hold onto it, whereas CH4 frost quickly sublimates away from the exposed surfaces of smaller KBOs (including Charon).

+Quote Post
Decepticon
post Nov 27 2005, 12:27 PM
Post #306

Member No.: 114

To bad 2003 UB 313 is not close to Pluto. I would have love to have seen it after the Pluto flyby.

I got my fingers crossed for another Wopper of a KBO.

+Quote Post
Toma B
post Nov 29 2005, 10:53 AM
Post #307

Member No.: 384

Next year .....29 years after it's launch from Earth , Voyager-1 is about to become first spacecraft to go beyond 100 Astronomical Units!!!

Attached Image

Does anybody have an idea how fast will "New Horizons" travel once it passes Pluto?
What I mean is will it eventually become farthest man-made thing? huh.gif
BTW graphic is from "www.heavens-above.com"...

--------------------
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful; he studies it because he delights in it, and he delights in it because it is beautiful.
Jules H. Poincare

My "Astrophotos" gallery on flickr...

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Nov 29 2005, 11:25 AM
Post #308

Member No.: 523

It took Voyager 2 12 years from Earth to Neptune (granted, Voyager 1 is a bit faster than that), NH will travel to Pluto in less than 10 years so simple logic says: yes, eventually NH will supersede even Voyager 1. But that's quite a long way into the future, Voyagers got one heck of a head start...

--------------------

+Quote Post
ljk4-1
post Nov 29 2005, 02:27 PM
Post #309

Member No.: 430

QUOTE (Toma B @ Nov 29 2005, 05:53 AM)
Next year .....29 years after it's launch from Earth , Voyager-1 is about to become first spacecraft to go beyond 100 Astronomical Units!!!

Attached Image

Does anybody have an idea how fast will "New Horizons" travel once it passes Pluto?

Here is a starchart showing the current positions of the Pioneers and Voyagers if we could see them in the sky from Earth.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
"After having some business dealings with men, I am occasionally chagrined,
and feel as if I had done some wrong, and it is hard to forget the ugly circumstance.
I see that such intercourse long continued would make one thoroughly prosaic, hard,
and coarse. But the longest intercourse with Nature, though in her rudest moods, does
not thus harden and make coarse. A hard, sensible man whom we liken to a rock is
indeed much harder than a rock. From hard, coarse, insensible men with whom I have
no sympathy, I go to commune with the rocks, whose hearts are comparatively soft."

- Henry David Thoreau, November 15, 1853

+Quote Post
paxdan
post Nov 29 2005, 02:56 PM
Post #310

Member No.: 221

QUOTE (ljk4-1 @ Nov 29 2005, 02:27 PM)
Here is a starchart showing the current positions of the Pioneers and Voyagers if we could see them in the sky from Earth.

More details

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Nov 29 2005, 03:18 PM
Post #311

Member No.: 523

QUOTE (ljk4-1 @ Nov 29 2005, 03:27 PM)

Hm... Something looks very wrong with that map. Both Voyager 1 and 2, for example, seem to be too close to the ecliptic. I'm having a hard time reading the numbers which I assume are predictions for the given year.

Voyagers are waaay above/below the ecliptic now, that map could be an old one, I certainly wouldn't say it shows the current positions.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ljk4-1
post Nov 29 2005, 06:57 PM
Post #312

Member No.: 430

QUOTE (ugordan @ Nov 29 2005, 10:18 AM)
Hm... Something looks very wrong with that map. Both Voyager 1 and 2, for example, seem to be too close to the ecliptic. I'm having a hard time reading the numbers which I assume are predictions for the given year.

Voyagers are waaay above/below the ecliptic now, that map could be an old one, I certainly wouldn't say it shows the current positions.

If you or someone could create a current skymap of where our first four interstellar probes are, that would be wonderful. Especially one that is continually updated. And perhaps even as seen from different perspectives in space.

--------------------
"After having some business dealings with men, I am occasionally chagrined,
and feel as if I had done some wrong, and it is hard to forget the ugly circumstance.
I see that such intercourse long continued would make one thoroughly prosaic, hard,
and coarse. But the longest intercourse with Nature, though in her rudest moods, does
not thus harden and make coarse. A hard, sensible man whom we liken to a rock is
indeed much harder than a rock. From hard, coarse, insensible men with whom I have
no sympathy, I go to commune with the rocks, whose hearts are comparatively soft."

- Henry David Thoreau, November 15, 1853

+Quote Post
BPCooper
post Nov 29 2005, 07:04 PM
Post #313

Member No.: 534

QUOTE (ljk4-1 @ Nov 29 2005, 02:57 PM)
If you or someone could create a current skymap of where our first four interstellar probes are, that would be wonderful.  Especially one that is continually updated.  And perhaps even as seen from different perspectives in space.

On the satellite observing website www.Heavens-Above.com is a section "Spacecraft escaping the Solar System."

It shows live data of all of this, and includes what constellation they are in along with the Ra. and Dec. of where you can find them (not that any telescope is going to help!). There is no skymap.

--------------------

+Quote Post
dilo
post Nov 29 2005, 07:13 PM
Post #314

Member No.: 150

QUOTE (ljk4-1 @ Nov 29 2005, 06:57 PM)
If you or someone could create a current skymap of where our first four interstellar probes are, that would be wonderful.  Especially one that is continually updated.  And perhaps even as seen from different perspectives in space.

Not hard to find:
http://space.jpl.nasa.gov/
From following screenshot, is clear that Voyager2 is a lot below ecliptic (consider grandangular FOV of 120deg):
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
I always think before posting! - Marco -

+Quote Post
Comga
post Dec 1 2005, 03:18 AM
Post #315

Member No.: 415

QUOTE (Toma B @ Nov 29 2005, 04:53 AM)

I don't have the tools or data, but from the summary presentations, New Horizons will pass Pluto at a relative velocity of ~13.8 km/sec. It's nominal path will be close to radial from the sun, with some tangential motion from the Jupiter gravity assist fly-by. Pluto's velocity is about 6 km/sec, also mostly tangential to the sun, so this contributes to the relative velocity. Therefore, the velocity of New Horizons relative to the sun will be <13 km/sec. It is unlikely that it will match Voyager II's 17+ km/sec radial velocity, and so never surpass it in distance. (It is hard to beat four gravity assists for picking up speed. Pluto, on the other hand, will not make a significant change in the velocity or direction of New Horizons. I believe that it is too small.)

Anyone on the mission team should be able to find the actual radial velocity in a minute. Can someone volunteer real information rather than this guess?

+Quote Post

109 Pages V  « < 19 20 21 22 23 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 10:37 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.