5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Uranian Satellite Image Processing
ljk4-1
post Jan 24 2006, 06:39 PM
Post #16

Group: Members
Member No.: 430

QUOTE (tedstryk @ Jan 24 2006, 12:39 PM)
Funny to think of...That was my 7th birthday.  rolleyes.gif  Of course, in those days, I don't think I had even heard of Voyager 2.

You were SEVEN in 1986?

Okay, I'm officially old. Is there a face icon with a long beard and a cane?

You kids - in my day probes only flew by planets and took crude black and white images that had to be sent back at 8 bits per second. And it had to be done in a snowstorm uphill both ways!

--------------------
"After having some business dealings with men, I am occasionally chagrined,
and feel as if I had done some wrong, and it is hard to forget the ugly circumstance.
I see that such intercourse long continued would make one thoroughly prosaic, hard,
and coarse. But the longest intercourse with Nature, though in her rudest moods, does
not thus harden and make coarse. A hard, sensible man whom we liken to a rock is
indeed much harder than a rock. From hard, coarse, insensible men with whom I have
no sympathy, I go to commune with the rocks, whose hearts are comparatively soft."

- Henry David Thoreau, November 15, 1853

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ilbasso
post Jan 24 2006, 07:20 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 103

I was digging through some boxes of memorabilia yesterday, and I came across my issue of Sky & Telescope magazine with Voyager 2's flyby of Saturn. Wow, that seems like ages ago! (and I had already been subscribing for 13 years by then)

--------------------
Jonathan Ward
Manning the LCC at http://www.apollolaunchcontrol.com

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Jan 24 2006, 07:25 PM
Post #18

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 23

QUOTE (tedstryk @ Jan 24 2006, 10:39 AM)
Funny to think of...That was my 7th birthday.  rolleyes.gif  Of course, in those days, I don't think I had even heard of Voyager 2.

Good grief, I was two...

--------------------
&@^^!% Jim! I'm a geologist, not a physicist!
The Gish Bar Times - A Blog all about Jupiter's Moon Io

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Jan 24 2006, 07:36 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 523

QUOTE (volcanopele @ Jan 24 2006, 08:25 PM)
Good grief, I was two...

5 years here! biggrin.gif
Of course, back then, I didn't know squat about space, but still knew more than others around me.
I remember back in '89 thinking a lunar eclipse was due to Venus passing in front of the moon laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bob Shaw
post Jan 24 2006, 08:06 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 239

QUOTE (ljk4-1 @ Jan 24 2006, 07:39 PM)
You were SEVEN in 1986?

Okay, I'm officially old.  Is there a face icon with a long beard and a cane?

You kids - in my day probes only flew by planets and took crude black and white images that had to be sent back at 8 bits per second.  And it had to be done in a snowstorm uphill both ways!

Luxury. In my day, it were semaphore. At night, in a 'owling storm, it were. With only one flag, and that made out of me sister's frock. And she was small, due to the malnutrition, so it was a very small frock. Ragged, it was. Full of 'oles. Well, to tell t'truth, it was mostly 'oles. And they were too small to see.

You 'ad it bloody EASY!

Young people today, don't know owt.

Bob Shaw

(who actually *remembers* Mechta!)

--------------------
Remember: Time Flies like the wind - but Fruit Flies like bananas!

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jan 24 2006, 08:56 PM
Post #21

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (ljk4-1 @ Jan 24 2006, 06:39 PM)
You were SEVEN in 1986?

So was I

Doug

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Jan 24 2006, 09:26 PM
Post #22

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Group: Admin
Member No.: 33

It was 1989 that I really took up an interest, with Phobos-2 at Mars and then Voyager at Neptune. My students asked me today (I don't know how they found out it was my birthday) if it was hard revising papers back when I had to use a chisel. mad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
tty
post Jan 24 2006, 10:18 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 273

QUOTE (Bob Shaw @ Jan 24 2006, 10:06 PM)
Luxury.  In my day, it were semaphore. At night, in a 'owling storm, it were. With only one flag, and that made out of me sister's frock. And she was small, due to the malnutrition, so it was a very small frock. Ragged, it was. Full of 'oles. Well, to tell t'truth, it was mostly 'oles. And they were too small to see.

You 'ad it bloody EASY!

Young people today, don't know owt.

Bob Shaw

(who actually *remembers* Mechta!)

I remember Sputnik 1 sad.gif

tty

+Quote Post
Rob Pinnegar
post Jan 25 2006, 03:00 AM
Post #24

Member No.: 426

QUOTE (Bob Shaw @ Jan 24 2006, 02:06 PM)
Luxury.  In my day, it were semaphore.

We had to use carrier pigeons!

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Jan 25 2006, 03:14 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 15

QUOTE (volcanopele @ Jan 24 2006, 01:25 PM)
Good grief, I was two...

I was drawing breath before there were *any* artificial satellites!

Don't no one talk to me about feeling old (he said grumpily)...

tongue.gif

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jan 25 2006, 03:51 AM
Post #26

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

That Sky & Tel cover does bring back memories...

I was 18 (legal age in MT in 1980), and I spent Nov 11th--or was it the 12th?-- of that year drinking beer with my high school physics teacher--ubernerd, yeah, I know-- at the Village Inn Pizza Parlor in Butte, MT & watching the Voyager 1 Saturn pics come in on their new-fangled big projection TV!!! (The local PBS affiliate carried the NASA feed).

Second ljk4-1...we need an old guy smiley!!! sad.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Jeff7
post Jan 25 2006, 04:01 AM
Post #27

Member No.: 180

1986, I was 4. I don't know when exactly my interest in planets began, but by 4th grade, I knew more about the planets than the teacher did. I could recite the orbital times of all the planets, and the diameters of some. Most of that information came courtesy of Isaac Asimov's Library of the Universe books, which were thin but informative books made shorlty after Voyager 2's flyby of Neptune. One per planet and one for the Sun.
Still remember seeing The Grand Tour video, and cringing that it would be awhile until the 1997 launch of Cassini...and then the 7 year trip too. Just seemed like forever.

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Jan 25 2006, 04:35 AM
Post #28

Member No.: 15

I was born October 17, 1955. I was just short of two years old when Sputnik 1 was launched. I was five and a half when Gagarin orbited the Earth (and I actually remember the event). I was 8 years old when Mariner 4 flew by Mars, and I was three months short of 14 when Apollo 11 landed on the Moon and when Mariners 6 and 7 flew past Mars.

I was 23 when the Pioneers flew past Jupiter, and I was 34 when Voyager 2 and PBS gifted me with "Neptune All Night."

I'll be three months shy of 60 years old when New Horizons encounters the Pluto system.

Then again, I was 48 when MER-A and MER-B landed on Mars. I'm 50 now, and the MERs are still going strong. Sort of puts it in perspective.

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
tasp
post Jan 25 2006, 04:55 AM
Post #29

Member No.: 162

QUOTE (ilbasso @ Jan 24 2006, 01:20 PM)
I was digging through some boxes of memorabilia yesterday, and I came across my issue of Sky & Telescope magazine with Voyager 2's flyby of Saturn.  Wow, that seems like ages ago!  (and I had already been subscribing for 13 years by then)

That was my first issue of my first subscription to Sky and Tel.

Have 'em all ever since.

Thanks for the nostalgia.

+Quote Post
Patteroast
post Jan 25 2006, 07:51 AM
Post #30

Member No.: 397

I know this is getting off-topic, but I had to reply...

I was about -1 then. I was born in February 1987.

So there. tongue.gif

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 03:12 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.