Rosetta flyby of Asteroid Lutetia
Stu
post Jul 11 2010, 11:42 AM
Post #106

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

QUOTE (Hungry4info @ Jul 11 2010, 11:30 AM) *
I don't believe it is. IIRC, Lutetia is expected to be mostly just black-and-white.

I just said that.

wink.gif

The posts are both marked 12:30, so your post was probably posted while Hungry was typing.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Hungry4info
post Jul 11 2010, 11:48 AM
Post #107

Group: Members
Member No.: 4270

Haha yep tongue.gif

--------------------
-- Hungry4info (Sirius_Alpha)

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jul 11 2010, 01:18 PM
Post #108

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

A composite of the last two approach images, the 'Saturn' image and the first of the high resolution set (thank you ESA and the OSIRIS team!)

It reveals an interesting fact... the last (top) image can only be made to match the others if it is flipped left to right - NOT a 180 rotation but a flip. One sequence or the other is reversed. I don't know which. I have these arranged north-up, assuming the approach images are not flipped. If they were flipped these are all south-up. The landslide crater is visible as a bright patch in the last few approach images and the Saturn image.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Jul 11 2010, 01:55 PM
Post #109

Member No.: 523

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Jul 11 2010, 03:18 PM) *
It reveals an interesting fact... the last (top) image can only be made to match the others if it is flipped left to right - NOT a 180 rotation but a flip.

I don't understand why they don't take care of this automatically in their calibration pipeline. It's not the first time this happened, either - recall the Earth flyby image with Australia mirrored left-right.

--------------------

+Quote Post
cotopaxi
post Jul 11 2010, 02:41 PM
Post #110

Member No.: 4264

I admit this is kind of a lame excuse, but the reason is most likely that the spacecraft was flipped 4 hours before closest approach (between the relevant images if I understand Phil correctly) and some of the early release images are taken from early processing levels. Normally those are then rotated and flipped "manually". Apparently we forgot that here......

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Jul 11 2010, 02:43 PM
Post #111

Group: Admin
Member No.: 197

QUOTE (bk_2 @ Jul 10 2010, 11:25 PM) *
The similarities with Phobos are striking, the photos clearly show two families of roughly parallel grooves, in two different planes. But the grooves seem to have been obliterated over most of the surface by later big impacts.

Not just impacts, but massive impacts creating craters a significant portion of the diameter(s) of the objects. In both cases, the largest impacts probably approach the threshold for completely breaking up their respective bodies. It would make sense to suppose the massive impacts are somehow related to the grooves.

QUOTE (Hungry4info @ Jul 11 2010, 06:51 AM) *
Why are Phobos' so much more apparent?

It's a matter of perspective. Because Phobos is so much smaller, you have to get a lot closer relatively to see the grooves. It's why the hairs on a flea seem more defined than the hairs on a rabbit.

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
helvick
post Jul 11 2010, 04:05 PM
Post #112

Dublin Correspondent

Group: Admin
Member No.: 220

Lutetia's grooves certainly make it more likely that such features have an origin that does not rely on interactions with a planet, either from ring impacts or debris from large impacts on the surface of the planet. That's not to say they rule it out completely but I'm a lot less convinced about them now that we have evidence of very similar features on a body that almost certainly has never been near a planet. Shock effects from impacts, or (far less likely I think) tidal effects from passing near other bodies, seems much more likely now. The similarity with Phobos is quite spooky too.

I'm sure there will be many other interesting findings from this flyby but it's fantastic to see data come back immediately that should help develop better ideas about a really intriguing structural feature on small bodies that seems to be common and not understood.

+Quote Post
Stu
post Jul 11 2010, 09:18 PM
Post #113

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

http://webservices.esa.int/blog/post/5/1248

smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
kenny
post Jul 11 2010, 09:41 PM
Post #114

Member No.: 759

Very nice indeed... poetically rhythmic in measured time, even with the absence of normal rhyme.

+Quote Post
Hungry4info
post Jul 13 2010, 01:13 PM
Post #115

Member No.: 4270

I found a couple craters that seemed a bit strange. They have what look like crevaces jutting out of them.

These are the only two craters I've identified with this feature. Anyone have any idea as to what caused this?

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
-- Hungry4info (Sirius_Alpha)

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jul 13 2010, 01:16 PM
Post #116

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Emily mentioned these squiggly features in her blog. I think they are secondary craters from a fresh impact outside the image. Yes, I think you can have secondaries on Lutetia.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Guest_cassioli_*
post Jul 14 2010, 10:01 AM
Post #117

Guests

QUOTE (Hungry4info @ Jul 13 2010, 01:13 PM) *
I found a couple craters that seemed a bit strange. They have what look like crevaces jutting out of them.

These are the only two craters I've identified with this feature. Anyone have any idea as to what caused this?

I noticed them at a first glance.
Just rolling stones, I suppose. Not FROM but TOWARD the craters.

+Quote Post
AndyG
post Jul 14 2010, 11:23 AM
Post #118

Member No.: 279

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Jul 13 2010, 02:16 PM) *
Yes, I think you can have secondaries on Lutetia.

Naturally these secondaries would have to have impact velocities less than Lutetia's escape velocity of ~80 m/s.

That's very low. Most (?) rocky impactors would survive the event. If any were visible in a crater for a mass estimate, then it might be possible to come to some estimates with regards to the surface's strength and structure.

Job for Dawn at Ceres and Vesta?

Andy

+Quote Post
tanjent
post Jul 14 2010, 03:41 PM
Post #119

Member No.: 628

"Just rolling stones, I suppose. Not FROM but TOWARD the craters."

I like this idea, but then where are the stones? If they had rolled away again, they should've left tracks in that direction too.

+Quote Post
Guest_cassioli_*
post Jul 16 2010, 11:00 AM
Post #120

Guests

no new images yet? sad.gif

QUOTE (tanjent @ Jul 14 2010, 03:41 PM) *
"Just rolling stones, I suppose. Not FROM but TOWARD the craters."

I like this idea, but then where are the stones?

nice question. huh.gif
buried? unsure.gif

Once again I have to say they look like the tracks of intersection with rings

Some grooves are perpendicular to others...

+Quote Post

13 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 10 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 05:01 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.