Reply to this topicStart new topic
USTRAX! Here is your Abyss.
Marslauncher
post Mar 17 2007, 09:58 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 102

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/6461201.stm

Scientists studying pictures from Nasa's Odyssey spacecraft have spotted what they think may be seven caves on the surface of Mars.

well I guess that makes habitats a much easier task of creating now, plus with whatever we find in the walls of Valles Marineris.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rakhir
post Mar 17 2007, 10:22 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 495

It may be a nice target for HiRISE !

+Quote Post
Toma B
post Mar 17 2007, 10:42 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 384

Wow! laugh.gif
Nice place to send Robot-Speleologist...
I wonder if there are bats inside...

--------------------
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful; he studies it because he delights in it, and he delights in it because it is beautiful.
Jules H. Poincare

My "Astrophotos" gallery on flickr...

+Quote Post
JTN
post Mar 17 2007, 11:12 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 563

Here's the abstract. The Nature article suggests off-nadir HiRISE observations.

+Quote Post
MarsIsImportant
post Mar 17 2007, 03:10 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 1503

I'm not too surprised at all about this find. I've suspected some small but collapsed cave like structures on some of the HiRISE JP2 images. These particular ones from Odyssey are HUGE. It causes me to raise an eyebrow or two! ...but only because it seems to support what I already suspected.

I suspect there is an extensive network of caves throughout many parts of Mars that will not easily be detected from satellite. Most of the larger structures should be very deep underground (kilometers). The Martian crust may look sort of like Swiss cheese. Perhaps MARSIS can help in detecting some of the relatively shallow ones.

This discovery only provides hints as to where both the missing water and atmosphere on Mars may have disappeared to. Deep underground there maybe caves where the atmospheric pressure is great enough for stable liquid water or ice. I'm talking about places that would be measured in kilometers. But we maybe waiting for a very long time for the REAL evidence because it won't be so easy to find.

+Quote Post
tasp
post Mar 17 2007, 03:40 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 162

B)-->
QUOTE(Toma B @ Mar 17 2007, 05:42 AM) *

I wonder if there are bats inside...
[/quote]

Martian obsidian piranha bats.

Quite dangerous, but very tasty!

blink.gif

+Quote Post
nprev
post Mar 17 2007, 03:51 PM
Post #7

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Even more exciting, what about ancient sulfate stalactites, or pegmatite dikes filled with Martian tourmalines? The mind reels... blink.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
tasp
post Mar 17 2007, 03:53 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 162

Would we recognize a kimberlite pipe in any of the photos?

+Quote Post
MarsIsImportant
post Mar 17 2007, 04:37 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 1503

It sounds like, if these extensive cave networks don't exists now, they will in the future--from human activity. I think there is little question that some of these rocks exist somewhere on Mars. But where? The answer to that question would go a long way to financially support human colonization of the place.

+Quote Post
tty
post Mar 17 2007, 05:28 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 273

Considering the surrounding terrain and location these would seem to be lava caves, not karst caves. This means that they may be quite extensive (or at least long), but not very deep. And no stalagmites/stalactites unfortunately.

As for kimberlite pipes, yes they would probably be visible in a HiRise image, if they aren't covered by loose material (a very big if!). However it is far from certain that they even occur on Mars. Kimberlite pipe genesis is not well understood, so it is difficult to judge whether conditions on Mars are suitable.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Mar 17 2007, 05:57 PM
Post #11

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

We need to know more about these for many reasons, not the least of which is that they might be a nice cost-effective place to set up a base if they're extensive and capable of being sealed off...good way to get out of the UV & avoid flying a lot of shelter hardware to the surface.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Mar 18 2007, 12:54 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 15

My only concern for the suitability of these caves to human habitation is that, being volcanic (empty lava tubes and such), the only occur in regions of "recent" volcanism.

These are the most boring places on the planet, IMHO.

Also, if these cave systems are all located near and within the big volcanoes in Tharsis, then how easy is it going to be to stage useful exploration from the side of a mountain in the middle of the highest-above-datum portion of the planet? How easy is it going to be to simply deliver the gear we'd need to bring from Earth to such a location? Not a lot of atmospheric braking, that high above datum.

Now, if there was a reasonable expectation of finding cave systems branching out from the floors of the deep valleys -- *that* would be an excellent place to look for life and to dig in for human habitation.

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
SFJCody
post Mar 18 2007, 08:02 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 12

http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2005LPI....36.1051B

Meridiani caves?

+Quote Post
pch
post Mar 18 2007, 09:58 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 276

Yes, you can found stalactites in basalt cave!

When I was younger I do a lot a caving.
In 1982 we stay a few month in Hawaii to survey lavatube and climb down many pit like this one.
This look very similar to the pictures in article.

At the bottom of Mauna Ulu crater that was in eruption from 1969 to 1974 we found a cave, in fact the roof of a magma chamber, with many sulfate stalactites and stalagmites up to 1 meter in length.
They formed in less than 6 years from water drainage in the subjacent basalt.
Is this possible on Mars ? sure that Kau desert is a very wet place by comparison.

There is also basalt stalagmites in some lavatube:
But not sure if such a structure can survive billion of years.

+Quote Post
edstrick
post Mar 18 2007, 10:05 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 174

Lave-tube igneous speleothems will be about the same on Mars <and Venus, and Io> as on Earth.

Solution/Deposition speleothems are a whole different catetory. I suspect that low-altitude caves on Mars could well have sulfate mineral speleothems. If the "razorbacks" at Meridiani required liquid after the dunes were lithified and later fractured, than such mineral deposits could form in cave-like voids (or small solution cavities... sulfate geodes, anyone?)

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 03:27 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.