Reply to this topicStart new topic
December 20, 2006, HiRISE release
lyford
post Dec 20 2006, 10:51 PM
Post #16

Group: Members
Member No.: 124

QUOTE (AlexBlackwell @ Dec 20 2006, 11:05 AM) *
I've only done a cursory scan through this latest release, but I have to say that the lower part of PSP_001388_1565 ("Delta in Crater South of Parana Basin") is a good example of how HiRISE can document the distribution of small impact craters.

I am impressed at the clarity of even the preview "browse" resolution! And in this image is another good example, though I must say I don't understand how someone as bright as Sir Arthur C. ever thought dunes in channels were "glass tubes/worms."

--------------------
Lyford Rome
"Zis is not nuts, zis is super-nuts!" Mathematician Richard Courant on viewing an Orion test
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nix
post Dec 20 2006, 10:53 PM
Post #17

Chief Assistant

Group: Admin
Member No.: 136

QUOTE (djellison @ Dec 20 2006, 11:13 PM) *
I've just orded a switch of ISP from Plusnet to a different company... do you think 300-off-peak-Gig will be enough smile.gif

Doug

What ISP then. HiGig? cool.gif

Nico

--------------------
photographer, space imagery enthusiast, proud father and partner, and geek.

http://500px.com/sacred-photons &

+Quote Post
djellison
post Dec 20 2006, 10:59 PM
Post #18

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Oh, a little company in the UK - heard lots of impressive things about them - Vivaciti...a business bundle with good upload and low contention smile.gif - But for the purposes of this thread - yes - they are HiSP

Doug

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post Dec 20 2006, 11:02 PM
Post #19

IMG to PNG GOD

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 38

AAAARRRGHHHH!!!! mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif sad.gif sad.gif

Even more gigabytes of stuff I want to download and due to a network outage that started 4 days ago I'm very lucky to get a download speed of 5 KB/s, it's usually much worse (1-2 KB/s or less). Worse yet, this now seems likely to last into the beginning of January!! mad.gif mad.gif I'm currently downloading the Phoenix landing animation and downloading 40 MB has taken several hours sad.gif.

$%#&@€#{*^@°$$$%!€@# And this also happened last year on the *exact* day the first batch of Cassini images was released at the PDS and lasted for several days mad.gif sad.gif mad.gif
(sorry for this rant, I just had to vent my frustration somewhere).

I'm seriously considering switching to a different ISP but this is a huge problem because switching to a completely new email address isn't very fun (exception: less spam).

BTW what *is* the download speed you are seeing when downloading HiRISE images? My impression is that it's sometimes rather slow (with "rather slow" meaning at least 10 times faster than what I'm currently getting).

+Quote Post
Stu
post Dec 20 2006, 11:14 PM
Post #20

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

QUOTE (Nix @ Dec 20 2006, 09:13 PM) *
Here's a 100% hicrop from the gullies images -first one in the row of release #5

Nico

Thanks for that Nico; I was starting to worry that all I'd got in my cracker was a nasty, nostril-pinching plastic moustache and one of those red plastic film "truth fishes" that curl up in your hand... wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
PDP8E
post Dec 20 2006, 11:20 PM
Post #21

Member No.: 1241

I have a broadband Cable modem with 10Mbits/sec download and 200Kbits/sec upload

a 1 GByte file loads between 300KBytes/sec and 800KBytes/sec depending on 'mysterious internet loads'

That means I get a 1GByte file down in 15 to 30 minutes (the connection is very bursty - it can zoom up to 1.1MBytes/sec download for a few secs to 20 secs)

The cable is reliable (Comcast); one outage that I recall of less than 2 hours in the last 4 yrs (if its out while I am at work or sleeping -- does it count?)

--------------------
CLA CLL

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Dec 20 2006, 11:32 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 15

wowsh!!!!!!!!!! im so glad to be alive

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
CosmicRocker
post Dec 21 2006, 07:07 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 116

Hi, Ya'all, as they say around here.

Ditto, dvandorn. I finally managed to get a copy of the 1.2 gig Gusev image, and now this. Does anyone have some crops to share with those of us damned to dialup?

--------------------
...Tom

I'm not a Space Fan, I'm a Space Exploration Enthusiast.

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Dec 21 2006, 09:44 AM
Post #24

Member No.: 542

As another soul stuck at the wrong end of the telescope can I add a cropped detail request for that conspicuous little white patch on 001380_2520? (with scale bar if possible)

+Quote Post
Nix
post Dec 21 2006, 10:12 AM
Post #25

Chief Assistant

You mean this patch of 'snow'?

Nico

edit; now with 25 meters scalebar
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Dec 21 2006, 10:21 AM
Post #26

Member No.: 542

That's the one, thanks Nico. I can see now that it lies in a shallow basin. It does look very pristine, doesn't it? Probably nothing unusual, but striking in it's lonely isolation.

+Quote Post
Nix
post Dec 21 2006, 10:26 AM
Post #27

Chief Assistant

You're welcome ngunn, I've replaced it for a version with scalebar included. I immediately noticed the 'lonely' patch too, it's one of the first images from that batch I took in.

Nico

--------------------

+Quote Post
tuvas
post Dec 21 2006, 04:58 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 1062

QUOTE (Nix @ Dec 21 2006, 03:12 AM) *

Nico

edit; now with 25 meters scalebar

I've seen stuff like that in a few of the images, they are quite interesting, to say the least...

+Quote Post
kenny
post Dec 21 2006, 05:27 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 759

The "snow patch" is also surrounded by a greater density of boulders than seems to be the norm here. I was wondering if they are ejecta from a little crater which the snow patch occupies, a crater which has been deformed by the polygon-forming processes which dominate this landscpe

kenny

+Quote Post
Guest_AlexBlackwell_*
post Dec 21 2006, 05:59 PM
Post #30

Guests

QUOTE (Nix @ Dec 21 2006, 12:12 AM) *

Thanks, Nico, and I'm glad you put "snow" in quotation marks. biggrin.gif

At first glance, the light-toned material appears to be a substrate underlying the region, exposed by whatever process(es) formed that particular depression.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 04:26 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.