IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

28 Pages V  « < 25 26 27 28 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Dust Storm- Opportunity EOM, the end of the beginning of a new era in robotic spaceflight
dolphin
post Feb 17 2019, 06:20 AM
Post #391

Group: Members
Member No.: 3405

RIP Oppy

I'll never forget:

• the bulls-eye landing
  • the intact meteorite found nearby
  • The marathon distance traveled on its odometer
  • 'blueberries'
  • Endurance
  • Endeavor
  • Victoria
  • ...and water
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
marsophile
post Feb 17 2019, 06:56 AM
Post #392

Member No.: 4338

One remark at the mission-completion press conference caught my attention. It was speculated that the stuck-on heater, combined with a mistimed clock, may have doomed the rover. That would explain a lot.

This made me think of how arthritis in elderly people is not directly life-threatening, but it can cause a fall that may prove fatal.

Ultimately, human or robot cannot beat Father Time, or the Great Ghoul of Mars. But the torch is passed....

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Feb 17 2019, 12:59 PM
Post #393

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 253

I have been lurking here almost daily but a long time has gone since my last post.
This is a bittersweet situation, I'm sad to see the end of this mission but on the other hand happy while remembering the whole jouney of these rovers as followed by all of us, UMSF members. And above all I am deeply grateful to NASA and the MER project members for having made us participants of this mission, "armchair rover drivers" I would say, in particular with their decision to promptly release images to the public. That "wow!" feeling after realizing that we were the first humans looking at new scenes taken on another world just a few hours before is something I will never forget.
Thanks for this incredible adventure!

+Quote Post
neo56
post Feb 17 2019, 09:01 PM
Post #394

Member No.: 79

I remember the day I discovered UMSF, I was back then a teenager looking for fresh informations and pictures about Spirit and Oppy. I was so excited to discover this high level forum gathering passionate people, sharing panoramas and giving so precise informations to follow the adventures of these rovers. During a long time I have been reading at posts, then I timidly shared my first image processing work and identification of horizon features. Then I shifted my interests from MER to Curiosity. But I still kept an eye on the amazing little rover Oppy.
Thanks Doug for having created UMSF and thanks MER project members for having made possible to live these martian adventures!

--------------------

+Quote Post
dolphin
post Feb 19 2019, 10:07 AM
Post #395

Member No.: 3405

I too am a longtime lurker (longer than my Join date). I have a passion for planetary science (went to school for it, once worked at NASA) but lack the deep experience and knowledge the regulars here have. So...I keep my mouth shut. :-)

I really enjoy these forums.

+Quote Post
Glevesque
post Feb 21 2019, 01:31 PM
Post #396

Member No.: 7339

For all those who have followed this mission closely. I made a last update for Opportunity!

The Martian Panoramic

https://sites.google.com/site/lespanoramiquesmartiens/

Pour tout ceux qui ont suivit de près cette mission. J'ai fais une dernière mise à jour pour Opportunity !

Les Panoramiques Martiens

https://sites.google.com/site/lespanoramiquesmartiens/

--------------------

+Quote Post
phase4
post Feb 23 2019, 02:49 PM
Post #397

Member No.: 1584

To celebrate Opportunity’s spectacular journey I created a 360 degrees panoramic animation of the entire mission.
It’s 7 minutes long, raw and unpolished but I think its quite enjoyable already. Don’t forget to pause the movie when it’s going too fast. laugh.gif

Thank you Opportunity and everyone involved, it was an incredible ride!

https://vimeo.com/319041029
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sean
post Feb 23 2019, 06:47 PM
Post #398

Member No.: 7837

Wow. That was awesome! Thanks for sharing.

--------------------

+Quote Post
antipode
post Feb 23 2019, 10:36 PM
Post #399

Member No.: 1206

I second that. Outstanding.
Nice to see some cloud studies there too.

Is Oppy going to be renamed the 'something something memorial station' at some point?

P

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Feb 24 2019, 01:03 AM
Post #400

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (antipode @ Feb 23 2019, 02:36 PM) *
Is Oppy going to be renamed the 'something something memorial station' at some point?

Historically rovers haven't gotten names like this. The MER-B landing site was already named. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_extra...trial_memorials

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
Pertinax
post Mar 5 2019, 07:18 PM
Post #401

Member No.: 181

It's been a while, following quietly for the most recent several years.... bye Oppy, you are dearly missed and warmly remembered.

-- Jacob

+Quote Post
atomoid
post Mar 7 2019, 12:37 AM
Post #402

Member No.: 196

Thanks to phase4 for making that panoramic video posted above. I have really been enjoying it, having lived through the whole adventure as it happened, its especially gratifying to be able to point the viewport as if you're a passenger riding with Oppy and sort of look out the window and see what comes into view, like the dune tendrils in Endurance, the bashed heatshield, getting stuck in purgatory, those micro-craters on the long trek to Victoria, and so much more.. point your viewport to the south and watch Endeavor pop up into view, keep it trained on the ridge behind and watch solander point fade into the distance. Future rovers should upgrade the navcam system to a true 360 cam which would keep the view fluid and unobstructed by all the gaps across the sols.
Its so cool to be able to experience it this way and is something i've wanted to make a project of on my own but never quite had the experience or time to try to figure it out. Now it would really be cool if the Vimeo player had more game-like controls for playback speed, fwd, rev, fov.. or maybe if the source video format is portable to other players...

+Quote Post
MoreInput
post Mar 9 2019, 12:55 PM
Post #403

Member No.: 5156

Thank you very much, phase4, for this now two(!) videos. The first video was wonderful, and I watched it with my Samsung Gear VR. It was very impressive. As many others here I followed the mission from the very first touchdown and I could identify most of the sceneries without problems.

My question would be: What about making this a real 3D movie? You gave this answer 9 hours ago, as I found this video: https://vimeo.com/322369902. Here are the panoramas are displayed in 3D, so we can see it in real 3d with a head set. Thank you very much for this! It would be perfect to get the whole journey in 3d, maybe a little slower.

--------------------
Need more input ...

+Quote Post
marsophile
post Mar 21 2019, 06:15 AM
Post #404

Member No.: 4338

https://www.hou.usra.edu/meetings/lpsc2019/pdf/1376.pdf

Increase in RSL following the dust storm.

There are also some MER abstracts at LPSC 2019...

+Quote Post
serpens
post Mar 22 2019, 06:03 AM
Post #405

Member No.: 4605

I am not sure that this is the right thread for discussion on RSL but the abstract is quite interesting and sets out a cogent explanation for the phenomenon.

+Quote Post

28 Pages V  « < 25 26 27 28 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:14 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.