64 Pages V  « < 58 59 60 61 62 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Midnight Mars Browser, Midnight Mars Browser discussion
mhoward
post May 28 2012, 05:29 PM
Post #886

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 98

I've posted a new version of Midnight Mars Browser, version 2.1. I've done this since otherwise metadata updates will stop at the end of June, when Apple is set to discontinue iDisk. There's no rush to update - just by the end of June, if you want to keep seeing metadata updates smile.gif Please see the details here.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Jun 21 2012, 02:44 PM
Post #887

A final reminder: You'll need to update MMB if you want to keep getting metadata updates. iDisk is disappearing soon and only the new version of MMB picks up metadata from where I'm hosting it now on Amazon S3.

+Quote Post
Airbag
post Jun 22 2012, 05:16 PM
Post #888

Group: Members
Member No.: 453

As an aside, Daniel Crotty's calibrated color images have not been available for quite a while now right? Is there an alternate source?

Airbag

+Quote Post
erpol
post Aug 6 2012, 03:50 PM
Post #889

Member No.: 4343

As a side topic, is there any good will man that can adapt/create something like Howard's MMB to Curiosity?
Or do we have to search for new images in NASA's labyrinths?

MMB is way too easy to use...

I searched this topic and the FAQ topic, but I found nothing. sad.gif
Thanks,
Ermanno

+Quote Post
algorimancer
post Aug 6 2012, 04:47 PM
Post #890

Member No.: 285

QUOTE (erpol @ Aug 6 2012, 10:50 AM) *
As a side topic...[adapt] something like Howard's MMB to Curiosity?

MMB, like my AlgorimancerPG photogrammetry/rangefinding tool (APG), is dependent on "instrument kernels" which provide a mathematical description of the camera/lens systems and where they are on the vehicle, as well as a database (like the pancam tracking database for MER) which provides information on vehicle and camera orientation at the time each image is taken, completely aside from the images themselves. This information has not yet been made publicly available (or privately -- I asked). Once this information becomes available, these software tools can be adapted to handle MSL's images -- I did this for the Phoenix mission well in advance of landing. This will take a bit longer to accomplish for MSL, as the image dimensions and camera models have changed rather a lot. Of course, this will also depend on the personal time which the developers have available to work on these projects -- between MER and MSL I switched careers from programmer to statistician, and my C++ skills and free time have atrophied a bit accordingly. I'm not sure what Mike's up to lately.

+Quote Post
erpol
post Aug 7 2012, 12:40 PM
Post #891

Thank you,
I thought it was not easy to adapt MMB to MSL characteristics. In this aspect, the database should be the easyest to change. wink.gif
But mhoward said it will not develop MMB any more and I thought to ask early...
BTW I have the Phoenyx photos, just thanks to MMB. (and its author, of course).

Speaking of changing careear, I switched from a researcher to a programmer... in Fortran. (Yes, it was in the 70-ies)
So I'm the worst person to "get the ball". wink.gif

P.S. Did Michael abound in comments in his source code? Just for my Curiosity. wink.gif

Ciao,
Ermanno

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Aug 7 2012, 01:01 PM
Post #892

erpol, algorimancer: I won't be doing anything with MMB, but I'm working on something new for Mac and iOS. I don't have time to work on other platforms - Web, Windows, Android, etc.

erpol: the MMB source code is not so great, in retrospect, and my comments are poor smile.gif

Let's take any more discussion on MMB to the MMB thread or somewhere else, I don't want to clutter up the Curiosity Lands Safely thread.

Oh, and: holy wow, we're at Gale Crater.

- Mike

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Aug 7 2012, 04:35 PM
Post #893

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (mhoward @ Aug 7 2012, 05:01 AM) *
erpol: the MMB source code is not so great, in retrospect, and my comments are poor smile.gif

Don't sell yourself short, I think it looks pretty good.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
erpol
post Aug 7 2012, 05:15 PM
Post #894

Thanks to Tesheiner to move my posts here. I overlooked this Thech, General and Imagery. This is the right one.
QUOTE (mhoward @ Aug 7 2012, 03:01 PM) *
erpol, algorimancer: I won't be doing anything with MMB, but I'm working on something new for Mac and iOS. I don't have time to work on other platforms - Web, Windows, Android, etc.

Beeootiful wink.gif So we (Apple fans) are not left alone.

Well coming from Fortran-assic park, i didn't even dare to have a look.
Is it all in Java, if I remember correctly?
Let's take any more discussion on MMB to the MMB thread or somewhere else, I don't want to clutter up the Curiosity Lands Safely thread.

Oh, and: holy wow, we're at Gale Crater.

- Mike

Thank you a lot, Mike.

Ciao,
Ermanno

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Aug 7 2012, 05:56 PM
Post #895

mcaplinger: Thanks. It might be better to say I probably wouldn't write it exactly that way again, knowing what I know now.

erpol: Thanks. Yes, MMB was written in Java.

+Quote Post
algorimancer
post Aug 7 2012, 09:09 PM
Post #896

QUOTE (mhoward @ Aug 7 2012, 11:56 AM) *
...I probably wouldn't write it exactly that way again, knowing what I know now...

That's the story of life smile.gif If we could just start over from about age 14, knowing what we know now...

In the case of APG, the code is something like 6th generation derived/evolved/modified code from predecessor projects, with remnants of the odd aborted project mixed-in. I've contemplated posting it as an open source project, but that's not going to happen without some substantial refactoring which I don't have time for.

+Quote Post
Zeke4ther
post Aug 9 2012, 07:07 AM
Post #897

Member No.: 529

Post it anyway. Better to have it available unpolished then have it lost.

--------------------
-- Robin

+Quote Post
craigmcg
post Aug 9 2012, 01:52 PM
Post #898

Member No.: 336

QUOTE (mhoward @ Aug 7 2012, 12:56 PM) *
mcaplinger: Thanks. It might be better to say I probably wouldn't write it exactly that way again, knowing what I know now.

After 30 yrs in the sw business I can safely say that this is true of every project.

+Quote Post
algorimancer
post Aug 10 2012, 12:30 PM
Post #899

Mike, just FYI, the instrument kernels have appeared in the usual place, though as yet no sign of a "Mastcam Tracking Database". I may manage a navcam-only version of APG by early next week -- not sure how long it will take to integrate the mastcams into APG, as that will require a major re-write of the code.

+Quote Post
CosmicRocker
post Aug 21 2012, 04:44 AM
Post #900

Member No.: 116

QUOTE (Airbag @ Jun 22 2012, 11:16 AM) *
As an aside, Daniel Crotty's calibrated color images have not been available for quite a while now right? Is there an alternate source? ...
I was wondering about that, too. I ran into him on irc during the MSL EDL festivities. He said he was trying to get his site back online again.

QUOTE (mhoward @ Aug 7 2012, 07:01 AM) *
... I won't be doing anything with MMB, but I'm working on something new for Mac and iOS. ...
Ok, I've never owned an Apple product before, but that comment caught my attention. I went out and purchased an iPad, ostensibly as an anniversary gift for my lovely wife and most-understanding Mars Widow. I'm sure she won't complain if I install just one app on the device for my own use, do ya think? wink.gif

--------------------
...Tom

I'm not a Space Fan, I'm a Space Exploration Enthusiast.

+Quote Post

64 Pages V  « < 58 59 60 61 62 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:29 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.