Reply to this topicStart new topic
CE-2 flyby of Toutatis
tedstryk
post Dec 15 2012, 03:07 AM
Post #74

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Group: Admin
Member No.: 33

Thanks for posting that! I think you mean 5 m/pixel.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Dec 15 2012, 04:30 AM
Post #75

Solar System Cartographer

Group: Members
Member No.: 227

Shape model and slope map here:

http://echo.jpl.nasa.gov/asteroids/4179_Toutatis/hires.pdf

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Dec 15 2012, 07:37 AM
Post #76

Member No.: 1004

wow! China releases the first pics and I happen to be sleeping?!? btw it's good to be proven wrong about the number of them!
Kudos to the Chinese!

EDIT: gotta love this! in the west we tend to compare asteroids to potatoes. someone on the 9ifly forum is comparing it... to a ginger root!

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Dec 15 2012, 08:32 AM
Post #77

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Dec 15 2012, 01:09 AM) *
I wonder, were these images taken with the webcam-style cameras they used to monitor deployments and rocket firings?

is this schema is to be believed http://english.cri.cn/mmsource/images/2012...8e4073c048f.jpg they were indeed all taken using the webcams (CMOS and not CCD cameras)

• Dec13 15:25 Return solar panels to 180 degrees

from 9ifly forum, this seems to mean that the solar panel that the webcam was designed to monitor was rotated out of the camera fov

+Quote Post
Doc
post Dec 15 2012, 09:08 AM
Post #78

Member No.: 3978

Outstanding Chinese performance. Thanks for posting the images so quickly! Really took my breath away

--------------------
We talk of nothing but Curiosity here
Follow me on twitter or Google +

+Quote Post
t_oner
post Dec 15 2012, 09:30 AM
Post #79

Member No.: 508

Here is a 3D PDF of the shape model. (It is heavily optimized to be under the 1MB attachment limit.)
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Toutatis.pdf ( 416.97K ) Number of downloads: 1178

+Quote Post
machi
post Dec 15 2012, 11:14 AM
Post #80

Member No.: 4057

Here is Chinese TV show dedicated to Toutatis flyby and ChangE program.
I recommend you last few minutes (from ~55:00), where you can see some shots from planned ChangE-3 mission.

As I understand from these pictures, they tried some imaging around closest flyby distance (~3.2 km) by different camera, so maybe we can expect even better images in future.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Drkskywxlt
post Dec 15 2012, 11:58 AM
Post #81

Member No.: 1083

Congrats to the Chinese! There's some depressions that obviously look like craters there, but not as many as I'd expect and they seem "muted". Would this suggest a low-density "rubble pile" composition?

+Quote Post
Stefan
post Dec 15 2012, 11:58 AM
Post #82

Member No.: 1364

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Dec 15 2012, 03:47 AM) *
If this is an approach sequence, there may be a departure sequence as well.

Phil

I wonder if this "approach sequence" is in fact a single image shown at different sizes.

+Quote Post
machi
post Dec 15 2012, 12:41 PM
Post #83

Yes, all images are almost equal (apart from size), but this is exactly what one can expect, when spacecraft is flying in this kind of trajectory (fast and extremely close flyby). From a greater distance, it looks more like a fall.

--------------------

+Quote Post
tolis
post Dec 15 2012, 02:07 PM
Post #84

Member No.: 4216

Amazing stuff!

Apart from the sheer speed of the flyby, I would imagine that Toutatis' extremely long rotation period
(~24hr) would contribute to it appearing the same - apart from a change of scale - in all images.

Also interesting is the relative absence of craters and the presence of boulders. In this sense, Toutatis seems to
be intermediate between larger asteroids (eg Eros) where you have both craters and boulders and Itokawa
where craters are virtually absent.

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Dec 15 2012, 02:12 PM
Post #85

this is what a Chang'e 2 CMOS webcam looks like. and some treat from earlier in the mission

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Dec 15 2012, 02:31 PM
Post #86

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Comparison of the new image with the radar shape from the paper I linked to above. I think the new image is tilted a bit, with the top end tilted perhaps 20 degrees toward the camera.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Dec 16 2012, 09:53 AM
Post #87

Chinese sources such as this http://www.stdaily.com/stdaily/content/201...tent_552959.htm acknowledge that the CMOS monitoring webcam has been used. the 200 g, 1024 x 1024 pixel camera apparently shot 5 pictures every second for more than 100 seconds around closest approach. The camera has a 7.2 degree fov.
I wonder whether any science camera picture was finally taken or not. from the timeline on the left of this picture http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/12/15/...269_634x422.jpg which yaohua2000 translated here http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...st&p=195772 I think it was not even powered on.
Chinese sources also report that a domestic telescopic observation and orbit determination effort was carried out on Toutatis. This was not strictly needed for such a well known object, but was still an useful exercise for an encounter with a more obscure object.

+Quote Post
machi
post Dec 16 2012, 10:15 AM
Post #88

I have somewhat different informations about ChangE-2 cameras.
According to this abstract, CE-2 has four monitoring cameras (+ fifth camera - scientific stereo camera). Three cameras are designed to provide engineering monitoring of spacecraft (solar panel, engine, antenna) and one camera is used for moon imaging.
Moon imaging camera weights 502 g and has CMOS chip 1280×1024. Engineering cameras weights 352 g.

--------------------

+Quote Post

11 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 09:37 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.