2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Galileo IUS ignition
kwan3217
post Apr 9 2007, 01:33 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 477

There are lots of pictures of Galileo being ejected from the cargo bay of the space shuttle, but so far I haven't been able to find any pictures of Galileo when the IUS first stage lit up and Galileo departed for Venus. Is this because there aren't any such pictures?

Basically I want to see what a solid fuel motor looks like when it is fired in space. I suspect it is quite different from the billowing gray smoke we are used to seeing when one is lit in the atmosphere.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Decepticon
post Apr 9 2007, 02:06 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 114

I found this one. But thats it. http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/hattonjasonp/hasohp/GALILEO.JPG

+Quote Post
antipode
post Apr 9 2007, 02:22 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 1206

The RocketCam site has some video of some of the little Star solid motors lighting up on Delta II missions and its entirely unremarkable - just a dazzling white light.

P

+Quote Post
BPCooper
post Apr 9 2007, 03:43 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 534

There are videos taken following deployments from the shuttle in the past, but it is done so far away that all you see is a big white star or splotch in the distance.

--------------------

+Quote Post
GregM
post Apr 9 2007, 05:31 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 175

+Quote Post
tasp
post Apr 9 2007, 01:55 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 162

Regarding orientation of the shuttle to the IUS during ignition:

Since the Columbia accident, is policy to orient the shuttle to the IUS to minimize cross sectional area??

Seems like pointing the tail directly at the ignition might be preferable, damage to the TPS on a trailing surface would be better than a divot facing into the re-entry heating.

If I am overlooking something, let me know . . .

+Quote Post
djellison
post Apr 9 2007, 02:11 PM
Post #7

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (tasp @ Apr 9 2007, 02:55 PM) *
Since the Columbia accident, is policy to orient the shuttle to the IUS to minimize cross sectional area??

There's been nothing on the Shuttle launch manifest that includes an IUS since before Columbia as far as I know - certainly nothing in the ISS-Complete+Hubble list.

Doug

+Quote Post
tasp
post Apr 9 2007, 02:15 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 162

Not deploying anything with an upper stage does eliminate the concern . . .

smile.gif

{kind of obvious I haven't had my morning cup of joe . . . }

+Quote Post
BPCooper
post Apr 9 2007, 02:40 PM
Post #9

IUS is history. The last IUS took DSP-22 into orbit aboard a Titan IV on Feb. 14 2004.

Even before Columbia, there were no IUS deploys slated on the shuttle anymore. Chandra on STS-93 was the last.

--------------------

+Quote Post
nprev
post Apr 9 2007, 02:49 PM
Post #10

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Interesting. I didn't know that the IUS had been adapted for use with ELVs. How many were launched this way, BP?

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Apr 9 2007, 02:52 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 523

Seeing how the Titan IV was a kind of emergency capability mirroring the Shuttle, it's logical IUS would be compatible.

--------------------

+Quote Post
nprev
post Apr 9 2007, 02:55 PM
Post #12

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

I see. Still, it's always impressive to me to see dual-application designs like this. I honestly thought that the IUS was Shuttle-only hardware.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Jim from NSF.com
post Apr 9 2007, 03:45 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 734

DSP-14 thru 22, except number 17 flew on T-IV IUS. 17 flew on STS-44

DSP was the largest user of IUS. Before,T-IV was the CELV, only 10 launches were to be procured and DSP was a few of them. After Challenger, all moved to T-IV except the one on a previously pay for shuttle mission

The first Titan-IV was a DSP/IUS.

T-IV/IUS was an inefficient combination. It could only launch 5300lb to GSO. The IUS cost was near a T-IV Centaur. Now, an intermediate EELV could launch it. But due to many things including fairing requirements, DSP-23, the last one, is fly on a D-IV heavy

Since most Shuttle/IUS missions were performance critical, the RMS did not fly on them

+Quote Post
BPCooper
post Apr 9 2007, 04:03 PM
Post #14

There is a brief rundown here too:

http://www.spaceflightnow.com/titan/b39/index.html

"Saturday's mission was the 24th and final IUS launch. Dating back to 1982, IUS motors flew aboard 15 space shuttle missions, eight Titan 4 rockets and a single Titan 34D, launching NASA's Magellan space probe to Venus, Galileo to Jupiter, Ulysses to the sun, the Chandra X-ray Observatory, the original fleet of Tracking and Data Relay Satellites, plus many military spacecraft, including a few classified ones."

--------------------

+Quote Post
Littlebit
post Apr 9 2007, 05:16 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 1041

QUOTE (kwan3217 @ Apr 8 2007, 07:33 PM) *
Basically I want to see what a solid fuel motor looks like when it is fired in space. I suspect it is quite different from the billowing gray smoke we are used to seeing when one is lit in the atmosphere.

Good question. The solid propellants used are similar in composition to the ground-launched solids, but the nozzle is relatively longer - the motor is more efficient in a vacuum, and the turbulence much, much less - so the plume, if it could be seen, would still be 'gray' but not 'billowing'.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 03:46 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.