Reply to this topicStart new topic
Formal Pro-Am & Pro UMSF Involvement?
Thu
post Sep 10 2007, 02:47 PM
Post #16

Group: Members
Member No.: 1164

QUOTE (algorimancer @ Sep 8 2007, 08:37 PM) *
Note that the contribution of UMSF need not be direct involvement in research, but might alternately involve facilitation of the infrastructure of the mission (software, hazard detection, identification of targets of opportunity, [naming rocks biggrin.gif ], etceteras) which allows the MSL team to spend more attention on research than they otherwise could.

Cool! To think of being able to participate in a real Mars mission could make many people here excited, including me rolleyes.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
djellison
post Sep 10 2007, 08:47 PM
Post #17

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Let's have a dose of realism here. There's no way that mission critical issues such as hazard detection, software etc are going to be an amateur contribution - that's highly unrealistic. That stuff is developed by peope within the ITAR legal 'firewall' - and unless you're inside it - you're not going to be a part of it.

The best way forward is to extoll the virtues of the amateur community, highlight what has been achieved ( specifically things such as APOD 'hits', mag covers, or work such as MMB ), and then make the case that putting raw images online as quickly as possible with enough information to make them as usefull as possible - without the help of something like the PCTDB which makes MMB possible today.

MER and NH have set a new standard for outreach w.r.t. people like us. Let's work to make sure MSL can match that - and then work to see other missions (and agencies) begin to match it before pushing the standard higher, or suggesting it be in a place that is not only overly optimistic, but also a legal and flights ops impossibility.

Doug

+Quote Post
climber
post Sep 10 2007, 09:28 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 682

I pretty much agree to what you say Doug,
When I see some PI's and/or people involved in a mission posting here, taking time to answer questions, (and even MY questions) I personaly feel involved as an Am. I guess that the high standards of UMSF make it to those people and this is so far how Ams are involved with Pros, and this is much more than I was expecting say, 3 years ago.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Sep 10 2007, 10:42 PM
Post #19

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 98

I tend to agree with you, Doug. The interesting question to me is what can the outside community contribute that the folks inside the firewall don't have time for or couldn't release to the public themselves for whatever reasons (and we see examples of that here every day).

+Quote Post
Thu
post Sep 11 2007, 03:12 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 1164

I got it, Doug. We'll do it step by step.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 11:29 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.