Closed TopicStart new topic
MSL Cruise Phase
climber
post Dec 4 2011, 06:52 PM
Post #76

Group: Members
Member No.: 682

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Dec 4 2011, 05:19 PM) *
Someone else pointed this out to me on the Atlas fairing on the Juno launch -- I think it's an Atlas V thing, and is normal.

Yes, very visible indeed! Must be normal if already hapened before but quite a big device.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Dec 4 2011, 07:04 PM
Post #77

Member No.: 1004

QUOTE (Mars Attack @ Dec 4 2011, 03:57 PM) *
I'm a bit concerned about the reported reset of the MSL computer and safemode due to a star tracker. If this reset had happened in the middle of the upcoming trajectory correction burn, originally schedules a week or so post anomaly, wouldn't this have been disastrous?

beside the fact that missing the first trajectory correction would still leave plenty of time to recover, I think star trackers are not used during burns in order not to mislead them into tracking particles or small debris.

+Quote Post
centsworth_II
post Dec 4 2011, 07:18 PM
Post #78

Member No.: 132

QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Dec 4 2011, 10:42 AM) *
There is extra fuel aboard and my understanding is that due to a precise initial burn they have already delayed the first TCM by a month or so...
I saw this too, but it confuses me. As I understand it, the initial burn aimed away from Mars and the 1st TCM was to aim at Mars. How could a precise burn aiming away from Mars affect the timing of the first TCM?

+Quote Post
djellison
post Dec 4 2011, 08:23 PM
Post #79

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

From http://trs-new.jpl.nasa.gov/dspace/handle/2014/41883

The first three TCMs will be jointly optimized to reduce propellant consumption and fulfill
planetary protection requirements, with TCM-3 being the first TCM that is targeted to the final
entry interface point
. TCM-4 and TCM-5 will be used to improve the delivery accuracy at the entry
interface, while TCM-6 is a contingency maneuver opportunity that is not needed to achieve the
required entry interface accuracy, but is available to correct an unplanned late anomaly

My understanding is that TCM 1 was only ever about backing out injection errors...and as they are so small, there's no need for it.

+Quote Post
Guest_Oersted_*
post Dec 4 2011, 08:43 PM
Post #80

Guests

QUOTE (Hiwayman @ Dec 4 2011, 04:56 PM) *
Sorry for this being posted in the wrong forum, but the launch topic is closed. Did anyone notice the "umbilical" or "hose like" aperture that was still attached to the fairing during launch? It was about 10' - 15' ft from the top of the nose and protruded out about 3-4 feet? Not all cameras caught it, but it was clearly visible on the camera that showed the fairing separation, and another ground based camera. Once the fairing was ejected, the aperture went with it, so it became a mute point, but it sure looked like it was something that should have been left on the ground rather than fly with the vehicle. Did anyone see it? It obviously did not affect the trajectory as it was close to perfect.

At NASASpaceflight.com they have a drinking game going on for every time this question is being asked (ps: better to ask a question about it than just assuming it is an error):...
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=27385.360

???
I was rewatching the curiosity launch and noticed a thin bent tube rocket firing on the side of the fairing right before fairing sep...what is the engineering and aerospace reasoning for this?
LH2 vent fin

Atlas V launch drinking game: when someone asks this question, drink. When someone answers accurately, drink. If Jim is first, drink again.

And as to what it actually is, it is called the LH2 vent fin.

Supremely uncatastrophical explanation here:

"Its a LH2 vent fin — a small pipe. The RL-10 engine, which powers the second stage of the rocket and is enclosed inside the fairing, uses liquid hydrogen as fuel. The LH2 is constantly boiling off producing gas, some of it is used to keep the tank pressurized, the rest must be vented overboard as a gas (it is not ignited) to avoid an explosive situation in the enclosed and confined interstage area while the RL-10 engine is inactive.
After the fairing is jettisoned, the H2 gas is simply vented directly to space causing the flare/glow that you see.
As far as any thrust is concerned resulting from the venting, it is trivial compared to the muscle of the RD-180 engine which powers the first stage — there is a lot of control authority from it."

Engineering drawings here:
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=26327.345

+Quote Post
nprev
post Dec 4 2011, 08:49 PM
Post #81

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Yeah, it really was a sweet launch...and major kudos again, Doug, for the Eyes On The Solar System sim of the journey.

Best...Christmas...toy...EVER!!! smile.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Mars Attack
post Dec 4 2011, 11:00 PM
Post #82

Member No.: 2029

Mr. Doug Djellison, any chance that you could expand your totally awesome sim of the MSL journey to include a realtime EDL phase so all of us can watch a second by second, sweat producing and heart stopping animation all the way to the touchdown. Just a suggestion. Thanks for all you do for this forum.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Dec 4 2011, 11:12 PM
Post #83

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

We hope to - but it's entirely a matter of budgets. I can't promise anything. I will say that it is highly unlikely that such a thing would be driven by realtime telemetry during EDL for a wide range of reasons to long to discuss here. It would likely be driven by a predicted series of events, with key moments triggered manually at JPL.

+Quote Post
climber
post Dec 5 2011, 11:38 AM
Post #84

Member No.: 682

QUOTE (djellison @ Dec 5 2011, 12:12 AM) *
We hope to - but it's entirely a matter of budgets. I can't promise anything. I will say that it is highly unlikely that such a thing would be driven by realtime telemetry during EDL for a wide range of reasons to long to discuss here. It would likely be driven by a predicted series of events, with key moments triggered manually at JPL.

Doug, I didn't tell you yet but yes, your "sim" is one order of magnitude better than the one we had for MER...which was already awesome.
Regarding realtime (I was about to ask actually) we have some experience there with live comments been off set with the images (like "we should be on the ground by now..."), the parachutte deployment been "decided" by the real hardware and then been informed when it actually happened "parachutte deployed xxx second later than calculated). I guess we know this but anyway.
So, if buget's ok...we'll be glad to have us the feeling of been there instead of only eating peanuts.

--------------------

+Quote Post
punkboi
post Dec 7 2011, 05:57 AM
Post #85

Member No.: 535

You can now view MSL's current position in space on JPL's Solar System Simulator

http://space.jpl.nasa.gov/

--------------------

+Quote Post
Syrinx
post Dec 7 2011, 07:56 AM
Post #86

Member No.: 4168

http://space.jpl.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/wspace?t...=1&showac=1

MSL and inner planets. Long journey ahead.

+Quote Post
Lucas
post Dec 7 2011, 02:56 PM
Post #87

Member No.: 1709

For the impatient among us... wink.gif

http://space.jpl.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/wspace?t...=1&showac=1

in very good agreement with the "countdown" clock at the MSL site (obviously!)

+Quote Post
pospa
post Dec 14 2011, 02:32 PM
Post #88

Member No.: 5979

T +18 days - MSL has about 9% of its cruise done and starts to collect first scientific data - RAD instrument is on.

+Quote Post
punkboi
post Dec 14 2011, 10:27 PM
Post #89

Member No.: 535

Where is Curiosity now? There's now a dedicated page on its mission website

http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl/mission/whereistherovernow/

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_Lunik9_*
post Dec 26 2011, 09:28 AM
Post #90

Guests

New sunspot 1387 erupted during the late hours of Christmas Day, producing an M4-class flare and hurling a Coronal Mass Ejection - CME toward Earth and Mars.

The CME is expected to deliver a glancing blow to Earth's magnetic field on Dec. 28th at 1200 UT and a direct hit to the planet Mars on Dec. 30th at 1800 UT.
Using onboard radiation sensors, NASA's Curiosity rover might be able to sense the CME when it passes the rover's spacecraft en route to Mars. unsure.gif

Here on Earth, NOAA forecasters estimate a 30-to-40% chance of geomagnetic storms on Dec. 28th when the CME and an incoming solar wind stream (unrelated to the CME) could arrive in quick succession. High-latitude sky watchers should be alert for auroras on Wednesday night.

+Quote Post

13 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:54 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.