Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Subsolar point
jmknapp
post Jun 30 2008, 03:21 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 13

Anyone know of a web app or program that shows the current subsolar point on the Sun on the Earth (and displays the latitude & longitude)?

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
vk3ukf
post Jul 7 2008, 08:03 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 3991

QUOTE (jmknapp @ Jun 30 2008, 04:21 PM) *
Anyone know of a web app or program that shows the current subsolar point on the Sun on the Earth (and displays the latitude & longitude)?

Hi jmkapp,

if you mean the points on the Earth that are directly below the celestial object in question.

I use a satellite tracking prgram called Wxtrack by David Taylor.

It shows those points for the Sun and the Moon as a large yellow circle and a grey cricle with phases.

Give that a whirl. You will need to set it up to your location on Earth and timezone.
If you want to follow any spacecraft such as the ISS (Space Station) you will need to download the keps (keplerian elements) for the spacecraft of your choice. Get the keps from Celestrak website.

+Quote Post
jmknapp
post Jul 8 2008, 12:04 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 13

QUOTE (vk3ukf @ Jul 7 2008, 03:03 PM) *
I use a satellite tracking prgram called Wxtrack by David Taylor.

Thanks for the tip--I just tried that program & it seems very nicely done. I wish the Sun & Moon lat/lon were printed as well as shown graphically though. I want to test the accuracy of another program & need a benchmark to compare against.

Nice to see T. S. Kelso is still in business--haven't tried satellite tracking in a while. It's kind of a trip to predict when a piece of, say, Soviet space junk from 1960 will be visible overhead, and then there it is.

--------------------

+Quote Post
vk3ukf
post Jul 8 2008, 01:07 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 3991

QUOTE (jmknapp @ Jul 8 2008, 01:04 AM) *
Thanks for the tip--I just tried that program & it seems very nicely done. I wish the Sun & Moon lat/lon were printed as well as shown graphically though. I want to test the accuracy of another program & need a benchmark to compare against.

Nice to see T. S. Kelso is still in business--haven't tried satellite tracking in a while. It's kind of a trip to predict when a piece of, say, Soviet space junk from 1960 will be visible overhead, and then there it is.

No worries Joe, I'll keep this in mind, something is ringing a bell somewhere in my head, I just can't quite hear the tone.

If I remember or find something, I'll fly back in.

Kevin.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 11:28 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.