2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Juno- Satellite Observations
Ken Arromdee
post Jun 16 2016, 07:23 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7601

I know this mission is not meant to study any Jovian satellites, but is Juno going to, by chance, pass near enough to any satellites (particularly small, not well imaged satellites) that it could take any useful pictures of them? (Or will it be possible to finagle the final de-orbit burn to send it past a satellite for this purpose?)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
centsworth_II
post Jun 16 2016, 07:39 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 132

At the press briefing it was stated that although Juno will not get close to Jupiter's moons it will be taking pictures and because of it's polar orbit will get never before seen looks at the moons.

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Jun 16 2016, 08:37 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 6780

In the Planetary Radio talk I've referenced, Candy Hansen mentioned, that Juno is planned to get close to one of the Ring moons. But since those moons are tiny, the moon is expected to show up as a small spot only.
--- Might be, that positional data of the moon can be refined this way.

[I'd think, this thread should better be merged to the Jupiter approach thread.]

+Quote Post
Glenn Orton
post Jun 17 2016, 01:03 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 7899

QUOTE (Ken Arromdee @ Jun 16 2016, 11:23 AM) *
I know this mission is not meant to study any Jovian satellites, but is Juno going to, by chance, pass near enough to any satellites (particularly small, not well imaged satellites) that it could take any useful pictures of them? (Or will it be possible to finagle the final de-orbit burn to send it past a satellite for this purpose?)

We may get some observations of satellites, but it's not the focus of the mission, and anything we obtain will probably not rival anything obtained by a previous mission regarding spatial resolution. I think the Juno engineers will consider 'finagling' a very low priority compared to making a successful plunge into the atmosphere to protect Europa from encounters with the Juno spacecraft. Our opportunities to get any observations of satellites is limited by our polar orbits, as has been noted already. In fact, our best continuous images of the Galilean satellites may be taking place right now with what we call the Approach Movie. This will be released on July 4.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jun 17 2016, 05:47 AM
Post #5

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

MOD NOTE: Edited topic title to make it a generic thread for Jovian satellite observations by Juno. Since there aren't likely to be very many, this may suffice for the mission. However, if subtopics are required we'll split them off as needed.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Steve G
post Jul 23 2020, 05:15 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 624

New images of Ganymede from Juno.

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/jpl/nasa-juno-...edes-north-pole

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Jul 24 2020, 05:16 PM
Post #7

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 23

Decided to start a new topic [I see there was already a topic from four years ago so I'm merging the two] for the discussion of Juno observations of the Galilean satellites, mostly because many of the best observations are by JIRAM and data from that instrument takes a few months to a year to show up in the PDS. There have been observations of moons via JunoCAM at lower resolution that have been useful, like observations of the Chalybes plume at Io.

The other day, the JIRAM team had a press release showing off their observations of Ganymede from PJ24:

https://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA23988

They don't say in the caption but I presume that the blue and green channels use L band data (3.455 µm) and the red channel uses M band imaging (4.78 µm). Let's take a look at the M band data since there are more surface feature contrast:

Attached Image

at first glance that doesn't really look much like Ganymede does it? What if we do a quick invert of the brightness values?

Attached Image

Okay, now it is starting to look like the Ganymede we know. The bright regions in the original image are the dark "Regios" (specifically, the one of the right in each image is Perrine Regio). The dark spots in the original image are bright at visible wavelengths and are the icy ray of relatively fresh impact craters. This invert method works because water ice absorbs light at 4.78 microns, so ice rich areas are dark while comparatively ice-poor regions are bright. So inverting the 4.78 micron images gives something that better resembles visible light images.

For a comparison, here is a Cosmographia preview of the middle image:

Attached Image

--------------------
&@^^!% Jim! I'm a geologist, not a physicist!
The Gish Bar Times - A Blog all about Jupiter's Moon Io

+Quote Post
JRehling
post Jul 26 2020, 01:00 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 321

That's a cool demonstration, Jason. If you wanted to take it one step further, another factor determining luminance across the image is the phase angle, so if you divided those by images of lambertian spheres at the same phase, you'd get a closer match to the local albedo. (Mainly, the terminator would not seem excessively bright.)

+Quote Post
Antdoghalo
post Jul 26 2020, 07:30 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 4972

Unfortunately it didn't hit the small unmapped region near the north pole on the other hemisphere. It is nice to see Juno can image the Galileans with detail. Even if low resolution, any imagery of that area would be suitable to fill in the roughly 3 percent of Ganymede Galileo missed. Juno's orbit is adequate to imaging the unmapped areas around the poles.

--------------------
"Thats no moon... IT'S A TRAP!"

+Quote Post
Decepticon
post Jul 27 2020, 07:06 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 114

Any more future bonus moon images?

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Jan 21 2021, 10:35 PM
Post #11

Finally got around to adding a Juno section to my small webpage of Io images:

https://pirlwww.lpl.arizona.edu/~perry/Juno/

Mostly consists of JIRAM data though there are a few JunoCAM images thrown in. Tried to maintain a standard format of the summed JIRAM image on the left and a gradient map version overlaid on an Io basemap on the right. Images are magnified 10x from the original data.

For PJ57 and 58, there are some sample JunoCAM preview images, though keep in mind that JunoCAM will not get all those images due to data volume considerations and other constraints.

--------------------

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Feb 8 2023, 03:35 PM
Post #12

Updated the above page to include images from PJs 40, 41, 43, and 47. Sorry that took a bit longer than expected.

https://pirlwww.lpl.arizona.edu/~perry/Juno/

--------------------

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Jul 24 2023, 11:41 PM
Post #13

Another update to my Juno image page, now with JunoCam images from PJ51 and JIRAM data from PJ47. I also updated the hotspot map.

https://pirlwww.lpl.arizona.edu/~perry/Juno/index.html

--------------------

+Quote Post
Antdoghalo
post Jul 31 2023, 04:36 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 4972

Do you plan to map the Juno images too?

--------------------
"Thats no moon... IT'S A TRAP!"

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Jul 31 2023, 05:12 PM
Post #15

I do have JunoCam maps in Arc Pro. Maybe I'll release a few with PJ53.

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 05:27 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.