19 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 12 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
MEX VMC - Back on, and online!
machi
post Nov 25 2009, 06:51 PM
Post #136

Group: Members
Member No.: 4057

Wow! Especially the last one looks very cool. Maybe with some destripping technique that can be even better.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Nov 25 2009, 07:04 PM
Post #137

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

Getting rid of the stripes would be nice. Can you suggest any specific workflow in GIMP or Photoshop that would reduce that effect? Or any other software out there?

--Emily

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Nov 25 2009, 07:16 PM
Post #138

Administrator

Here's what that same channel-mixing algorithm as in "version 4" above does to a half-phase photo containing the Tharsis Montes.
Attached Image

And heres's that same image, except this time I subtracted 20% each of red and blue channels from the green. I think I'm beginning to get too cute with all this channel mixing though. I differenced the two and found almost no difference between them.
Attached Image

--Emily

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Nov 25 2009, 07:29 PM
Post #139

Member No.: 197

What the heck is that angular smudge shape in the lower right quadrant?

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Nov 25 2009, 07:42 PM
Post #140

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

It's a camera artefact, there's some funky internal reflections and god knows what else going on with it.

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Nov 25 2009, 07:48 PM
Post #141

Member No.: 197

QUOTE (djellison @ Nov 25 2009, 11:42 AM) *
It's a camera artefact, there's some funky internal reflections and god knows what else going on with it.

It reminds me of an emulsion tear on the old Cibachrome photo paper, (1970s before you kids were born.)

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Nov 25 2009, 08:41 PM
Post #142

Member No.: 523

I've long been contemplating a flatfield for the camera, but the trouble is it's not trivial to generate one from non-blank images such as we get. I wasn't also sure if it would make much difference. Turns out it does help, as an exercise I stacked 6 or so recent frames and selected a (small!) portion of the resulting image that provided best noise reduction as a makeshift flatfield. Here's a comparison of an image without this section multiplied out (though in photoshop which does not do proper multiplication AFAIK). See if you can figure out which bit was flatfielded:

Attached Image

The "flatfield" still has some residual surface details from the original image and is obviously not spatially uniform. If I pursue this further and it turns out good, I may add automatic flatfielding to the vmc2rgb tool.

--------------------

+Quote Post
djellison
post Nov 25 2009, 09:23 PM
Post #143

Founder

I wonder if there's an observation we could request that could emulate a flat-field.

This is my post VMC2RGB efforts for a few 2009 sequences.

Just realised some of the movies are stupidly long - but the motive behind making them .movs was that in quicktime you can scrub backwards and forwards really easily.
Attached thumbnail(s)

Attached Image

Attached File(s)
Attached File  09_324.mov ( 196.56K ) Number of downloads: 633
Attached File  09_182.mov ( 249.14K ) Number of downloads: 537
Attached File  09_186.mov ( 189.45K ) Number of downloads: 486
Attached File  09_187.mov ( 198.89K ) Number of downloads: 500
Attached File  09_191.mov ( 186.29K ) Number of downloads: 497
Attached File  09_192.mov ( 171.21K ) Number of downloads: 521
Attached File  09_200.mov ( 181.24K ) Number of downloads: 526
Attached File  09_322.mov ( 362.73K ) Number of downloads: 531

+Quote Post
JohnVV
post Nov 25 2009, 09:51 PM
Post #144

Member No.: 4489

Can you suggest any specific workflow in GIMP

about the only thing in gimp 2.6.7 would be the gimc "graystrastion"

there is an isis3 way
run a highpas with something like 301x 3
and a lowpas with 3x33 and add then together in algebra
play with the two boxcar sizes

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Nov 25 2009, 10:36 PM
Post #145

Administrator

QUOTE (ugordan @ Nov 25 2009, 12:41 PM) *
Here's a comparison of an image without this section multiplied out (though in photoshop which does not do proper multiplication AFAIK). See if you can figure out which bit was flatfielded...

If I pursue this further and it turns out good, I may add automatic flatfielding to the vmc2rgb tool.

It's a definite improvement. The area most affected by the flatfielding also appears smoother -- I thought that was all noise, but does the success of the flatfield suggests it would be something that could be flatfielded out?

Please please add into vmc2rgb! smile.gif

--Emily

--------------------

+Quote Post
djellison
post Nov 25 2009, 10:44 PM
Post #146

Founder

Why have I not been playing with this stuff more. There's a lot of crescent obs that i just don't think are recoverable to being particularly attractive - but some stuff earlier in the year was awesome smile.gif

Attached - rolled-out action of my saturation + channel tweaking post vmc2rgb
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Nov 25 2009, 11:04 PM
Post #147

Administrator

What logic led you to that channel math, I'm curious? Or was it just the result of fiddling? My thinking was that if there was bleeding from one channel to another, then I ought to subtract the extreme channels from each other...

--------------------

+Quote Post
djellison
post Nov 25 2009, 11:06 PM
Post #148

Founder

Pure artistic tweakery.

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Nov 25 2009, 11:13 PM
Post #149

Member No.: 523

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Nov 25 2009, 11:36 PM) *
The area most affected by the flatfielding also appears smoother -- I thought that was all noise

It's noise, but it's static noise for the most part, indicating it's down to individual pixel sensitivities. Which can easily be corrected given an adequate flatfield. I don't think other noise sources even begin to matter in such a simple, 8 bit camera.

The difficult bit is not adding an algorithm for this into the tool, it's creating a flatfield in the first place.

--------------------

+Quote Post
djellison
post Nov 25 2009, 11:26 PM
Post #150

Founder

I wonder if by virtue of imaging far closer to mars, on more featureless areas, possibly during dust storms - we might be able to generate a flatfield of some sort.

I'm also wondering if it's worth suggesting to the VMC team that they could well avoid the four different exposure settings, stick with the 2nd of the 4, typically, and either quarter the downlink, quadruple the frame rate, or quadruple the observation duration. There seems to be a pattern of one under exposed, one slightly over exposed and one saturated image for every well exposed image. It's not like we're going to be pulling HDR images out of this stuff.

If we can then constrain observations to that one exposure setting - then we can have just one dark field image, one flat field image, and be much better equipped to process the images.

+Quote Post

19 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 12 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:56 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.