4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Steve Squyres Q & A - The Mp3
craigmcg
post Sep 8 2005, 10:15 PM
Post #16

Group: Members
Member No.: 336

One area that didn't get discussed much was the current state of Oppy. I know I'm a little curious about the current tactical situation there, from the rover driver perspective.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jamescanvin
post Sep 8 2005, 11:59 PM
Post #17

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 16

Just to echo everyone above, that was a really great interveiw Doug, perfect questions and structured just right, thanks. Not only that but it was JUST short enough for me to listen to before leaving for work this morning.

Cheers,

James

--------------------
Twitter
Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here

+Quote Post
CosmicRocker
post Sep 9 2005, 07:11 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 116

Oh! My! God! That was the most amazing interview with Steve Squyres that I ever hoped to hear. Doug, you really should contact the BBC for a job. I never could have imagined taking the many disparate questions that the members of this community have posted over the life of this mission, and melding them into that wonderful discussion. It was very apparent that you and Steve were communicating on the same wavelength, and the result was astounding.

As mhoward previously noted, "It's great hearing Steve address an audience that doesn't need to be educated on rover basics - there are so many more details in there than in other interviews."

My sincerest thanks to both of you, for a deeper glimpse into Martian Planetology. I am going to have to listen to that interview very carefully, a few more times...

--------------------
...Tom

I'm not a Space Fan, I'm a Space Exploration Enthusiast.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Sep 9 2005, 10:57 AM
Post #19

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

112 people have downloaded it so far smile.gif

Glad everyone likes it biggrin.gif

If anyone from the BBC is reading. Yes - I would like a job as a science reporter, particularly in the space field.

Doug

+Quote Post
edstrick
post Sep 9 2005, 11:23 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 174

Thanks for the MP3.. now I have to find time to listen to it with 3 brain cells still running.

I have most of the MER press briefings <and landing> on VHS and the most recent one on DVD-R. I intend to transfer all to DVD and hope to make them available.

Does anybody have the talk Squyres gave on MER at Ames a year ago, July?... it was a wonderful talk, full of info.. and I've never been able to capture it. The f__kwits at NASA TV reshow stuff without warning for a while, then it's gone forever.

+Quote Post
SkyeLab
post Sep 9 2005, 11:44 AM
Post #21

Member No.: 101

"If anyone from the BBC is reading. Yes - I would like a job as a science reporter, particularly in the space field.

Doug"

Doug,

Perhaps you could take over the Sky at Night when Sir Patrick retires biggrin.gif ?!?

--------------------
"There are 10 types of people in the world - those who understand binary code, and those who don't."

+Quote Post
brianc
post Sep 9 2005, 12:09 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 312

'Top Banana' Doug, a really great interview

+Quote Post
ilbasso
post Sep 9 2005, 03:08 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 103

Cracking interview, Doug! Brilliantly done and very much appreciated. I listened to it with rapt attention on the Metro this morning. You are a lucky man to spend such quality time with SS. He was CLEARLY impressed at the quality of your questions and the depth of the knowledge from those of us in the forum. I'm sure he was deeply gratified to know that there are people out there who eat up all the data his team can dish out! Thanks again for being such wonderful ambassador for us.
Jonathan

--------------------
Jonathan Ward
Manning the LCC at http://www.apollolaunchcontrol.com

+Quote Post
djellison
post Sep 9 2005, 03:12 PM
Post #24

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (edstrick @ Sep 9 2005, 11:23 AM)
I have most of the MER press briefings <and landing> on VHS and the most recent one on DVD-R.  I intend to transfer all to DVD and hope to make them available. 

Hellloooooooooo - would you like to step this way... wink.gif

Is there any way I could get a copy of that stuff? I'd really like the Spirit EDL sequence, and the first-uhf-pass-with-images, totally unedited smile.gif

Doug

+Quote Post
lyford
post Sep 9 2005, 05:18 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 124

Doug

Just wanted to drop out of my recent self imposed lurk mode (I have been working unreal hours lately and can barely read when I get home, let alone post) to thank you for an incredible interview. To echo what has been posted before, it's rare to hear a grown up Q&A that doesn't have to cover the same "Mars for Dummies" questions over and over again.

It was nice to be able to assign a voice to your posts as well - great work.

And the wind kicked in right as Steve was talking about Martian weather - how did you plan that ? smile.gif

Lyford

--------------------
Lyford Rome
"Zis is not nuts, zis is super-nuts!" Mathematician Richard Courant on viewing an Orion test

+Quote Post
DarthVader
post Sep 9 2005, 06:41 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 489

Wonderful interview, nice work Doug!

+Quote Post
Guest_AlexBlackwell_*
post Sep 9 2005, 07:51 PM
Post #27

Guests

QUOTE (DarthVader @ Sep 9 2005, 06:41 PM)
Wonderful interview, nice work Doug!

Hear, hear. Although I've mentioned it elsewhere, I thought I'd take the opportunity to post my thanks to Doug here in his own forum. Nice work, Doug.

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Sep 10 2005, 03:44 AM
Post #28

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 23

Can't wait to listen to this when I get home!

BTW, nice work on having such a fast server. Fastest download...ever.

--------------------
&@^^!% Jim! I'm a geologist, not a physicist!
The Gish Bar Times - A Blog all about Jupiter's Moon Io

+Quote Post
RJG
post Sep 10 2005, 10:33 AM
Post #29

Member No.: 492

Excellent! Forced me to break cover, stop lurking, and register on this forum so that I could thank you!

I copied the interview across to CD to listen in the car on the way to a meeting yesterday. So interesting that I listened to it all over again on the way back.

It broght it home to me how much we are normally starved of intelligent, detailed material on the normal media channels. Maybe your career as a space / science correspondent with the BBC will help to redress the balance wink.gif

Rob

+Quote Post
Phillip
post Sep 11 2005, 06:40 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 249

Just listened to the SS interview on a rainy Sunday afternoon ....great job Doug and thanks for making it available on the forum. Fascinating that Oppy is reaching the edge of its landing elliptical and heading off into land originally considered too treacherous. As to Spirit, Squyres said the current thinking on the downward descent towards homeplate, if I got this right, was first east, then south. Did you interpret that to mean they are contemplating heading down on the eastern side of the hill (i.e., to the east of Ultreya) (which looks steeper) or that they would first make a jog to the east, and then go down on the west of Ultreya?

But BBC if your are watching, hire this guy quick! It is a true skill to draw out so much rich information in so little time, and Doug has it.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:22 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.