Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
AMSAT GO-Mars/P5A, Amateur radio Mars orbiter
JTN
post Aug 12 2008, 06:38 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 563

This has been on my radar for a couple of years, and I've been meaning to ask about it. Gets to Mars by tricky Moon-flyby trajectory (which compensates for non-optimal piggyback launch). Payload includes radio stuff (duh) and camera(s), and various proposals for things like Cubesats and maybe a balloon(!) to ride along.

http://www.go-mars.org/ (German)
http://ticket-to-mars.org/ (million-dollar-homepage-like donation site)
http://www.amsat-dl.org/p5a/

Surprised I haven't seen much mention of it here; this post in 2006 is the only reference I can find.

These guys have successfully built and launched Earth-orbiting satellites, and received signals from interplanetary craft, so their proposal is unusually credible. However, I haven't found much detail on the above websites; in particular, I haven't worked out how they're doing MOI -- I'm not a rocket scientist but that feels orders of magnitude from the propulsion systems they've proven in Earth orbit.

In particular, I don't see status updates. There are pictures of hardware, and recent news items on the website, but nothing indicating that they're gearing up for launch soon (I've had 2009 pencilled in for a couple of years, although I don't recall my source for that; ticket-to-mars.org currently says "it should begin its nine-month journey during launch windows in 2009 or 2011"). A few dates on the website are now in the past, e.g. "late 2007" for launch of P3E, an Earth orbiter which is to test some of the technology.

Anyone know more about the progress of this interesting project?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
RJG
post Aug 12 2008, 08:03 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 492

There was a presentation on this Mars mission at the AMSAT-UK Colloquium a week or so ago. The presentation was broadcast live as a webcast and the archive recording is now available at www.batc.tv (search under Film Archive for AMSAT UK Lecture 10).

The trick appears to be to get a free ride into geostationary transfer orbit and then take it from there. All seems very do-able. 65kg science payload into Mars orbit by 2012!

The other AMSAT UK lectures hosted on this site are also interesting and show that there is much going on in the amateur satellite world.

Regards
Rob

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Aug 12 2008, 08:58 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (JTN @ Aug 12 2008, 11:38 AM) *
I'm not a rocket scientist but that feels orders of magnitude from the propulsion systems they've proven in Earth orbit.

It's only a few 100's of m/s delta V different from what their GTO satellite AO-40 was capable of. See http://www.amsat-dl.org/p5a/p5a-to-mars.pdf
But A0-40's propulsion system failed so there's some work to do there.

As indicated, it's getting the free launch that's probably the biggest issue.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Aug 13 2008, 01:48 AM
Post #4

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

I would suggest that they approach a commercial concern like DirecTV or Sirius and pitch the ride as a PR/community service effort (which it really would be.) Comsats are going up left & right with very little fanfare.

I can see the Sunday morning commercials now: "DirecTV: Bringing you your world...and now another!" tongue.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
dh2va
post Aug 13 2008, 05:13 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 4314

We are currently talking to possible sponsors (federal and commercial) as the main doorstopper right now is the money. Technology-wise, propulsion is under control, as the AO-40 motor was capable of delivering enough delta-v with a slight increase of fuel mass (problem with AO-40 is understood). Communications is well under control as our multiple receptions of Voyager 1 demonstrate. A phase-coherent transponder for precise navigation will fly on P3-E, planned for next year. As soon as the money is there we can start serious design and metal-bashing as many parts are replicas of the AO-40 spacecraft. Of course things like thermal design and attitude control will be different from AO-40, but nothing special.

Things will heat up considerably once the budget is secured.. stay tuned.

Achim Vollhardt, DH2VA
AMSAT-DL P5-A project leader

+Quote Post
nprev
post Aug 14 2008, 01:33 AM
Post #6

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Figured you were! smile.gif Welcome to UMSF, Achim, and please do keep us posted!

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
JTN
post Aug 18 2008, 06:09 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 563

Thanks for dropping by, Achim, and the best of luck!

QUOTE (mcaplinger @ Aug 12 2008, 09:58 PM) *
It's only a few 100's of m/s delta V different from what their GTO satellite AO-40 was capable of. See http://www.amsat-dl.org/p5a/p5a-to-mars.pdf

Mm, GTO is a long way there, isn't it? Thank goodness our planet doesn't rotate faster smile.gif Should have read that PDF.

+Quote Post
hendric
post Aug 19 2008, 05:13 PM
Post #8

Director of Galilean Photography

Member No.: 93

Achim,
Thanks for dropping by. I might be able to buy a few pixels for us bozos on UMSF, if Doug doesn't mind. What are your plans for data releases?

--------------------
Space Enthusiast Richard Hendricks
--
"The engineers, as usual, made a tremendous fuss. Again as usual, they did the job in half the time they had dismissed as being absolutely impossible." --Rescue Party, Arthur C Clarke
Mother Nature is the final inspector of all quality.

+Quote Post
imipak
post Aug 19 2008, 07:19 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 617

I tried to, but the SSL cert was expired.

--------------------
--
Viva software libre!

+Quote Post
Marz
post Jul 8 2009, 05:26 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 482

Has anyone heard an update for the P5A Mars Mission? 2009 and 2011 are listed as the launch years, but I seriously doubt it's launching this year since I have found no news about the mission status.

Is 2011 planned? The only information I can find is:
http://ticket-to-mars.org/en_EN/mission.html

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jul 8 2009, 06:56 AM
Post #11

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Well - I'm hoping they'll be at Amsat UK again in a couple of weeks so they can do an update. I'm going.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 10:37 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.