Reply to this topicStart new topic
ExoMars - Schiaparelli landing
Phil Stooke
post Aug 12 2016, 07:07 PM
Post #1

Solar System Cartographer

Group: Members
Member No.: 227

Starting a new topic here - hopefully that's OK! Clearly there will be a lot of action around this in the next weeks and months with descent images and HiRISE views of the hardware.

I thought I had posted this map earlier but apparently not. This shows the various landing ellipses in this area. The original plan was for an ellipse oriented NW-SE, but it changed with the different launch date and is now nearly E-W. Note that the ellipse shown in the recent ESA release is the envelope of all ellipses over a given launch period, but the actual landing ellipse for the given launch date is smaller. Opportunity's final landing ellipse is shown for comparison.

http://exploration.esa.int/mars/57445-exom...6-landing-site/

http://exploration.esa.int/mars/57446-exom...6-landing-site/

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
nogal
post Aug 19 2016, 06:23 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 4824

I had originally posted this information on another thread, but then Phil started this topic and I think it fits better here.

ESA has relased information [LINK] on Schiaparelli's intended landing site on Meridiani Planum, including the landing elipse which, at its eastern edge, just grazes the Endeavour crater. Perhaps Opportunity could spot Schiaparelli descending under its parachute on October 19?

The landing ellipse's size is given on the above mentioned article as 100x15 km, but this could be a simplification for in order to match the ellipse on this image, I had to make it 115.4x23.9 km. The ellipse is centered at 2.048S, 6.114W.

This is how it looks on Google Earth (Mars):
Attached Image

And here is the KMZ file: Attached File  Schiaparelli.kmz ( 19.26K ) Number of downloads: 2283

Fernando

+Quote Post
sittingduck
post Aug 19 2016, 08:44 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 6784

Will Opportunity be able to image the Schiaparelli EDL? Maybe the re-entry plasma?

+Quote Post
James Sorenson
post Aug 19 2016, 09:27 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 3988

Opportunity is heading down deeper into Endeavour, so I'd say that is becoming less likely because of lack of visibility of the surrounding plains and the part of sky where it is expected to be. I guess the only chance will be if the lander overshoots to the far end of its ellipse where Oppy could possibly capture the desent.

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Aug 20 2016, 02:40 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 5221

Even capturing one pixel would be a fantastic success of planning; does the MRO team have any imaging planned like the previous landers? (I'd like to update my avatar)...

+Quote Post
Deimos
post Aug 24 2016, 03:24 PM
Post #6

Martian Photographer

Member No.: 183

The nominal trajectory has the entry phase and parachute phase each potentially visible, but less than 15 deg above the level horizon. The crater will prove a challenge for even one pixel. It may be worth a bet on the EDM going well downrange--nothing ventured, nothing gained.

+Quote Post
Ron Hobbs
post Aug 26 2016, 04:17 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 745

The ESA site is featuring images of the landing site. It looks to me that if Schiaparelli lands really long, Oppy might have a chance.

Meridiani Planum with Landing Ellipse

I've got my fingers crossed.

Here is the main website: Spotlight on Schiaparelli Landing Site

+Quote Post
akuo
post Oct 13 2016, 05:16 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 63

I tried to look for information about coverage of the Schiapparelli landing events and communications. Only thing mentioned seems to be that MEX will record the lander's signal for later transmission. Anyone know when that transmission would come? Any chance of following Schiapparelli live, even detection of the carrier signal with radio telescopes like was done with Huygens?

I guess I've gotten too used to Nasa lander style blow-by-blow earth receive time coverage with first pictures arriving minutes after the landing.

I assume at least the orbiter will stay in constant DSN contact during the insertion.

--------------------
Antti Kuosmanen

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Oct 13 2016, 06:00 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 1004

I think you can find answers to most of your questions here:
http://blogs.esa.int/rocketscience/2016/03...e-theyre-going/

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Oct 13 2016, 06:05 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 1004

yesterday ESA published two short articles on Schiaparelli and the expected sequence of images

http://exploration.esa.int/mars/58425-prep...o-land-on-mars/
http://exploration.esa.int/mars/58435-what...relli-s-camera/

I am starting to see other forums getting inflamed by rants about the plans for imaging or lack of it. given the minimal exoected data output of the lander (150 Mbits, of which 100 Mbits will be engineering data) I am not surprised that no proper camera was carried.

+Quote Post
akuo
post Oct 13 2016, 07:04 PM
Post #11

Thanks Paolo, that's the info I need.

To summarise:
An Indian radio telescope in Pune might detect if Schiapparelli is transmitting at all, live.
MEX and MRO will record a subset of telemetry, which could be received at 16:30 and 16:45 UTC on the landing day.
TGO will record full telemetry and it should be available 10h later, at 1:00 UTC.

--------------------
Antti Kuosmanen

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Oct 13 2016, 07:29 PM
Post #12

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

http://www.midnightplanets.com/web/MERB/im...4P2671L6M1.html

This is a test image taken by Opportunity and downlinked only about 20 minutes before this post. It's a test for the attempt to view Schiaparelli. Good luck - uh - break a wheel! (no, don't).

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Deimos
post Oct 13 2016, 07:43 PM
Post #13

Martian Photographer

Member No.: 183

And context for that test image: http://www.leonarddavid.com/europe-readies...ober-touchdown/

+Quote Post
akuo
post Oct 13 2016, 07:56 PM
Post #14

With Oppy being so close, was there any consideration on having it listen to Schiapparelli on UHF during the EDL?

--------------------
Antti Kuosmanen

+Quote Post
climber
post Oct 14 2016, 07:03 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 682

Can somebody point out Victoria crater?

--------------------

+Quote Post

12 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 11:09 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.