11 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Oppy's Moving Again!
general
post Jun 30 2005, 08:18 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 417

Oppy has finished her investigations at Purgatory Dune, and is about to head... NORTH! (and then east or west smile.gif cool.gif

Latest update from Steve Squyres:
http://athena.cornell.edu/news/mubss/
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tman
post Jun 30 2005, 08:50 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 186

Wow, but what's now the result of the study on Purgatory dune? huh.gif I hope Steve or the official site comes up with more details later! Are they still in investigations?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Jun 30 2005, 12:27 PM
Post #3

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 253

Tman, that is something that I (and most of all) want to know too.

And when Squyres says that they want to go backwards to see which is the best path, by the east or by the west, it means that they shoud HAVE (?) the criteria to decide.
And based on what?
- Dune sizes?
- Slope?
- Termal inertia?
- Color?

Let's do some guessing in the meantime and wait for the next update...

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jun 30 2005, 12:37 PM
Post #4

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

OK, I'll do some guessing. My guess is that nothing useful will be learned about the hazard posed by Purgatory - nothing which can be used to avoid another trap. There may be several possibilities, including very fine grain size or a local steep slope - but in the absence of experiments leading to getting stuck or not stuck in lots of other places we will not know for sure what happened. Everywhere else was fine, though, so I expect most driving will continue to be fine, but with various protections built in it might go a bit slower.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
general
post Jun 30 2005, 01:58 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 417

I guess Dr Squyres and Co think it's better to be safe than sorry. No more risk taking! After all, they are dealing with a multi-million dollar baby.

If you look at surface of the terrain north of Purgatory Dune (i.e. where Oppy came from - it's as flat as a wet beach) compared to the area south of it (where Oppy was heading - it's more like a choppy sea), it's quite obvious they can't traverse it.
I wonder why it took the operators so long to realize that.
So my idea is that they will go east or west, skirting that 'choppy sea' area until they find an acceptable route to the south.

+Quote Post
maycm
post Jun 30 2005, 02:08 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 289

I’m sure that many things they will have learnt from Purgatory dune will be applied to future rover designs rather than necessarily allowing them to find a different way to tackle this hazard with Oppy.

+Quote Post
Marcel
post Jun 30 2005, 02:50 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 65

QUOTE (general @ Jun 30 2005, 01:58 PM)
I guess Dr Squyres and Co think it's better to be safe than sorry. No more risk taking! After all, they are dealing with a multi-million dollar baby.

If you look at surface of the terrain north of Purgatory Dune (i.e. where Oppy came from - it's as flat as a wet beach) compared to the area south of it (where Oppy was heading - it's more like a choppy sea), it's quite obvious they can't traverse it.
I wonder why it took the operators so long to realize that.
So my idea is that they will go east or west, skirting that 'choppy sea' area until they find an acceptable route to the south.

Traversability of dunes was fine for hundreds of meters, until oppy got stuck. The morphology of the dunes is absolutely no problem for the mobility system. It's the material that did not support oppy enough to stay on top of it. So, i do not wonder why it took the operators long to realize that. Something happened that was very hard to predict (if not impossible). I agree though on the statement that going back some distance to see whether another route (from the flat part) is better, is the safest next step.

However, i am afraid that there's no other route to Erebus (or Victoria) then through the dunes !

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jun 30 2005, 03:16 PM
Post #8

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (general @ Jun 30 2005, 01:58 PM)
it's quite obvious they can't traverse it.

Well - it's obvious NOW - but wasnt so obvious before smile.gif

Doug

+Quote Post
Pando
post Jul 1 2005, 07:07 AM
Post #9

The Insider

Member No.: 73

We shall find out. We'll be on the road again, in a day or two...

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Jul 1 2005, 02:48 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 15

Has anyone heard anything in regards the mini-TES work they did at Purgatory? If anything showed up as characteristic of this particular soft powder, that would help a lot in being able to plan a safe route, regardless of the drift morphology. Just do mini-TES sweeps of various potential routes, and avoid those that traverse through areas with the same characteristics...

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
Pando
post Jul 2 2005, 01:41 AM
Post #11

The Insider

Member No.: 73

The miniTES is still flaky, from time to time. But... looks like we're ready to roll now, IDD is stowed so let's get moving! smile.gif

http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...WEP1211R0M1.JPG

+Quote Post
dot.dk
post Jul 2 2005, 12:29 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 107

And we are moving! biggrin.gif

--------------------
"I want to make as many people as possible feel like they are part of this adventure. We are going to give everybody a sense of what exploring the surface of another world is really like"
- Steven Squyres

+Quote Post
abalone
post Jul 2 2005, 01:19 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 409

QUOTE (dot.dk @ Jul 2 2005, 11:29 PM)
And we are moving!  biggrin.gif

This shows a nice contrast between new and old wheeltracks. Changes are obvious even though tracks were in opposite direction.

+Quote Post
Guest_Sunspot_*
post Jul 2 2005, 01:28 PM
Post #14

Guests

So good to see Opportunity driving again. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

How far North do you think they wil go?

+Quote Post
jvandriel
post Jul 4 2005, 09:26 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 353

A panoramic view of the direction in which Opportunity is moving.
Away from Purgatory Dune.
The old wheeltracks.

jvandriel
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post

11 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th May 2024 - 09:43 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.