12 Pages V  « < 9 10 11 12 >  
Closed TopicStart new topic
A name for MSL, MSL
BrianL
post Mar 24 2009, 12:53 PM
Post #151

Group: Members
Member No.: 721

I held my nose and voted for Journey. I tried dragging all the rest into the #9 box but it wouldn't let me. Well, as someone else has already noted, I seem to recall hearing Spirit and Opportunity for the first time, and gagging at that time, too. So, I guess it's just one of those things that will grow on you. As long as it isn't Pursuit. Or Wonder. Or Perception. Or...

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_Oersted_*
post Mar 24 2009, 01:01 PM
Post #152

Guests

Even "Colbert" would have been better than that bunch...

+Quote Post
ynyralmaen
post Mar 24 2009, 01:03 PM
Post #153

Member No.: 438

The Japanese word for Sunrise is in use for another mission at the moment; much more relevant for that mission than MSL.

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Mar 24 2009, 01:43 PM
Post #154

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (BrianL @ Mar 24 2009, 04:53 AM) *
I held my nose and voted for Journey.

Perhaps this shows my age, but I can't hear this one without hearing Steve Perry singing in my head rolleyes.gif
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Journey_(band) for the youngsters. "Don't stop//believin'"

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
lyford
post Mar 24 2009, 03:04 PM
Post #155

Member No.: 124

QUOTE (Oersted @ Mar 24 2009, 05:01 AM) *
Even "Colbert" would have been better than that bunch...

That name might already be taken. blink.gif

--------------------
Lyford Rome
"Zis is not nuts, zis is super-nuts!" Mathematician Richard Courant on viewing an Orion test

+Quote Post
nprev
post Mar 24 2009, 05:53 PM
Post #156

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Stepping back a bit, it almost seems as if US spacecraft naming follows four different traditions: abstract exploratory heraldry (Mariner, Voyager, Viking, Pioneer, New Horizons, Messenger, Odyssey, Pathfinder, Ranger), personal tribute (Magellan, Galileo, Cassini, Sojourner), even more abstract emotive reference (Spirit, Opportunity), and sheer pragmatism (LRO, Lunar Orbiter, MRO, MGS).

Of the four, I personally prefer the first & last, and actually it seems like the first is dominant.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Poolio
post Mar 24 2009, 06:11 PM
Post #157

Member No.: 4469

Might I propose a fifth category as well, one that will unify the outliers with a common theme: imagery evocative of mission objectives (Stardust, Deep Impact, Genesis, Phoenix, Dawn).

+Quote Post
BrianL
post Mar 24 2009, 09:54 PM
Post #158

Member No.: 721

QUOTE (mcaplinger @ Mar 24 2009, 07:43 AM) *
Perhaps this shows my age, but I can't hear this one without hearing Steve Perry singing in my head rolleyes.gif

You know, I was tempted to suggest that in my message as the rover's theme song but then I realized how unnecessarily cruel that would be. I mean, most people have long forgotten it, and now this just puts it back in their heads, and nobody deserves to have that song running through their head, over and over, Don't stop... stop... stop... STOP! STOP! Arggghhhh! Can't someone just wipe the 80's from my mind?

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Mar 24 2009, 10:28 PM
Post #159

Administrator

Member No.: 454

Journey has a new lease on life -- it's no longer Steve Perry, it's now Arnel Pineda.

Please don't ask me why I know this.

--Emily

Just a small-town girl....livin' in a lonely wo-o-orld....
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
hmaffin
post Mar 25 2009, 10:56 AM
Post #160

Member No.: 2

I voted too - I went for Sunrise first (because it suggests birth or awakening) - and there's already a Dawn out there, so it fits.

If I had to put forward my own they would be :
  • Eden (Garden, creation, life etc etc)
  • Beatrix (name means "Voyager through Life") - or Beatrice, Beatriz - any variation
  • Vivian - means "full of life" - which they're hoping for, I guess!

Helen

+Quote Post
Geert
post Mar 25 2009, 11:26 AM
Post #161

Member No.: 4185

QUOTE (dougs_better_half @ Mar 25 2009, 05:56 PM) *
Beatrix (name means "Voyager through Life") - or Beatrice, Beatriz - any variation

Beatrix is the name of our Dutch queen, and Amelia is the name of one of her granddaughters, so I guess a lot of Dutch would feel very proud with these names for MSL smile.gif

Personally, if MSL had to be named after some person, I would vote for Darwin, as has been mentioned here already, but that name would probably be controversial and that alone once again clearly shows the problem with naming spacecraft after historical persons or mythical entities...

+Quote Post
mps
post Mar 25 2009, 12:42 PM
Post #162

Member No.: 3964

QUOTE (Poolio @ Mar 24 2009, 08:11 PM) *
imagery evocative of mission objectives (Stardust, Deep Impact, Genesis, Phoenix, Dawn).

Those are PI-given names, I think they can call their spacecraft almost whatever they want.

There is already a space project called Darwin. On the other hand, that didn't stop Europeans to name ATV-2 Johannes Kelper and their navigation satellite system Galileo

+Quote Post
Patteroast
post Mar 25 2009, 01:00 PM
Post #163

Member No.: 397

It took me a while to narrow down which I disliked the least, but I think I eventually went for Pursuit, with runners-up being Vision and Journey.

Most disliked: Perception.

I'm sure, like some others have mentioned, that we'll probably get used to whatever they pick, eventually. rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
nprev
post Mar 25 2009, 03:07 PM
Post #164

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

Well, after reviewing the naming traditions (agree there are at least five; good catch, Poolio!), I voted for Amelia. Not super-enthused about it but it's better than the rest, IMHO. The other nouns/gerunds/adjectives just lack something...maybe not assertive enough for the boldness of the venture.

However, like the MERs, it's always gonna really be MSL to me! smile.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
gpurcell
post Mar 25 2009, 10:22 PM
Post #165

Member No.: 127

I think it should be called Rover.

Then it would be the Rover rover.

+Quote Post

12 Pages V  « < 9 10 11 12 >
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:43 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.