6 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Perseverance Launch & Cruise
Explorer1
post Feb 15 2021, 08:51 PM
Post #61

Group: Members
Member No.: 5221

I think it is just a generic point near the centre of the ellipse. The real landing will deviate somewhat in both entry point and trajectory through the atmosphere, as well as the direction onboard navigation takes it when firing the thrusters. Definitely smart enough not to land on a giant slope!

P.S. my own question for anyone in the know: any plans on MRO attempting imaging like MSL, or does the bent-pipe relay attitude preclude it this time around?
I could really use a new avatar....
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Art Martin
post Feb 15 2021, 09:21 PM
Post #62

Member No.: 2455

QUOTE (Explorer1 @ Feb 15 2021, 01:51 PM) *
I think it is just a generic point near the centre of the ellipse. The real landing will deviate somewhat in both entry point and trajectory through the atmosphere, as well as the direction onboard navigation takes it when firing the thrusters. Definitely smart enough not to land on a giant slope!

P.S. my own question for anyone in the know: any plans on MRO attempting imaging like MSL, or does the bent-pipe relay attitude preclude it this time around?
I could really use a new avatar....

PlanetFest 21 happened this weekend (run by the Planetary Society) and there was an amazing talk by Rob Manning of the details of the landing. The ellipse (which this time is really a circle) they could come down in is about the size of Manhattan but the expectations are that the lander would emerge in powered descent somewhere near the center of it which is somewhat near the delta but below it in the crater. The onboard navigation system is designed to locate the closest safe spot to where it figures out it is and aim for that. He said that they determined there were safe spots to be found at all parts of the ellipse within close proximity. Eventually that talk will be posted to the Planetary Society's Youtube page so watch for it. The engineering he described is amazing.

He also said that MRO will be tasked with not only going after a shot of the lander on the parachute but also during the actual powered landing as well if they can get lucky.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Feb 15 2021, 11:46 PM
Post #63

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (Explorer1 @ Feb 15 2021, 12:51 PM) *
any plans on MRO attempting imaging like MSL

At the L-30 briefing they said yes - infact, they're going to try and do it a little later during EDL - so you'll have the powered descent vehicle flying below the parachute and backshell.

Fingers crossed.

+Quote Post
Greenish
post Feb 16 2021, 03:13 AM
Post #64

Member No.: 6237

QUOTE (Art Martin @ Feb 15 2021, 04:21 PM) *
... about the size of Manhattan ...

I was curious:
Attached Image

+Quote Post
MahFL
post Feb 17 2021, 12:41 AM
Post #65

Forum Contributor

Member No.: 11

Can someone give any more detailed insight on how exactly does the TRN work ? Are they aiming for a safe spot at the center of the landing ellipse, or any safe spot ?

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Feb 17 2021, 02:00 AM
Post #66

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (MahFL @ Feb 16 2021, 04:41 PM) *
...how exactly does the TRN work ? Are they aiming for a safe spot at the center of the landing ellipse, or any safe spot ?

It has a catalog of multiple safe spots within the ellipse and guides toward the closest one based on imaging. See https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/a-neil-armstr...mars-2020-rover and https://trs.jpl.nasa.gov/handle/2014/46186

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
MahFL
post Feb 17 2021, 03:35 AM
Post #67

Forum Contributor

Thank you for the links, now I have a good understanding.

Less than 2M miles to go now....

+Quote Post
MahFL
post Feb 18 2021, 12:41 AM
Post #68

Forum Contributor

Less than 1M miles to go now.

+Quote Post
pioneer
post Feb 18 2021, 12:49 AM
Post #69

Member No.: 80

I know MRO will be able to act as a relay for Perseverance during landing. Will Mars Odyssey or MAVEN be available as well?

+Quote Post
MahFL
post Feb 18 2021, 01:00 AM
Post #70

Forum Contributor

QUOTE (pioneer @ Feb 18 2021, 01:49 AM) *
I know MRO will be able to act as a relay for Perseverance during landing. Will Mars Odyssey or MAVEN be available as well?

I think TGO is recording during the landing, later other orbiters are making passes, there are 5 orbiters that can relay rover data.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Feb 18 2021, 02:50 AM
Post #71

Founder

MRO will be doing bent-pipe realtime relay ( which is a new feature on MRO thanks to a software update )
MAVEN will be doing canister mode recording for later return to Earth.

See pages 23 and 43 of the Landing Press Kit
https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/press_kits/ma...g_press_kit.pdf

+Quote Post
fredk
post Feb 18 2021, 03:01 AM
Post #72

Member No.: 152

Does anyone know of a Jezero map using the same coordinates as this landing zone map that was presented today:
Attached Image

Knowing the origin of those coords we could probably translate into lat,long...

+Quote Post
djellison
post Feb 18 2021, 03:49 AM
Post #73

Founder

That's not a map of the surface - that's a map of a plan through deep space. The spacecraft actively flies its way through entry to target the center of the ellipse. You can't translate that entry mapping image onto a surface map.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Feb 18 2021, 04:34 AM
Post #74

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Right - it's showing where the entry target point is on a plane perpendicular to the approach vector.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
fredk
post Feb 18 2021, 05:21 AM
Post #75

Member No.: 152

I see; thanks.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st May 2024 - 06:53 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.