IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Moderated Section

There are many members of this forum who are published authors or have developed specific products that may hold a particular interest for members.
UMSF and The Planetary Society (TPS) do not endorse, warrant, or otherwise guarantee the books and products in this section, nor will UMSF and TPS be held responsible for or participate in disputes between buyers and sellers. UMSF and TPS receive no financial consideration for these books or products save those which may be specifically offered for sale by those organizations.
• Entries in this section will require an administrator or moderator approval.
• Please feel free to contact any of the team if you would like to have something added.
• Please note that attempts to post new books or products without seeking permission will result in posts being deleted and possible suspension.
• Once a topic has started, you are free to discuss as normal.

11 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
coming soon..., books to be published soon
monitorlizard
post Oct 10 2007, 10:43 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 381

I thought there might be some merit in UMSF members alerting each other to forthcoming books that seem especially interesting. This book complements Phil Stooke's new book quite well, and looks like a lot of fun:

Robert Godwin -- The Lunar Exploration Scrapbook (Apogee Books) coming Dec. 1, 2007 (224 pages) $18.48 at Amazon.com (US site)

Description: From single-seat landers to rocket backpacks and lunar bulldozers, this study takes readers into the imagination of the world's top aerospace engineers by presenting NASA's lunar spacecraft research. A unique blend of history and imagination, this resource covers not only the actual exploration of the moon conducted during the Apollo program of the 1960s and 1970s, but also includes a presentation of dozens of spacecraft that were never built. Vivid, colorful renderings of the conceptual crafts--many of which are not available anywhere else--are also included, providing a visual progression of NASA's technological advancements.

(At least I hope this isn't redundant of Phil Stooke's forthcoming reference standard.)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Oct 10 2007, 10:46 AM
Post #2

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Aaargh! That's it, I'm withdrawing mine and turning to writing cookbooks!

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Oct 10 2007, 10:57 AM
Post #3

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Group: Admin
Member No.: 33

QUOTE (monitorlizard @ Oct 10 2007, 10:43 AM) *
I thought there might be some merit in UMSF members alerting each other to forthcoming books that seem especially interesting. This book complements Phil Stooke's new book quite well, and looks like a lot of fun:

Robert Godwin -- The Lunar Exploration Scrapbook (Apogee Books) coming Dec. 1, 2007 (224 pages) $18.48 at Amazon.com (US site)

Description: From single-seat landers to rocket backpacks and lunar bulldozers, this study takes readers into the imagination of the world's top aerospace engineers by presenting NASA's lunar spacecraft research. A unique blend of history and imagination, this resource covers not only the actual exploration of the moon conducted during the Apollo program of the 1960s and 1970s, but also includes a presentation of dozens of spacecraft that were never built. Vivid, colorful renderings of the conceptual crafts--many of which are not available anywhere else--are also included, providing a visual progression of NASA's technological advancements.

(At least I hope this isn't redundant of Phil Stooke's forthcoming reference standard.)

This book sounds interesting, but it looks limited to American spacecraft, and seems to be more about the actual spacecraft than the moon itself. Very interesting (and will probably reside on my shelf soon), but very different.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Nov 29 2007, 06:59 PM
Post #4

Guests

Professor Colin Pillinger compiled an unusual spaceflight/astronomy book entitled:
"Space is a Funny Place - The funnier side of Space seen through the eyes of cartoonists"

The book has photos of spacecraft and is basically a collection of space-related cartoons into a coherent order.
It's worth noting that Colin Pillinger has not left cartoons on his ill-fated "Beagle 2" out of the book.
This is a 2000 copies limited edition Hardcover book for British £ 17.50, available via The Open University

+Quote Post
hendric
post Nov 30 2007, 07:09 PM
Post #5

Director of Galilean Photography

Member No.: 93

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Oct 10 2007, 04:46 AM) *
Aaargh! That's it, I'm withdrawing mine and turning to writing cookbooks!

Phil

"The Lunar Cookbook: How to go from regolith to ravioli in 180 days! Includes new Solar Flare Surprise - good for eating and as a radiation shingle!"

(Imagine cover picture of a Lunar astronaut with a frying pan in one hand and a rock in the other.)

--------------------
Space Enthusiast Richard Hendricks
--
"The engineers, as usual, made a tremendous fuss. Again as usual, they did the job in half the time they had dismissed as being absolutely impossible." --Rescue Party, Arthur C Clarke
Mother Nature is the final inspector of all quality.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Dec 1 2007, 07:24 AM
Post #6

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

This is disturbing...now I'm hungry... blink.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Jan 6 2008, 05:07 PM
Post #7

Guests

Not a book, but the upcoming monthly issue of Spaceflight magazine for the month of March 2008, will have an article by 2 UMSF.com forum-members (Ken Kremer on DAWN & Philip Corneille on COROT). Keep an eye on: http://www.bis-spaceflight.com/sitesia.asp...id/1649/l/nl-be

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Jan 15 2008, 12:44 PM
Post #8

Guests

Robots in Space: Technology, Evolution and Interplanetary Travel
http://www.press.jhu.edu/books/title_pages/9417.html

+Quote Post
peter59
post Jan 15 2008, 05:21 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 299

April 10, 2008
Titan Unveiled: Saturn's Mysterious Moon Explored
by Ralph Lorenz, Jacqueline Mitton
Publisher: Princeton University Press

--------------------
Free software for planetary science (including Cassini Image Viewer).
http://members.tripod.com/petermasek/marinerall.html

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Jan 28 2008, 08:02 AM
Post #10

Guests

Just received an 'Internet Rumour' : Robotic Exploration of the Solar System- Part 2 could be released earlier than planned, probably July 2008, with volume 3 already planned for next year.
cool.gif

+Quote Post
LivingNDixie
post Jan 30 2008, 04:55 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 2698

QUOTE (PhilCo126 @ Jan 28 2008, 02:02 AM) *
Just received an 'Internet Rumour' : Robotic Exploration of the Solar System- Part 2 could be released earlier than planned, probably July 2008, with volume 3 already planned for next year.
cool.gif

Have you read part one, I have seen it on Amazon a few times, thought about getting it...

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Feb 16 2008, 07:38 PM
Post #12

Guests

A book I would like to see "coming soon..." would be an updated " The Planetary Scientist's Companion " by Katharina Lodders and Bruce Fegley. The most recent copie I could find dates from 1998, so the 13-pages Asteroids listing table is incomplete...

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Feb 22 2008, 06:03 PM
Post #13

Guests

Well Paolo, what about a preview on "" Robotic Exploration of the Solar System - part 2 "":
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dave.harland/...ooks/index.html

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Feb 23 2008, 08:57 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 1004

Phil,
you asked it. Part 2 will have three chapters, and this is more or less the TOC. all titles are to be confirmed

Chapter 4 (the chapter numbers are carried over from Part 1) "The decade of Halley"
- The Crisis: about the planetary exploration crisis in the US in the 80s
- The Face of Venus: about VOIR and Venera 15 and 16
- The Mission of a Lifetime: Halley mission planning and description of Giotto, Suisei, Vega etc.
- To Venus for the Last Time: Vega at Venus
- Two Lives, one Spacecraft: ISEE 3/ICE
- "But Now Giotto has the Shout": Halley exploration
- Extrended Missions: the successive missions of Suisei, Sagigake and Giotto to G-S
- Low Cost Missions: Take One: Planetary Observer and Mariner Mk II
- Comet Frenzy: Comet exploration projects: CAESAR, SOCCER, CRAF, the Rosetta sample return etc.
- The Rise of Vermin: Asteroid exploration projects: Vesta, Piazzi, AGORA, Asterex, NEAR etc.
- An Arrow to the Sun: Solar probes
- Into the Infinite: Interstellar probe precursor studies
- Europe tries harder: Kepler, Mercury orbiters etc.
Chapter 4 is complete and we are correcting it

Chapter 5 "The Era of Flagships"
- The Final Soviet Debacle: Fobos
- Mapping Hell: Magellan
- The Reluctant Flagship: Galileo
- Asteroids into Minor Planets: Galileo to Venus, Gaspra, Ida etc.
- A New Galilean Satellite: Galileo primary mission
- Return to Europa and Io: Galileo Europa and millennium missions, end of mission
- Beyond the Pillars of Hercules: Ulysses
- The Darkest Hour: Mars Observer
- Overdue and Overexpensive: the Mars Rover and Sample Return mission of the 80s
Chapter 5 is almost complete and I am making the first correction pass

Chapter 6 "Faster, Cheaper, Better"
- Sails Return: the Martian solar sail regatta etc.
- A New Hope: the Discovery program, Clementine 1 and 2
- In Love with Eros: NEAR
- Completing the Census: Pluto Fast Flyby, Pluto Kuiper Express etc
- NASA Licks its Wounds...: Mars Global Surveyor
- Sinking the Heritage: Mars 96 and Russian projects
- Wheels on Mars: Mars Pathfinder
Chapter 6 is 70 per cent complete as of today

+Quote Post
remcook
post Feb 23 2008, 02:00 PM
Post #15

Rover Driver

Member No.: 47

Besides Ralph's book, there will also be:

http://titanaftercassini.com/index.asp

and an update of: http://www.worldscibooks.com/physics/4142.html

There's quite a bit of choice!

There's also going to be a Saturn book (I'm sure that's not the only one either!):
http://www.saturnaftercassini.org/

A shame these conferences are so horrendously expensive...

+Quote Post

11 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 10:50 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.