6 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Dec 4th News Conference
sci44
post Dec 4 2008, 08:50 PM
Post #46

Group: Members
Member No.: 4490

But we may need to delay Maven to pay for MSL. There's a hole in my bucket, dear Liza.. :-)

(Edit: There's a hole in my Budget, dear Liza..)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Dec 4 2008, 09:01 PM
Post #47

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (sci44 @ Dec 4 2008, 12:30 PM) *
ESA did ask NASA for help trying to talk to Beagle with MGS, so I would guess the ESA would gladly reciprocate.

There's a big difference between a one-off, short term activity and ongoing operations for years. I'm not sure what kind of capability MEx would even have for that given its elliptical orbit.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Dec 4 2008, 09:10 PM
Post #48

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (sci44 @ Dec 4 2008, 08:50 PM) *
But we may need to delay Maven to pay for MSL.

THat wasn't mentioned - infact, Maven was still explicitly stated with its orig. launch date. Of course, that may change - but then, for no relay - you're asking for the failure of Mars Odyssey, Mars Express, MRO AND the failure of Maven to launch on time. That's a LOT of 'ifs'.

Doug

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Dec 4 2008, 09:17 PM
Post #49

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Dec 4 2008, 12:41 PM) *
Yeah, I've little doubt that, barring some really really bone-headed error, MRO will be around when MSL lands.

It should be noted that MRO had a failure in its telecom system in 2006 which rendered its X-band downlink single-string, so it is one amplifier away from losing the high-gain X-band downlink, and the Ka-band downlink is also suspect though it might be a usable backup. See "In-Flight Anomalies and Lessons Learned from the. Mars. Reconnaissance Orbiter Mission", Todd. J. Bayer, 2008 IEEE Aerospace Conference.

Of course, there's no explicit lifetime for electronics, so MRO could keep going for many years anyway.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Dec 4 2008, 09:36 PM
Post #50

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

I just got an official reply to my question from Dwayne Brown, the PAO for SMD.
The orbiting assets that are expected to be available to support MSL operations when it arrives at Mars (on the revised schedule) include MRO, Mars Express, and Mars Odyssey. Although two years later, it is still expected that these orbiters will be in place and available for communications relay support for MSL.

Having multiple relay-capable orbiters in place allows the continuation of MSL support if one (or even two) of them should become inoperable. In the very unlikely event that all three orbiters should become unable to provide comm relay support, the MSL rover still has the ability to utilize direct-to-Earth (DTE) communications. Albeit slower, the MSL mission could be completed utilizing the DTE link only.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
OWW
post Dec 4 2008, 09:53 PM
Post #51

Member No.: 99

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Dec 4 2008, 10:36 PM) *
The MSL mission could be completed utilizing the DTE link only.

To me, this sounds like: "The Galileo mission could be completed utilizing the LGA link only." rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
mars loon
post Dec 4 2008, 10:22 PM
Post #52

Member No.: 212

Overall I was encouraged by the decisions and progress announced at the press conference.

The mantra is "Failure is not an option" for this Flagship mission. The MSL team will do what it takes to be successful to the best of their ability. we cant ask for more.

These are difficult projects by design, so we attain valuable new science and technology. As they mentioned: The easy things have been done and we wont learn much by repeating that.

I was lucky to ask questions at the end. And i'm very encouraged that Ed Weiler said NASA will cooperate with ESA for future Mars missions. In response he said very likely this could include EXO MARS in a 2016 launch opportunity. The odds of a 2016 launch of something to mars have significantly increased compared to a few weeks ago

ken

+Quote Post
sci44
post Dec 4 2008, 10:25 PM
Post #53

Member No.: 4490

So it sounds like they can use MEX too. I did have the idea I read (at the time) that Beagle was going to use MGS/MO for long term comms too..

QUOTE (OWW @ Dec 4 2008, 09:53 PM) *
To me, this sounds like: "The Galileo mission could be completed utilizing the LGA link only." rolleyes.gif

It would be rather better than that - it would be a high gain antennea, all be it direct DSN comms. The low gain on Galileo was 160 bits/sec (up from 16bits thanks to DSN), vs 134 Kbits/sec for high gain. It will be less, but not 1000 times less!

However there is a good point in there - doesn't MSL plan to generate much more data than MER? In that case having MRO there will make a big difference - the others have much more modest computing/transmission capacities..

+Quote Post
PaulM
post Dec 4 2008, 10:55 PM
Post #54

Member No.: 3233

Does the two Year delay change the time of Year at which MSL would land at Southern Hemisphere landing sites?

I ask the question because I understand that if MSL had landed in 2010 at the Southern Hemisphere Eberswalde and Holden crater sites then the landing would have been in the depths of Winter and MSL might have been virtually immovable for the 6 months following the landing.

Does landing in 2012 move the time of landing in Southern sites to a more favourable season of the Year?

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Dec 4 2008, 10:57 PM
Post #55

QUOTE (sci44 @ Dec 4 2008, 02:25 PM) *
[DTE data rate] will be less, but not 1000 times less!

True. Assuming it scales like MER does, DTE will only (!) be about 10-15x slower than relay (as far as I can tell, MER DTE rates are around 20Kbps maximum, while the Odyssey UHF is being run at 256K.)

--------------------

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Dec 4 2008, 11:08 PM
Post #56

Member No.: 197

QUOTE (mcaplinger @ Dec 4 2008, 02:57 PM) *
True. Assuming it scales like MER does, DTE will only (!) be about 10-15x slower than relay (as far as I can tell, MER DTE rates are around 20Kbps maximum, while the Odyssey UHF is being run at 256K.)

Any idea how long a typical DTE window or session is?

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Dec 4 2008, 11:18 PM
Post #57

Founder

MER passes were typically 30 - 90 minutes, and MER peaked at 16.6 kbps via its HGA, so 59 Mbits/hour at that rate.

Doug

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Dec 4 2008, 11:29 PM
Post #58

Member No.: 197

True, but you had an orbiting satellite which has a relative velocity of it's own involved. I would intuitively expect that the DTE sessions would be longer.

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Dec 4 2008, 11:40 PM
Post #59

QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Dec 4 2008, 03:29 PM) *
I would intuitively expect that the DTE sessions would be longer.

Certainly. A typical UHF pass is only 5-10 minutes long (satellite rise to set), whereas a DTE pass in theory could be for as long as the Earth was in view, less DSN station handoff. MER DTE passes are as short as they are for power and thermal reasons. DTE is much less efficient than relay on an energy/bit basis, and that's probably the big disadvantage of DTE.

--------------------

+Quote Post
djellison
post Dec 4 2008, 11:40 PM
Post #60

Founder

That is DTE session.

UHF sessions with orbiters are 10-15 minutes, 128 or 256kbps, and anything from 1 to about 150 Mbits

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 03:00 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.