Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_AlexBlackwell_*
post Feb 14 2007, 10:53 PM
Post #17

Guests

QUOTE (djellison @ Feb 14 2007, 12:50 PM) *
I know - that's what the caption says. smile.gif

I lost track of the scale because I forgot I was looking at a HiRISE image instead of a MOC NA image. rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_AlexBlackwell_*
post Feb 14 2007, 10:57 PM
Post #18

Guests

Emily has a new blog entry.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Feb 14 2007, 11:00 PM
Post #19

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

...and it contains the links to the pieces of the one HiRISE image that crosses the ellipse. Go have a look and see if you can find anything interesting!

Emily

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Feb 15 2007, 03:13 AM
Post #20

Group: Members
Member No.: 15

Outhouse Rock was indeed the smaller rock (roughly the size of an outhouse) that had split off from House Rock. Interestingly, while Charlie Duke christened the large rock House Rock ("Well, that's your House Rock, right there"), he made it sound like they had talked about finding "rocks the suize of houses" pre-flight, but according to all of the interviews I;ve read, they hadn't -- Duke just came up with the name on the fly.

That said, I bet there are tons and tons of house-sized rocks on Mars... smile.gif

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
Guest_Zvezdichko_*
post Feb 15 2007, 08:10 AM
Post #21

Guests

Thank you, Emily! The chunks will help us a lot.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Feb 15 2007, 09:04 AM
Post #22

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Does anyone happen to know the IR characteristics of Beagle 2's chute, solar panels, etc.? I've got this imagery software called ENVI on a temp license for a class, and would like to try looking over these chunks with it.

Thanks! smile.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Feb 15 2007, 10:11 AM
Post #23

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

When I get home tonight I'll check if any specific materials are used in the 'chute or airbags - but I would expect them to be fairly identical to MER. The airbags were made by the same people for instance. The book I referenced in the simulation image is essentially THE opus on Beagle 2. If it's not in there, it's probably not in the public domain at all.

Doug
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
ustrax
post Feb 15 2007, 10:38 AM
Post #24

Special Cookie

Member No.: 228

I have a candidate for the heatshield... rolleyes.gif

A candidate...

From the image I post (not the best quality I know...) it might not look so different from any other rock but if you check Emily's full image (bottom row, center), you'll see that this specific spot (located approximately at 12h inside the big crater on the left center of the image) looks more "shiny" than the surrounding features.
The problem is that I don't find anything resembling other components...
I'll keep looking...

--------------------
"Ride, boldly ride," The shade replied, "If you seek for Eldorado!"
Edgar Alan Poe

+Quote Post
djellison
post Feb 15 2007, 10:45 AM
Post #25

Founder

Starting a thread for possible B2 stuff within HiRISE images...I think it needs its own thread.

People may find these usefull..

http://video.beagle2.com/Descent/play_descent_a_640x368.htm
http://video.beagle2.com/Landing/play_landing_b_640x368.html
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
ustrax
post Feb 15 2007, 10:47 AM
Post #26

Special Cookie

Doug

From your 3D rendering I would change my candidate from possible heatshield to possible Beagle 2... ph34r.gif

--------------------
Edgar Alan Poe

+Quote Post
djellison
post Feb 15 2007, 10:54 AM
Post #27

Founder

Fair play to you - it's an interesting target.

The thing I think we need to be careful of is that these images are re-projected and so any single cosmic-ray event or anything else of that nature (as shown here - http://hiroc.lpl.arizona.edu/images/2007/d..._1920_cut_b.jpg ) might - even if only a single pixel in the downlinked image - show itself as more than a pixel in a reprojected image.

That said - I've done a comparison between that target and the the heatshield in my sim - and it's not a million miles apart. I do my sim's at 33cm/pixel now - it just seems more realistic in terms of resolving power - so I've upscaled my 33cm/pixel render to 25cm/pixel and put it side by side.

I personally don't expect to see a deployed B2 on the surface. If it were there, I would expect to see a very obvious chute nearby, as well as airbags.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
ustrax
post Feb 15 2007, 11:07 AM
Post #28

Special Cookie

QUOTE (djellison @ Feb 15 2007, 10:54 AM) *
I personally don't expect to see a deployed B2 on the surface. If it were there, I would expect to see a very obvious chute nearby, as well as airbags.

My point too Doug...

And thanks for the images, that's precisely the place I was talking about! smile.gif

While you were doing you're comparison I was entertained with something similar... wink.gif
(I've rotated your rendition 90º to the left)

So...If it not deployed how would it look like?...

--------------------
Edgar Alan Poe

+Quote Post
djellison
post Feb 15 2007, 11:15 AM
Post #29

Founder

Depends how much of the EDL sequence worked.

Burnt up during entry : Nothing on ground
Survived re-entry but dead on arrival : that estimated crater size
Main Chute deployed but no airbag inflation - Large chute, probably a small 'splat' mark nearby.
Chute deployed - airbags inflated but B2 died on impact - Large Chute, one large composite airbag mess of all 3 bags.

Everything worked but B2 didn't open and deploy - Large chute, three airbag lobes, and an unopened lander would look fairly similar to the heatshield alone I would guess. HOWEVER - that would suggest some sort of failure after a great landing but before deployment and I find that a hard scenario to believe.

I think you're probably reading too much into a probably imaging artifact - BUT - it's certainly on the list of 'hmm - interesting'

Also - be carefull of rotating things. I set the lighting in that simulation to match the average lighting for HiRISE looking at near equatorial sites. I've not adjusted it to exactly match the parameters of the image we're looking at - but it's there or there abouts. Rotating things puts the shadow in a different place etc etc.

Doug

+Quote Post
ustrax
post Feb 15 2007, 11:31 AM
Post #30

Special Cookie

QUOTE (djellison @ Feb 15 2007, 11:15 AM) *
I think you're probably reading too much into a probably imaging artifact - BUT - it's certainly on the list of 'hmm - interesting'

Yes, probably...as usual... rolleyes.gif
I'll just let the masters work... smile.gif

--------------------
Edgar Alan Poe

+Quote Post

10 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:38 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.