14 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 12 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Forum Logos
Astro0
post Aug 7 2012, 01:33 PM
Post #136

Group: Admin
Member No.: 615

Not yet. I still have every one one of them on the harddrive and backup drive though.
Been a bit busy recently because of some Mars thingy. wink.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Sep 13 2012, 04:31 AM
Post #137

Administrator

Member No.: 454

Astro0, I just noticed the ghost of Spirit in the current banner and had a sad. She's still missed!

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
Astro0
post Sep 13 2012, 04:45 AM
Post #138

Ah, but did you also spot Phoenix and Vikings 1&2 in the same banner. unsure.gif

They're all just over those far hills! biggrin.gif

Perhaps Phil-o-Vision can pick them out.
Attached Image

Yes, there they are laugh.gif

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Sep 13 2012, 05:29 AM
Post #139

Administrator

Member No.: 454

Someone on Twitter (astronomer Alex Parker) just HAD to point out that if Spirit is incorporeal, so should Sojourner be. Unless it's a zombie Sojourner. Interesting thought.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
Astro0
post Sep 13 2012, 08:02 AM
Post #140

Hmm, we know that the Pathfinder mother station stopped working, but no one knows if Sojourner gave up the ghost! Just sayin' wink.gif

+Quote Post
nprev
post Sep 14 2012, 03:35 AM
Post #141

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

All hail Zombie Sojourner!!! tongue.gif

Yeah, I had a sad too for Spirit, Astro0. But, wow, your work just knocks my eyes out, every time. Good thing I keep a spare set in my chest compartment...

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
akuo
post Sep 14 2012, 05:46 AM
Post #142

Group: Members
Member No.: 63

LOL at Phil-o-vision and Zombie Sojourner. I can imagine her still roaming the Ares Vallis for CPU brains.

Also mention of the far away hills brought to mind Twin Peaks and how we would never even try to get there. How have the scales of the distances and ambitions changed.

--------------------
Antti Kuosmanen

+Quote Post
Astro0
post Oct 11 2012, 11:31 PM
Post #143

For the record...
Attached Image

About time we gave a nod to the Deep Space Network for getting us all that lovely data we've enjoyed for so many years.
Where would all those missions be without them wink.gif

(lost in space is the answer by the way!) laugh.gif

+Quote Post
RoverDriver
post Oct 12 2012, 03:02 AM
Post #144

Member No.: 1200

I second your salute to the DSN stations. I don't know where *I* would be without them but surely all the BUDs of SoCal would have been horded and assembled by JPL to talk to our probes. Sort of like a VLABUD (very large array of big ugly dishes) ;-)

Paolo

--------------------
Disclaimer: all opinions, ideas and information included here are my own,and should not be intended to represent opinion or policy of my employer.

+Quote Post
Ron Hobbs
post Dec 2 2012, 09:12 PM
Post #145

Member No.: 745

Glad to see the tribute to Mariner 2, the one that started it all.

wheel.gif

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Dec 2 2012, 10:23 PM
Post #146

Member No.: 5221

Yes, it looks very nice; though technically it all began with the Luna probes in the late 1950s. A trip to the Moon counts as 'unmanned spaceflight'!

+Quote Post
nprev
post Dec 2 2012, 11:10 PM
Post #147

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

Mariner 2 was the first successful interplanetary mission. Who said anything about it being the first successful UMSF?

That would be Sputnik I, if you want to be completely pedantic about it.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Dec 3 2012, 12:31 AM
Post #148

Member No.: 5221

True, and with all those 50 year commemorations on the first couple pages of the thread, they're represented well.

+Quote Post
PDP8E
post Dec 3 2012, 04:27 AM
Post #149

Member No.: 1241

Thanks Astro0, for the Mariner 2 logo... it made me remember...

I remember the newspapers describing the launch in the summer of '62. My Dad (a WWII Big-Red-One vet and ham radio guy) would always make sure we read the 'space' articles. We would sit around the kitchen table after dinner, and since we all couldn't read it at the same time, one of us (5 kids) would be tasked to read 'the interesting news' out loud (as Dad called it). That night, the interesting news was that "we where actually going to Venus!".

Then later in that winter, I remember that we were reading about what Mariner 2 had found. The big news was that the surface was scorching! No life there, we all concluded. (no images either, that would have to wait for Mariner 10, I think)

Its kind of quaint (in this fast paced internet age) how we depended upon the newspapers back then for our 'real time' space info. Our huge kitchen table was the center of our life. We had a 5x3 blackboard on one wall of the kitchen, with chalk and erasers so that any one of us could explain or develop a problem or just draw. It was where we shared meals, read the papers, did our homework, debated everything, and learned about the world...and all the while Dad's old Hallicrafters SB-40 radio was always on, softly audible from its shelf in the "pantry/Ham Radio Shack" off the kitchen, tuned to WBZ news.

Those 50 years have really zipped by...
I miss Dad, he would have loved the news from all the space craft 'out there' today.

--------------------
CLA CLL

+Quote Post
Astro0
post Dec 18 2012, 01:26 PM
Post #150

A slightly more traditional banner to follow on from today's temporary version smile.gif

Attached Image

+Quote Post

14 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 12 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:36 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.