IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

57 Pages V  « < 25 26 27 28 29 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
First drill stop: John Klein in Yellowknife Bay, Site 6, Sol 166-271, January 23-May 12, 2013
mcaplinger
post Feb 20 2013, 05:09 PM
Post #391

Group: Members
Member No.: 497

QUOTE (360pano.eu @ Feb 19 2013, 11:47 PM) *
Please don't hesitate to share it wink.gif

Very nice!

Would you be interested in posting the mosaic as a flat image? I find the 360cities interface almost unusable, and I am interested in finding the seams and parallax errors in your product (which are practically inevitable given the geometry of the images unless you applied some kind of correction beyond my ability to do, in which case I'm even more impressed.)

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Feb 20 2013, 05:39 PM
Post #392

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Yes, a nice product, but I agree that the 360cities version is really hard to use in any serious way. It's more of a "gee-whiz lookit what this new-fangled compooter-thingy can do" interface. Like the now-ubiquitous movie scenes of millions of monsters pouring over the landscape before the hero vanquishes them single-handed - just because it can be done! But it's getting tiresome. (but I digress - yes, it's a great image, can we get it flat and static?)

PS new telecon this afternoon, 3:00 Eastern Time - finally!

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
fredk
post Feb 20 2013, 05:56 PM
Post #393

Member No.: 152

You can see what he's done in splicing together the mahli and mastcam mosaics at high zoom levels. No magic reprojections, just a lot of hard splicing work, by the looks of it. It's definitely a very striking image, but I have mixed thoughts about it because of the way pieces of the ground which are not actually adjacent have been spliced together. More of a "could be" Mars than the real Mars. Still, definitely worth the effort.

+Quote Post
Sohl
post Feb 20 2013, 06:15 PM
Post #394

Member No.: 6854

All: Has there been any hint from the MSL team that the "shiny prong" will be a ChemCam target? Some closer MAHLI shots of it would be nice too.

It appears to be out of range for the laser, at around 9 metres vs laser range 7 metres. I guess chemcam imaging could be done.

To get any benefit from mahli, we'd have to drive a lot closer, and it doesn't look like that's going to happen soon.

The bigger question is: does the team think it's worth the effort?

Understood about the ChemCam range. I was hoping that Curiosity would be driven over that way at least a few meters to get a better look, hopefully before the conjunction blackout. Maybe Emily or some other telecon attendee today will ask whether the MSL thinks it is "worth the effort"? It seems to be a different material than the matrix rock, so it should be interesting for its geology, yes?

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Feb 20 2013, 07:30 PM
Post #395

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

"Earlier today, Curiosity engineers confirmed the rover had collected the first-ever sample from inside a rock on Mars."

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Feb 20 2013, 07:33 PM
Post #396

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

I am going to indulge in speculation and say that we'll be seeing pictures of rock powder inside the scoop, because that's how I think they would "confirm collection." We'll find out in half an hour...

Sohl: I'll let the MSM ask about shiny things and Sasquatches. My role is to ask more technical questions!

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
fredk
post Feb 20 2013, 07:55 PM
Post #397

Member No.: 152

Yup.

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/msl/mult...a/pia16729.html

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Feb 20 2013, 07:56 PM
Post #398

Member No.: 5221

The rest of the visuals are here:
http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/msl/telecon/index.html

EDIT: and starting now....

+Quote Post
Sohl
post Feb 20 2013, 09:22 PM
Post #399

Member No.: 6854

Sasquatches
? huh.gif

I just wonder if this rock prong is something else that has not been seen (or not much) before on Mars... quartz/quartzite? Actual metallic? (what kind would not oxidize though?)...

MSL, zap it with ChemCam and do a science! If it is _only_ a really hard calcium sulfate vein, that might still be scientifically interesting.

Emily, I really enjoy your blogs and twitter updates. Keep it up!

OK, I'll go back to lurking now until there's something new to talk about.

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post Feb 20 2013, 09:26 PM
Post #400

Member No.: 105

QUOTE (fredk @ Feb 20 2013, 02:55 PM) *
Yup.
Should that ochre residue on the lip and rear of the cup present problems with contamination?

--Bill

--------------------

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Feb 20 2013, 10:01 PM
Post #401

Member No.: 542

Sasquatches
QUOTE (Sohl @ Feb 20 2013, 09:22 PM) *
? huh.gif

A reference to the matter of this thread of yore. (The link goes to one particularly brilliant post.) http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...st&p=108306

+Quote Post
belleraphon1
post Feb 20 2013, 10:35 PM
Post #402

Member No.: 627

Was busy at work so just now getting to listen to this. So glad to see sample in the sccop!

Craig smile.gif

+Quote Post
PaulH51
post Feb 20 2013, 11:35 PM
Post #403

Member No.: 6853

QUOTE (belleraphon1 @ Feb 21 2013, 06:35 AM) *
So glad to see sample in the sccop!
Craig smile.gif

Yes, very nice to see the image of the drill sample in the scoop.

However this image of the collected tailings in the scoop makes me question if I am using the correct JPL raw image repository. I tried the official MSL / JPL page using various sol pages as well as the MASTCAM listings and cant find the image or it's thumbnails. I also used Joe's and a couple of others, all without success. Can anyone help point me towards the repository I should be using ? TIA...

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Feb 20 2013, 11:51 PM
Post #404

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

It's not there yet. The photo was taken during the day on sol 193, so that was no more than 20 hours ago. Mastcam pictures don't get posted until 24 hours after acquisition. Thus the sudden hurry to do a press briefing today -- they wanted to tell their story before the raw images hit the Web.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
Airbag
post Feb 20 2013, 11:58 PM
Post #405

Member No.: 453

New Mastcam-100 images down for sol 192; so far they form a thin strip pano (centered on this direction):
Attached Image

There is another "floating rock" in this pano (makes me think of "Separate the saucer section, number one!"):
Attached Image

Airbag

+Quote Post

57 Pages V  « < 25 26 27 28 29 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 06:14 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.