13 Pages V  « < 9 10 11 12 13 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
(Trying to) Leave WH3 Behind
HughFromAlice
post Mar 1 2009, 02:23 PM
Post #151

Group: Members
Member No.: 3989

Just after I posted I had a quick check to see if AJS Rayl's monthly Rover Report was on the TPS web site.

Don't have time to read her whole article but I saw this near the beginning (para 6) !!! .......""Way back, years ago, anything under 300 watt-hours, we assumed we would be dead," reflected MER team member Steve Ruff, of Arizona State University. "We broke through this 250-watt barrier and now everyone's all excited because we've got close to 300 watt-hours." http://www.planetary.org/news/2009/0228_Ma...ate_Spirit.html

Things sure have come a long way! Exciting and a privilege to watch it all unfold in real time!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fredk
post Mar 1 2009, 04:44 PM
Post #152

Member No.: 152

This bit from the new PS report caught my eye:
Then, Spirit will head back onto Home Plate by way of a known and previously used ‘on-ramp,’ drive across it to the south, and onward to von Braun, "maybe on the eastern side of Crossfield, the distinctive geological feature between Low Ridge and Goddard,” Arvidson said.

That's a surprize to me: the east side of Crossfield is not the most direct route to vB/G, the west side is direct. Perhaps the east side looks more drivable or has potential science targets.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Mar 1 2009, 05:06 PM
Post #153

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Why would taking the known option - the place where we know we can get onto HP with 5 wheel drive - be a surprise?

There's odometer directness, and chronologic directness smile.gif

+Quote Post
fredk
post Mar 1 2009, 05:25 PM
Post #154

I suppose I wasn't very clear with my comment: It's no surprize to aim for the 1306 onramp (I've been pointing it out for some time). What's surprizing is the route that the quote describes south of HP. Crossfield is the roughly HP-sized feature to the SSE of HP, labelled in this official map, for example. You can see from that map that the east side of Crossfield is a longer route than the west side, in travelling from the south end of HP to vB/G.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Mar 1 2009, 05:45 PM
Post #155

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

OK - I get you now. I think we're probably reading too much into what remains a month or two away at least.

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Mar 1 2009, 05:48 PM
Post #156

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 98

That is news to me also, but it may make some sense. There are areas the other way that have a bit of that "Tyrone deathtrap" look about them, and "Crossfield" looks like it may be a good incidental target in its own right.

My, aren't we having fun on Mars, in extreme slow motion.

+Quote Post
fredk
post Mar 1 2009, 06:38 PM
Post #157

QUOTE (Ipparchus @ Mar 1 2009, 01:08 PM) *
Please, tell me your opinions about my proposed route and Winter Haven.

I'd agree with ngunn that there are some pretty steep slopes out there and we likely would have a lot of trouble navigating them with five wheels.

This navcam view shows both the steepness of Von Braun and how difficult it would be to drive onto S. Promontory/Saddle from the west. I think we might be able to taste the Saddle, but we'd have to take a more direct route from the S. end of HP.

It will be interesting to see how much progress we can make at VB/G.

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Mar 3 2009, 05:07 PM
Post #158

Spirit sol 1833, 180x90 degree Navcam equirectangular projection centered on east.

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Mar 3 2009, 09:07 PM
Post #159

Member No.: 253

Fresh pics from sol 1836 on the usual place: http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/spirit/navcam/2009-03-03/
And the NE path to Silica Valley will not be an easy one. Check this RHAZ image:
Attached Image

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Mar 3 2009, 09:30 PM
Post #160

The last two drives, including sol 1836, have seen Spirit basically drifting left (left, that is, facing the direction the rover is driving, which is backwards). I'm guessing that was not the desired result. So, not looking good.

But maybe one or two more attempts to come?

+Quote Post
Stu
post Mar 4 2009, 12:54 AM
Post #161

The Poet Dude

Member No.: 60

Rocks on a ridge... can't beat 'em...

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Mar 4 2009, 10:51 PM
Post #162

Looks like she backed up/turned right tosol (1837). Lining up for another try, I suspect.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
BrianL
post Mar 5 2009, 01:35 AM
Post #163

Member No.: 721

Now might be a good time to unveil the secret JATO module they've been holding in reserve. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Stu
post Mar 6 2009, 11:40 AM
Post #164

The Poet Dude

Member No.: 60

Latest 3D view of Spirit's surroundings...

http://cumbriansky.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/spmar6.jpg

Lovely depth of field again, I think. Who wouldn't love to wander around all those ridges and dips, just drinking in the view..?

--------------------

+Quote Post
BrianL
post Mar 6 2009, 04:52 PM
Post #165

Member No.: 721

QUOTE (Stu @ Mar 6 2009, 05:40 AM) *
Who wouldn't love to wander around all those ridges and dips, just drinking in the view..?

Stu, that's bordering dangerously on talk of manned spaceflight. wink.gif

+Quote Post

13 Pages V  « < 9 10 11 12 13 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 04:05 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.