10 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
HAPS-1, UMSFB1 redux
ElkGroveDan
post Aug 23 2008, 11:40 PM
Post #31

Group: Admin
Member No.: 197

The Google Earth link really helps for we foreigners who aren't instinctively familiar with the local geography.

This looks like you are going to get some astounding images if everything works well.

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
djellison
post Aug 24 2008, 05:46 AM
Post #32

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Right - 0640 - early start - I'm packing up the car and heading out to Cambridge. Keep an eye on http://spacenear.us/tracker/ for tweets, possibly ustream, hopefully live tracking, and an IRC channel. The 'live' images from the top are a pre-loaded jpg, but overlayed with realtime time/gps/altitude data from the payload downlinked as SSTV (couldn't get a webcam / hacked canon to work properly in time to take images for that)

I have the A560 with it's firmware ready to go ( 10s of 320 x 240 x 15fps, then 5 stills, then 30s sleep - looped ) - and a backup A550 with just a 20s looping one image script ready to put on instead if the A560 dies during launch prep ( only one will launch )

The uStreamage will probably be from me ( if it works ) on my Macbook Pro - so I'll try and show you all the things happening after launch - and even try and get the launch itself, but I'll be busy doing launch preps so no promises there.

Doug

+Quote Post
djellison
post Aug 24 2008, 08:38 AM
Post #33

Founder

At Churchill - heavy rain is now dying off to a drizzle. We think we will be launching later than planned - more like 12 than 11

+Quote Post
djellison
post Aug 24 2008, 11:08 AM
Post #34

Founder

Fun times with the avionics - leaving James to troubleshoot while we have some lunch.

+Quote Post
JTN
post Aug 24 2008, 04:31 PM
Post #35

Group: Members
Member No.: 563

They launched around 14:25 BST, with GSM disabled because it was playing up. Unfortunately the packet radio has been too weak to hear, apparently. The beacon was strong last I heard, though. I think everyone's now wandering around Norfolk in cars trying to track it.

A few random pics of the launch in my webspace. Also got a launch video which I'm figuring out how best to upload.

+Quote Post
JTN
post Aug 24 2008, 06:24 PM
Post #36

Member No.: 563

Wobbly launch video now linked at the above page (or direct link), Apologies for rotation halfway through. Helen says on IRC that they're still getting signals and are hunting in a field in Diss.

+Quote Post
hmaffin
post Aug 24 2008, 07:06 PM
Post #37

Member No.: 2

Hi all

Doug's better half Helen here. Have been keeping the IRC thread up to date with news all day as and when Doug called or texted, due to the lack of ustream and tracking data.

About 15 minutes ago i had a call to say they had seen the balloon. They were hunting around a lady's paddock where they had tracked the beacon to, and she was helping them look. She then spotted the red material of the parachute in a neighbour's field, and he was around and kindly let them in to reclaim the balloon.

It was in one piece, good condition, and the camera worked a treat. The pictures, i have been told, are AWESOME - with black skies, bluey atmosphere, clouds and even a bit of the curve of the earth. The movies have worked too.

Doug says that pictures and videos will follow - but he won't be home here til nearly midnight GMT, so don't expect them for a few hours yet!

My congrats to the balloon team and hello to all those who followed the day on mibbit smile.gif

Helen

+Quote Post
Paolo Amoroso
post Aug 24 2008, 07:30 PM
Post #38

Member No.: 1633

QUOTE (dougs_better_half @ Aug 24 2008, 09:06 PM) *
About 15 minutes ago i had a call to say they had seen the balloon.

Breaking news: I have just received a picture they took of the payload on the ground smile.gif

Congratulations on an exciting and successful mission.

Paolo Amoroso

--------------------
Avventure Planetarie - Blog sulla comunicazione e divulgazione scientifica

+Quote Post
hmaffin
post Aug 24 2008, 10:17 PM
Post #39

Member No.: 2

QUOTE (dougs_better_half @ Aug 24 2008, 08:06 PM) *
hunting around a lady's paddock

Ack - i just realised how dreadfully euphemistic that sounds...

Anyway Doug's home now, so I'm sure pics will follow very shortly...

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Aug 24 2008, 10:26 PM
Post #40

Thanks Helen. I wasn't aware of any other place to follow the events of the day, so I've been checking back here. Sounds like you'll want Doug to leave his shoes outside when he gets home. No telling what he stepped in out there.

--------------------

+Quote Post
djellison
post Aug 24 2008, 10:31 PM
Post #41

Founder

Launch at 1425 BST (1325Z)
Apogee at 1628 BST (1528Z)
Landing at 1712 BST (1612Z)
at 52.443499°N
1.203319°E

Amazingly, with a 10s out of every minute chance - I think we got all three events at least partially as videos.
Not sure of Apogee height yet.

Attached, one cool movie from near apogee, and one cool still during flight, and the scene at landing.

130 mile drive home. Shattered. More funky pics tomorrow - ALL the stills and vids will get uploaded over the next few days ( 3 gig ) . Not got full KML's yet - I may have KML's for the bottom 'half' of the ascent (cheap GPS craps out at 18km ) - but if I had to guess - I would say we ticked the 100,000ft box - we have SO MANY amazing image from altitude.

Kudos to James Coxon for the avionics half ( even if it didn't go to plan, it went enough to plan to get it back ), Ed and Fergus for the epic amount of experience, and Steve for his awesome Radio + Yagi signal finding technique. And Helen, our press officer and outreach coordinator wink.gif Everyone played their part and it wouldn't have worked without all of them.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Attached Image

Attached File(s)
Attached File  MVI_6476.MOV ( 394.15K ) Number of downloads: 559

+Quote Post
djellison
post Aug 24 2008, 10:56 PM
Post #42

Founder

My stand-alone GPS logger excelled itself. I thought it would crap-out at 18km

926 24/08/2008 15:59:59 5222.0828 52.95 19.1 23919

that's it at 23.9km - the next record

927 24/08/2008 16:33:21 5224.0947 50.7969 52.1 23942

33 mins later - back at 23.9km 16:28 was apogee in the GPS 'hole' of coverage on my logger.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Aug 24 2008, 11:24 PM
Post #43

Founder

Here's altitude against time (mins from launch) . The thick part is actual data points. The thin is rough extrapolation after it hit the GPS 'hole' for cheap GPS smile.gif I'd say 32km is a fair estimate - 104,000ft

Hopefully we'll have a better figure from the GPS on the avionics board, but I'm not 100% sure.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Aug 24 2008, 11:37 PM
Post #44

Congratulations Doug. That is just about the coolest darn thing I've seen anyone I know do on a Sunday afternoon.

--------------------

+Quote Post
james_coxon
post Aug 24 2008, 11:55 PM
Post #45

Member No.: 4109

Pretty good guess at the burst altitude which was 32337.4M (106093.8ft)

The full gps log can be found at http://www.pegasushabproject.org.uk/wiki/d...s:haps-1:biglog

James

http://www.pegasushabproject.org.uk

Edit: Also the kml file can be found on the HAPS-1 page: http://www.pegasushabproject.org.uk/wiki/d...ons:haps:haps-1

+Quote Post

10 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:37 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.