Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Mars Mystery Solved?
dvandorn
post Sep 25 2015, 02:26 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 15

Per the JPL website, there will be a presser on Monday morning, at 8:30 am PDT, which features several NASA science directorate types, but includes from current active JPL mission scientists only MRO/HiRISE PI Alfred McEwen. So I'm assuming the "major discovery" announcement was developed from MRO data.

The details are embargoed until 30 minutes prior to the presser, but the headline on the article is Mars Mystery Solved.

I'm looking forward to seeing what they have discovered.

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JRehling
post Sep 25 2015, 04:08 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 321

Hmm, what are some Mars mysteries that MRO could address?

The crash site and fate of Deep Space 2.
The location of the Soviet lander Mars 3.
Something about gully formation.
Something about transient methane sources.

The last two would certainly involve non-MRO scientists.

Truthfully, the list is almost infinite, but the absence of more cross-listed scientists plus the recent discovery of Beagle 2 makes me suspect that they may have found DS 2.

+Quote Post
JRehling
post Sep 25 2015, 04:12 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 321

One more scientist is cross-listed: Lujendra Ojha at Georgia Tech. He co-authored a 2011 paper about this:

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/MRO/mult...a/pia14472.html

So this announcement is probably about surface flows indicating possible subsurface brines (similar to the gully issue), not about finding lost spacecraft.

+Quote Post
gpurcell
post Sep 25 2015, 04:15 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 127

QUOTE (JRehling @ Sep 24 2015, 11:12 PM) *
One more scientist is cross-listed: Lujendra Ojha at Georgia Tech. He co-authored a 2011 paper about this:

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/MRO/mult...a/pia14472.html

So this announcement is probably about surface flows indicating possible subsurface brines (similar to the gully issue), not about finding lost spacecraft.

You beat me by two minutes!

http://www.lujendraojha.net/band-horizon/

Dynamic Process on Contemporary mars

One of my interest is understanding the formation mechanism of Recurring Slope Lineae (RSL). RSL are active features on Mars that might require flowing water. On Mars, they form and grow during warm seasons and disappear during cold seasons. They recur over multiple years in generally the same location. I use remote sensing instruments on board various Mars orbiting space crafts to understand their geological/hydrological nature. Additionally, I use data from CRISM onboard MRO to understand its formation mechanism.

+Quote Post
vikingmars
post Sep 25 2015, 01:18 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 172

QUOTE (JRehling @ Sep 25 2015, 06:08 AM) *
Truthfully, the list is almost infinite, but the absence of more cross-listed scientists plus the recent discovery of Beagle 2 makes me suspect that they may have found DS 2.

...or the fate of the Mars Polar Lander in 1999 ?
Attached Image

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:21 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.