Reply to this topicStart new topic
Steve Squyres Q & A - The Mp3
ljk4-1
post Sep 23 2005, 06:03 PM
Post #46

Group: Members
Member No.: 430

QUOTE (odave @ Sep 23 2005, 12:34 PM)
I finally got some free time today and listened to the interview.  Like everyone else, I thought Doug did a great job - thanks for doing it!

Towards the end, when asked about Carl Sagan, Steve mentioned that someone sent him an e-mail with a quote from Cosmos about a future rover mission.  I cracked my copy open and think I found the passage - hopefully I transcribed it correctly.  Have a read, it's very prophetic...

Excerpt from Cosmos by Carl Sagan (1980), “Blues for a Red Planet”, pp. 129-130:

Replace "television screens" with "computer screens" and he's got it. smile.gif

Carl Sagan also mentioned two robot Mars rovers in his 1985 SF novel, Contact, one of which had a prophetic incident:

"They approached L’Orangerie, in the annex of which was a special exhibition, so the poster proclaimed, “Images Martiennes.” The joint American-French-Sovict robot roving vehicles on Mars had produced a spectacular windfall of color photographs, some—like the Voyager images of the outer solar system around 1980—soaring beyond their mere scientific purpose and becoming art. The poster featured a landscape photographed on the vast Elysium Plateau. In the foreground was a three-sided pyramid, smooth, highly eroded, with an impact crater near the base. It had been produced by millions of years of high-speed sandblasting by the fierce Martian winds, the planetary geologists had said. A second rover—assigned to Cydonia, on the other side of Mars—had become mired in a drifting dune, and its controllers in Pasadena had been so far unable to respond to its forlorn cries for help."

--------------------
"After having some business dealings with men, I am occasionally chagrined,
and feel as if I had done some wrong, and it is hard to forget the ugly circumstance.
I see that such intercourse long continued would make one thoroughly prosaic, hard,
and coarse. But the longest intercourse with Nature, though in her rudest moods, does
not thus harden and make coarse. A hard, sensible man whom we liken to a rock is
indeed much harder than a rock. From hard, coarse, insensible men with whom I have
no sympathy, I go to commune with the rocks, whose hearts are comparatively soft."

- Henry David Thoreau, November 15, 1853

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
AndyG
post Sep 23 2005, 09:41 PM
Post #47

Member No.: 279

Hi Doug,

I'm one of the 200+ downloaders and I got an hour to hear the interview today. I don't normally post "me too" replies, but I have to say the interview was well done, informative, and a cut above the usual level of reporting we find in the media. SS's humanity came through well (I haven't really heard him speak before.)

In summary (apart from the occasional wind noise) an excellent job.

Thank you!

Andy G

+Quote Post
Redstone
post Sep 24 2005, 04:59 PM
Post #48

Member No.: 191

Doug, I've now listened to the interview twice. A second time through was rewarding because there is so much good information packed into 50 minutes. Thanks for putting it all together.

Odave, thanks for the quote. It helps put Steve's comments in context.

And for David, ElkGroveDan and SFJCody, I put on the headphones, cranked up the volume and deciphered Steve's answer to the 3rd Rover Site queston.
Melas Chasma, you know, down in the Valles Marineris, that was really tempting. That would have been a good one. Its a scary site because a lot of it's covered by sand dunes, like 30% of that site was covered with sand dunes and you come down on the dunes, man, you're screwed. But, it would have been spectacular topography, and really cool layered rocks, so that would have been a good one.

I guess we have to remember a dune is not a ripple!

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 08:06 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.