IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Calibration Target?, MER Earth rock calibration target?
Airbag
post Nov 19 2005, 07:34 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 453

Looks like we finally get to see a picture of the Earth rock calibration target? The metal ring around the outside (plus the very polished surface) tell us this is not a picture of a RAT drilling, let alone that this type of rock is not obvious around Erebus!

Airbag
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post Nov 19 2005, 11:40 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 105

That's it-- the pesky magnetite calibration target.

Attached is an enhanced view of Oppy's and a similarly enhanced view of Spirit's calibration target.

I wish we had pre-flight images of these targets...

--Bill

edit: updated image

--------------------

+Quote Post
helvick
post Nov 20 2005, 01:34 AM
Post #3

Dublin Correspondent

Group: Admin
Member No.: 220

QUOTE (Bill Harris @ Nov 20 2005, 12:40 AM)
I wish we had pre-flight images of these targets...

Yep, the differences between them are quite significant but we've no idea if they have any significance.

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post Nov 20 2005, 04:33 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 105

Either one does not seem to be an unremarkable sawed section of hematite, but it would be nice to know.

As I recall, this calibration target is supposed to have a thin inert covering over it. I also recall that Oppy did a calibration run recently and probably came up with odd reults, which prompted this peek.

--Bill

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 05:53 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.