IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

17 Pages V  « < 9 10 11 12 13 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Lunar Spacecraft Images, A place for moon panoramas, mosaics etc.
nprev
post Dec 30 2007, 11:35 PM
Post #151

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Dec 30 2007, 02:20 PM) *
But it's a bit of a mess. Surveyor was quickly overshadowed by Apollo and people lost interest - of course, there wasn't an amateur image processing community in those days.

Phil

What an incredible shame...but also a call to arms for all you imagesmiths out there. I wonder if NASA would react favorably to an organized amateur (and, boy do I use that term loosely here) effort to digitally preserve images from the first Golden Age of UMSF?

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Apr 21 2008, 09:08 PM
Post #152

Solar System Cartographer

Group: Members
Member No.: 227

I made this map for another purpose, but just in case it might be useful for anybody else - outreach or education, whatever - I'll post it here. The background is the old US Air Force (ACIC) Lunar Earthside Mosaic (LEM), a classic of lunar cartography in its own right. This time next year we should have two new sites to plot on it - both very near the south pole (LCROSS and Chandrayaan's MIP - Moon Impact Probe). I have not shown everything - could have added a few Lunas, the Apollo LMs and SIVBs, two failed Surveyors... but I chose what I deemed the most significant. A bigger version with everything is in the works.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Apr 25 2008, 05:25 AM
Post #153

Here's a blast from the past. The horizon portion of the "Picture of the Century" (never call an image that until the last month of the century!), the mountains north of Copernicus viewed by Lunar Orbiter 2. Nasty processing artifacts are not my fault this time.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------

NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Apr 30 2008, 10:51 AM
Post #154

I should have added hat these mountains are the Carpathians (Montes Carpatus). On Earth the Carpathians cross Romania, so the Romanian team in the Google Lunar X Prize is planning to land on the mare plains just to the north of them, able to look back at the other side of these mountains.

Phil

--------------------

+Quote Post
jekbradbury
post Jun 14 2008, 02:40 PM
Post #155

Member No.: 4172

I think I have removed a few of the worst artifacts from that image (the horizontal banding), but it isn't really all that much better:

Attached Image

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Jul 13 2008, 11:57 PM
Post #156

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Member No.: 33

Here is a compilation of relatively recent lunar images (the last decade or so) from spacecraft heading to other places. I only included global views, and I excluded views with orientations similar to that seen from earth (with the exception of the Cassini view because I had already processed it). I also left out some extremely distant images. Due to the lack of Rosetta raw data, Rosetta images are not included (I see absolutely no point in wasting my time trying to reprocess processed images when the raw stuff will be available sooner or later, rendering my effort moot).

The images are as follows: First Column: Top: Nozomi, 1998. Middle: Nozomi, 1998. Bottom: Messenger, 2005. Second Column: Cassini, 1999. Middle: NEAR, 1998. Bottom: Hayabusa, 2004. Third column: Top: Deep Impact, 2005. Middle and Bottom: Stardust, 2001.

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Decepticon
post Jul 14 2008, 11:43 PM
Post #157

Member No.: 114

T you Rock!

Thats a keeper.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jul 15 2008, 12:06 AM
Post #158

Yes, a great job, Ted. I don't think I've seen all of them before. Now I have to go back and check.

Phil

--------------------

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Jul 15 2008, 01:24 AM
Post #159

The NEAR image is the one from the famous Earth-Moon mosaic. I just stacked images until I could pull out some lunar detail.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ilbasso
post Jul 15 2008, 04:22 PM
Post #160

Member No.: 103

Beautiful images, Ted. I'm struck by how unfamiliar - and downright alien - our Moon can look when viewed from a different perspective than the one we see every day.

For me, this disconnect or disorientation comes from seeing the Moon as an entire disk. It almost looks like a different place, especially in the far side shots where few or none of the familiar craters and maria are visible. From an up-close perspective like Apollo had from orbit, I'm mentally willing to accept that the craters and mountains I see are indeed our Moon. But from farther away, where it's obviously a "world," I get a sense that I'm looking at something else other than good ol' Luna. The far side somehow doesn't look as "beautiful" as the near side.

Maybe my 51+ years of looking at it, most of those years as an amateur astronomer, have helped me feel like I know the near side almost like the back of my hand. I imagine most of you are like me, that whenever we see a photo of the Moon on TV or in a movie, can tell immediately when the image is reversed, or that they substitute one of the Apollo full-disk shots that shows too far around the eastern limb.

If I were to wish one perspective change that we have for the Moon, it's that Mare Orientale would be facing more toward Earth! Wouldn't that be a glorious sight to behold every month?!

--------------------
Jonathan Ward
Manning the LCC at http://www.apollolaunchcontrol.com

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Jul 15 2008, 07:37 PM
Post #161

The lack of maria gives it an utterly different appearance. I agree that it seems unfamiliar. Also, as a consequence of the basins not being as fully flooded, it looks more rugged.

--------------------

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Jul 30 2008, 11:42 PM
Post #162

Here is another rarely seen shot. It is a mosaic of three Apollo 17 35 millimeter shots and shows part of the Orientale Basin. The frames are heavily vignetted, resulting in the outer areas of each image being severely underexposed. Although I corrected for that in terms of brightness, the quality is noticeably worse near the edges.

Attached Image

Here are two other frames showing the Orientale area.

Attached Image

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Aug 1 2008, 02:56 PM
Post #163

It is today's LPOD.

--------------------

+Quote Post
nprev
post Aug 1 2008, 04:05 PM
Post #164

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

Very nice indeed, Ted; congratulations! smile.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Nov 10 2008, 11:41 PM
Post #165

A bit of a teaser:

http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewpr.html?pid=26900

"NASA will hold a media briefing at 3 p.m. PST on Thursday, Nov. 13, 2008, to unveil a newly restored historic image from the early days of lunar exploration and discuss the innovative processing technique used to retrieve the image. "

I see Charles Byrne is a speaker. He has a couple of nice books out on cleaned-up Lunar Orbiter images. Charles worked at Bellcomm during Apollo, including work on the Lunar Orbiter missions and on the Apollo Site Selection Board - he wrote their minutes, which are held now at LPI in Houston. I had dinner with him one night at Ames this summer... I'm trying to remember if he said anything that might relate to this specific image... it's probably one of the Lunar Orbiter images that was too messed up to use.

Phil

--------------------

+Quote Post

17 Pages V  « < 9 10 11 12 13 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 11:30 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.