IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Cubesat 10x10x10cm 1kg Payload, Lets here it then...
djellison
post Sep 14 2006, 10:29 PM
Post #61

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

I think they're a fantastic development. I don't think they're in the realm of good science observations ( some interesting measurements, but no optics etc) yet..but 2u/3u sats could certainly include something interesting

For your average private individual - it's still not 'cheap' - I've seen lots of figures from about $10k to about $200k for a full project. It depends if you have generous suppliers etc etc smile.gif

I'd say it takes a handfull of experts - more than just one person - but not a huge team. It's not easy - and there's no guarentees ( as the tragic recent launch failure reminds us all ) - but it's a fascinating and exciting developmetn and I'm always interested to see what the inginuity of students and universities can think of to do with the platforum - and what Pumpkin have done is make it even more accesable by producing a kit.

Doug
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Sep 14 2006, 11:01 PM
Post #62

Group: Members
Member No.: 497

QUOTE (Andrew Kalman @ Sep 12 2006, 05:11 PM) *
We've built and delivered 1U and 3U (solid-wall and skeletonized) units to customers.

I'm just curious, do you sell to non-US customers without an export license? I would think that some of this stuff would be classified as controlled by ITAR.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
Ant103
post Sep 15 2006, 10:37 AM
Post #63

Member No.: 678

And what about the launch cost? And the launcher, have we the choice between a small launcher (Delta...) or Space Shuttle? Or European launcher (I think about the next generation of small launcher propose by the ESA, named Vega)?

I made a little reflexion about a mini-scope, with a diameter of 70mm, Schmidt-Cassegrain or Maksutov for the optical system. The miror will be in the box and the second miror will be open and will extend after the launch on a distance of 30cm. I will draw schematics to explain my futur project.

--------------------

+Quote Post
djellison
post Sep 15 2006, 11:01 AM
Post #64

Founder

I don't think the shuttle would be used for these anymore. Converted Russian ICBM's make the bulk of the launch manifest for Cubesats - but using the PPOD, there's scope to launch them as a secondary payload on the other vehicles you mention, Delta 2/4, Atlas 5, Ariane 5, and in the future Vega etc. I think working with Cubesat teams is a sensible investment for the LV manufacturers. The students that build and fly these things are the same students that the major LV and astronautical engineering firms will want to employ in the future.... by spending the money on accomodating Cubesat PPOD's when volume and mass budgets allow, they're essentially giving experience to future employees - it's a good trade.

Just as an aside Andrew - is there any chance of the 1/2U, 2U and 3U chassis CAD files making it onto the website? I'm not a potential customer ( unless I win the lottery in which case I'll be turning into a philanthropist and funding several UK universities to start cubesat projects ) - but I do like looking at these things - even if just from a creative standpoint for making pretty picture smile.gif http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...ost&id=1588

Doug

+Quote Post
Ant103
post Sep 15 2006, 04:55 PM
Post #65

Member No.: 678

Not very serious posting…
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew Kalman
post Sep 20 2006, 05:54 PM
Post #66

Member No.: 1135

QUOTE (djellison @ Sep 15 2006, 11:01 AM) *
Just as an aside Andrew - is there any chance of the 1/2U, 2U and 3U chassis CAD files making it onto the website? I'm not a potential customer ( unless I win the lottery in which case I'll be turning into a philanthropist and funding several UK universities to start cubesat projects ) - but I do like looking at these things - even if just from a creative standpoint for making pretty picture smile.gif http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...ost&id=1588

Doug
I'll see what we can do. We do have a 3U model (not yet on the site) 1/2U, 1 1/2U and 2U have not yet been ordered by any customers, so we haven't had time to make the models either.

One application of our model is not something I had originally envisioned, but it's pretty cool anyway. That is to simply take the model and run it through a rapid-prototyping (e.g. SL) machine, and then using it to attract attention, for fundraising, brainstorming, etc.

--Andrew

--------------------

CubeSat Kit™
A Product of Pumpkin, Inc.
750 Naples Street
San Francisco, CA 94112
tel: (415) 584-6360
fax: (415) 585-7948
web: http://www.cubesatkit.com
email: cubesatkit@pumpkininc.com

+Quote Post
Andrew Kalman
post Sep 20 2006, 06:00 PM
Post #67

QUOTE (mcaplinger @ Sep 14 2006, 11:01 PM) *
I'm just curious, do you sell to non-US customers without an export license? I would think that some of this stuff would be classified as controlled by ITAR.
Yes, we do.

This is a complex subject. To summarize (very briefly), because what we do is fully in the public domain and because the primary mission is research, then we are able to sell these to non-US customers without an export license.

That said, there are items we will not sell (because they would require an export license, which would put them out of the price range of CubeSats), like solar panel assemblies or cells.

That's one reason why we are partnering with companies like Clyde Space in Scotland, who offer a plug-and-play EPS solution for the CubeSat Kit, and who also are in the business of solar panel manufacturing.

--------------------

CubeSat Kit™
750 Naples Street
San Francisco, CA 94112

+Quote Post
J.J.
post Nov 23 2006, 05:41 PM
Post #68

Member No.: 722

I have simple tastes.

Assuming I had the expertise, two experiments I could do on a CubeSat would be:

--Monitoring civilian FM and AM ground stations as the satellite passed overhead.
--Using said transmissions to "listen" to meteors.
--Measuring the variation of radiation with each orbit.

These wouldn't be groundbreaking, but I would find them interesting.

--------------------
Mayor: Er, Master Betty, what is the Evil Council's plan?

Master Betty: Nyah. Haha. It is EVIL, it is so EVIL. It is a bad, bad plan, which will hurt many... people... who are good. I think it's great that it's so bad.

-Kung Pow: Enter the Fist

+Quote Post
Andrew Kalman
post Dec 5 2006, 10:27 PM
Post #69

QUOTE (Andrew Kalman @ Sep 20 2006, 05:54 PM) *
I'll see what we can do. We do have a 3U model (not yet on the site) 1/2U, 1 1/2U and 2U have not yet been ordered by any customers, so we haven't had time to make the models either.

3U models are now online, in a variety of CAD formats:

http://www.cubesatkit.com/content/design.html

--------------------

CubeSat Kit™
750 Naples Street
San Francisco, CA 94112

+Quote Post
Bob Shaw
post Dec 25 2006, 11:11 PM
Post #70

Member No.: 239

Perhaps the way forward *isn't* with solar cells, but with solar-powered Stirling Engines; pointing might be fun, though...

...in fact, simply flying a Stirling Engine in it's own right would be a good engineering mission!

http://www.gyroscope.com/d.asp?product=SOLARSTIRLING

Bob Shaw

--------------------
Remember: Time Flies like the wind - but Fruit Flies like bananas!

+Quote Post
Bob Shaw
post Dec 26 2006, 11:07 PM
Post #71

Another interesting prospect is on-line machining - design the CAD model, hit [Enter] and a week later your components arrive...

http://www.emachineshop.com/

Bob Shaw

--------------------

+Quote Post
helvick
post Dec 28 2006, 07:37 PM
Post #72

Dublin Correspondent

Group: Admin
Member No.: 220

Apologies for extending this slightly more OT but this sculptor uses such a 3D metal "printing" system to create exceptionally complex structures that would be flat out impossible to construct any other way.

+Quote Post
tuvas
post Dec 28 2006, 08:10 PM
Post #73

Member No.: 1062

One of the best uses for Cubesats is to do engineering tests. The two that were in the last launch from the University of Arizona had engineering purposes, and these were more than just seeing if student projects work. One was to do a test of a method of using a low-powered beacon to transmit data to earth, and the other was to test the effects of radiation on several components.

There are alot more things that could be done, but it takes a creative mind to come up with them. Any engineer can come up with a $4 billion dollar telescope that'll vastly improve our knowledge of the universe, but it takes a truly creative one to figure out how to do something new with such a small payload. Luckily most students have some sense of creativity.

+Quote Post
Bob Shaw
post Dec 28 2006, 11:30 PM
Post #74

QUOTE (helvick @ Dec 28 2006, 07:37 PM) *
Apologies for extending this slightly more OT but this sculptor uses such a 3D metal "printing" system to create exceptionally complex structures that would be flat out impossible to construct any other way.

Great links - puts me in mind of the times I've tried to build tesseracts out of matchsticks. A seriously clever artist, making a real art/science crossover!

Bob Shaw

--------------------

+Quote Post
djellison
post Dec 29 2006, 06:00 PM
Post #75

Founder

I actually went as far as getting a quote for some turned metal wheels for a model of Thrust 2 I was thinking of making...

Once I found out how much it was going to cost...I stopped thinking about making it biggrin.gif

Doug

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:06 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.