11 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Matijevic Hill detailed survey, Sol 3153 - 3290
ngunn
post Feb 1 2013, 10:45 PM
Post #61

Group: Members
Member No.: 542

I think that is just an overlay of the Whitewater Lake exposure as seen by the rover on a background Crism image. I don't think this is a Crism image that in itself delineates the smectite exposure in an obvious way. (The overlay has much higher resolution than the background, and much higher resolution than Crism.)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post Feb 2 2013, 03:06 AM
Post #62

Member No.: 105

Could be most anywhere in this area-- the CRISM res is so low.

I want to see "Secular City" next door...

--Bill

--------------------

+Quote Post
dburt
post Feb 2 2013, 07:58 PM
Post #63

Member No.: 1555

QUOTE (Bill Harris @ Jan 31 2013, 06:34 PM) *
44th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference (2013), sess 252
MARS EXPLORATION ROVER: RESULTS FROM ENDEAVOUR CRATER
http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/lpsc2013/pdf/sess252.pdf
--Bill

Thanks much for that link. Some of the abstracts make it appear that the devitrification spherulite idea for "newberries," first debated here on UMSF, is gaining traction. In that regard, I found this abstract, from a different session, interesting also:
http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/lpsc2013/pdf/2064.pdf

It begins with "Blueberries, newberries, and accretionary lapilli..." and describes gray-hematite coated basaltic accretionary lapilli, about 7 mm in diameter, resulting from explosive volcanism in Antarctica, including in basal surge beds that are said to mimic fluvial or eolian beds. For purposes of comparison, keep in mind that martian basalts are probably considerably more iron rich and less silicic than the ones from Antarctica.
-dburt

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post Feb 3 2013, 12:12 AM
Post #64

And thanks for the "Newberries" PDF. That Mt Darwin photo looks almost... Martian. And in keeping with Martian environments, remember that Antarctica wasn't always as it is today.

This will prove to be a great LPSC, with the detailed work at Cape York and the initial work at Gale. And I wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing "hey, I just noticed this at Gusev" from old Spirit data.

The Gifts that Keep on Giving, no?

--Bill

--------------------

+Quote Post
fredk
post Feb 3 2013, 01:24 AM
Post #65

Member No.: 152

QUOTE (ngunn @ Feb 1 2013, 11:45 PM) *
I think that is just an overlay of the Whitewater Lake exposure as seen by the rover on a background Crism image. I don't think this is a Crism image that in itself delineates the smectite exposure in an obvious way. (The overlay has much higher resolution than the background, and much higher resolution than Crism.)

I wondered about that myself. But the text says
Results showed the presence of the two longer wavelength bands... for the locations mapped in Fig. 2
and the Fig 2 caption says
The red area with the smectite signature corresponds to Whitewater Lake outcrops.
Both statements indicate that the red area was determined by the CRISM data rather than ground (or orbital) imagery.

About the resolution, the abstract says the regular resolution is 18 m/px. This seems to correspond to the resolution of most of Fig 2. But the text also describes the oversampled, higher resolution CRISM observations, with 5 m/px resolution. That seems to match pretty well the size of the pixels in the red, smectite patch in Fig 2. So my interpretation is that the red area is the set of pixels with smectite signature from the 5 m/px observations, overlaid on the regular resolution CY CRISM image. We may have to wait for a full paper to come out to know for sure.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Feb 3 2013, 03:29 AM
Post #66

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Not sure about this... to me it looks like the very dark blue background is supposed to be the clay - the largest area being at the south end where older observations placed it and the original reason for going to the south end first. A smaller patch of dark blue under that red patch is the CRISM detection in that area and the red is an overlay of the Whitewater unit as mapped by the rover, showing the spatial match.

But we'll have to wait and see. I will be looking out for this at LPSC.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
fredk
post Feb 3 2013, 06:01 AM
Post #67

Member No.: 152

I think you may be right, Phil. Fig 3 is an average over all the pixels in the red area. It would seem surprizing that there'd be enough S/N in each individual pixel to define the red area that precisely based on the CRISM data.

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post Feb 3 2013, 03:28 PM
Post #68

QUOTE (Bill Harris @ Feb 1 2013, 10:06 PM) *
Could be most anywhere in this area-- the CRISM res is so low.

I want to see "Secular City" next door...

--Bill
And I'd really like to see what is in the region lower down on the Bench to the NE. Stratigraphically lower, older in time, further back into the "warmer wetter" era. Probably more of the impactite/ejectite sequence, but we won't know til we look.

--Bill

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Feb 5 2013, 05:32 PM
Post #69

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 253

There was a quite long drive executed today, sol 3212, placing Opportunity almost at the same site as on sol 3104.
Here's today's navcam mosaic.
Attached Image

And here is the one shot on sol 3104.

+Quote Post
atomoid
post Feb 6 2013, 03:07 AM
Post #70

Member No.: 196

QUOTE (fredk @ Jan 18 2013, 03:39 PM) *
This has got to be a record - pics from sol 882 down today, that's 6 1/2 years ago!
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...2M2.JPG?sol----
That was by Beagle Crater, which a few of the oldtimers may recall was just before Victoria...

catching up on old news here.. remarkably uncanny image!
by chance a recent movie rental stuck in my head makes me i see 'engineer helmet'!
evoking schlock-fodder from the lower left of that old Spirit image! (sorry, but had to.. resistance was futile)

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post Feb 6 2013, 06:13 AM
Post #71

remarkably uncanny image!
I've been meaning to drop into the archives and look at images and notes from that timespot. Seems that I recall that Beagle was post-Victoria ejecta blanket and uncovered interactions between the ejecta and the paleo landsurface. And there were a few odd hillocks observed as we transitioned from the typical Meridiani surface to the weathered/eroded/weathered Victoria ejecta material.

MERs. The gift that keeps on giving.

--Bill

--------------------

+Quote Post
walfy
post Feb 6 2013, 08:12 AM
Post #72

Member No.: 5161

Quite the protruding newberries, really fantastic structures, from sol 3207:

Attached Image

+Quote Post
walfy
post Feb 6 2013, 08:23 AM
Post #73

Member No.: 5161

Another one with more consistent lighting also from Sol 3207. This micro overlaps the previous one I just posted:

Attached Image

+Quote Post
CosmicRocker
post Feb 7 2013, 02:46 AM
Post #74

Member No.: 116

QUOTE (walfy @ Feb 6 2013, 02:12 AM) *
Quite the protruding newberries, really fantastic structures, from sol 3207...
Beautiful, but can we cut with the formalities and just call them newbs? biggrin.gif

--------------------
...Tom

I'm not a Space Fan, I'm a Space Exploration Enthusiast.

+Quote Post
serpens
post Feb 7 2013, 03:51 AM
Post #75

Member No.: 4605

Or newbys?

+Quote Post

11 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th June 2024 - 04:40 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.