ustrax
post Oct 13 2008, 08:44 PM
Post #1

Special Cookie

Group: Members
Member No.: 228

<special cookie warning>

Each roving day as the last.
Beyond the horizon, beyond the border, roving until the last Sol, through lands of wonder, towards unexpected goals. Each roving day as the last.

Beyond the Columbia Hills, island in a sea of basalt, towards the East, lays Terre de Salvaesche, Land of Salvation, where Parzival reached the Grail’s Castle and found the answer for his Quest. Impossible quest…Incredible quest!
Towards a Kingdom where forests of mesas and knobs rule, where, from the North, the hills of Thira announce their protection, glowing in dark red under Mars’ dusk, where sand tides fustigates its beaches, where boulders align along paths that lead no where.
Land of Salvation! Home of the Grail! Receptacle of Answers!
Attached Image

The Land of Salvation…how valuable is it in scientific terms?
Aren’t we seing there, far in the horizon, signs of a past where glaciers imposed they’re presence on Gusev crater? Aren’t we seing there signs of an ancient, majestic, ice kingdom retreating? Aren’t we seing the reliques of a battle between the fiery lava and a mighty frozen kingdom?
This special cookie of yours sees…and dreams, a time where glaciers and volcanoes coexisted, where gentle waves, reflecting a dim sun, danced a silent tune on the surface of kettle lakes.

Just close your eyes for a second, imagine yourself standing in the plains, contemplating that enticing, unknown, territory, imagine, the sound, the light and the landscape in front of you, imagine your inquiring march, dustful step after dustful step, getting closer and closer to the Land’s walls…

The rovers are our eyes on Mars we read…I want to see myself standing in the plains, contemplating that enticing, unknown, territory.
Just close your eyes for a second, for the time you which, and imagine, the sound, the light and the landscape, in front of you.

You, Counts of Engineering, Barons of Algorithms, Dukes of Geology, fan the flames of the bonfire with your words of Impossibility!
Give me distances! Give me the cold truth about the Spirit! But give me also what could we earn from this quest... smile.gif

An aging, crippled rover, a too vast desert to cross…
An aging, crippled rover, is for now dreaming, listening to a distant murmur in the mute vastness of Gusev:…”Ride, boldly ride”…

Land of Salvation, unreachable they say… rolleyes.gif

Recommended reading: Wolfram von Eschenbach's Parzival
Recommended soundtrack: Richard Wagner's Parsifal

--------------------
"Ride, boldly ride," The shade replied, "If you seek for Eldorado!"
Edgar Alan Poe
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
BrianL
post Oct 22 2008, 03:00 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 721

And this in from the Mars colony...

A crowd estimated at around 1000 was on hand at Ma'adim Vallis today to welcome the arrival of the intrepid rover Spirit, launched decades ago. Blind without any cameras, with one working wheel dragging it slowly along as the now famous Repeat Ad Infinitum drive command sent just before contact was lost executed in its memory banks, the rover rolled into the throng until its progress was halted by a sushi cart. Never one to miss a photo opportunity, Colony Constable Ellison presented the rover with a ticket for driving without a license, and failure to maintain the posted minimum speed. biggrin.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- ustrax   Land of Salvation   Oct 13 2008, 08:44 PM
- - Phil Stooke   I think that the hilly area at the south end of th...   Oct 13 2008, 09:18 PM
- - Shaka   Son of Magellan, we hear.   Oct 13 2008, 09:24 PM
|- - ustrax   Shaka...give me charts and beacons to misplace...   Oct 13 2008, 10:05 PM
- - nprev   Ultreya, my friend...the horizon is not there to b...   Oct 13 2008, 09:49 PM
- - Shaka   That's no "pit"; that's an abyss...   Oct 15 2008, 06:50 AM
- - BrianL   A noble goal, I vote yea (knowing full well I don...   Oct 15 2008, 06:32 PM
- - stevesliva   I propose we rename it the Land of Salivation.   Oct 15 2008, 06:59 PM
|- - ustrax   QUOTE (stevesliva @ Oct 15 2008, 07:59 PM...   Oct 15 2008, 07:34 PM
|- - djellison   QUOTE (ustrax @ Oct 15 2008, 08:34 PM) wh...   Oct 15 2008, 07:48 PM
|- - ustrax   Doug, I believe I didn't expressed myself corr...   Oct 15 2008, 08:44 PM
|- - Hungry4info   The Spirit rover is crying... Asking a dying ro...   Oct 16 2008, 12:17 AM
|- - BrianL   QUOTE (Hungry4info @ Oct 15 2008, 06:17 P...   Oct 16 2008, 12:47 AM
- - nprev   Sometimes what kills me is that the journeys of th...   Oct 16 2008, 01:01 AM
- - Stu   I know what you mean. I've put my thoughts on ...   Oct 16 2008, 08:08 AM
|- - ustrax   Here's the line...utter craziness...in a strai...   Oct 16 2008, 08:49 AM
|- - nprev   QUOTE (Stu @ Oct 16 2008, 12:08 AM) I kno...   Oct 16 2008, 10:04 PM
- - climber   Thanks Rui to believe in this new "endeavour...   Oct 16 2008, 06:02 PM
|- - ustrax   climber, I didn't say I believed in it... It w...   Oct 16 2008, 06:12 PM
- - CosmicRocker   I was going to suggest that it might be more produ...   Oct 18 2008, 04:25 AM
|- - Marz   The Promised Land looks really tempting, and wasn...   Oct 18 2008, 05:38 AM
- - imipak   QUOTE (Marz @ Oct 18 2008, 06:38 AM) I...   Oct 18 2008, 03:17 PM
- - Phil Stooke   How about this for a hypothesis? The area south o...   Oct 21 2008, 12:20 PM
|- - ustrax   So Phil...where to? What do you consider to be ...   Oct 21 2008, 01:13 PM
- - Phil Stooke   I would look at von Braun and Goddard. Then acros...   Oct 21 2008, 01:24 PM
|- - ustrax   No no no...I was speaking after that... I have n...   Oct 21 2008, 01:31 PM
- - BrianL   I think the big crater along your path is a worthw...   Oct 21 2008, 02:36 PM
- - YesRushGen   Aw, c'mon ustrax, don't sell yourself shor...   Oct 21 2008, 04:58 PM
|- - ustrax   Kelly...I believe it is not the first occasion dur...   Oct 21 2008, 10:13 PM
- - BrianL   And this in from the Mars colony... A crowd estim...   Oct 22 2008, 03:00 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 10:24 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.