IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Save the Launch Pad 39 A Bricks !, If These Walls Could Talk, They'd Say 'Save Me!'
mars loon
post Jun 30 2008, 02:12 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 212

If These Walls Could Talk, They'd Say 'Save Me!'
by Robert Pearlman
Discovery Channel

Lets not throw away History !
This seems to me to be a very worthy cause. ken

link here:
http://dsc.discovery.com/space/my-take/nas...t-pearlman.html

first few paragraphs:

The scoop: The scorched bricks beneath Launch Pad 39A at Kennedy Space Center have witnessed decades of spaceflight history. But after a recent space shuttle launch blew thousands of them from the pad, NASA intends to throw these pieces of history away.

If the brick walls beneath Kennedy Space Center's Launch Pad 39A could talk, they might recount the stories of some of NASA's most historic missions over the past 50 years. But part of them may soon be lost forever.

Thirty-nine years ago this July, a Saturn V rocket blasted off from Pad 39A, sending a crew of three men on their way toward the first manned lunar landing.

The powerful exhaust from the 363-foot booster had to be tamed or else risk destroying the pad. So in 1965, when NASA engineers designed 39A, they built the aptly titled "flame trench" -- a 500-foot-long-by-60-foot-wide-by-four-story-deep tunnel to safely deflect the searing flames and smoke away from launch vehicle and the pad. .....
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
tasp
post Jun 30 2008, 02:22 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 162

Must be some pretty sturdy bricks.

I would imagine most ordinary bricks being blasted 1/2 a mile at Mach 2 would be pulverized. NASA footage showed many chunks and apparently intact ones too.

Not sure what would have been worse about standing there. The 4000 degree searing blast, or getting clocked in the face with a brick.

(Note: I have always been fascinated with material science, and these bricks are interesting. Think of the HCl damage from the SRBs these things have been thru in addition to the shockwaves!)

huh.gif

+Quote Post
jmjawors
post Jun 30 2008, 03:35 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 1376

I've seen this brought up elsewhere and it was shot down pretty quickly. Apparently they are full of/coated with all kinds of stuff that you wouldn't want to be next to. I've heard talk of asbestos too, though I'm not sure that's accurate.

--------------------
- Matt

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jun 30 2008, 11:16 AM
Post #4

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

If they contain hazmat, then it's game over for them for sure. Federal agencies don't play around even a little with that stuff these days...too much potential legal liability.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jun 30 2008, 01:09 PM
Post #5

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Quite - the sub-headline should be " If these walls could talk, they'd say 'Aluminum Perchlorate' "

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Jun 30 2008, 01:10 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 523

With what those walls went through, somehow I imagine a better title would have been "If These Walls Could Scream..."

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 10:06 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.