Closed TopicStart new topic
Dawn approaches Vesta, Approach phase, 3 May to 16 July 2011
Stu
post Jul 5 2011, 07:30 PM
Post #316

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

I have the same concerns, Mike. I have quite a few Outreach talks and events lined up, one at the end of the week, and I'm worried about the lack of images. I'm also lending my meteorite collection to my local Museum soon, and want to create a Vesta display to go around my little piece of Eucrite meteorite.

This lack of images is at best disappointing and frustrating, and at worst, well... embarrassing. unsure.gif

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
vikingmars
post Jul 6 2011, 08:46 AM
Post #317

Group: Members
Member No.: 172

QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Jul 5 2011, 09:05 PM) *
...a photo or two from Viking

huh.gif Not just one or two : they were tens of pics releases from the Vikings (orbiters & landers) weekly from JPL and Langley to the Press during their Primary missions. The Press -unable to publish them all- had to make a selection : this is why you saw less pics than the ones released officially...
=> It's a pity that Dawn seems not to have reached yet the same level of Public Outreach that was the norm in 1976...

+Quote Post
climber
post Jul 6 2011, 09:45 AM
Post #318

Member No.: 682

There is an article on "Ciel & Espace" July release including a picture of Vesta... from Hubble.
Christopher Russell (from Dawn) comment that "they" feel been as Colombus getting closer and closer to a new world. It is exactely how I feel myself: a few people "on" the ship while the entire world is waiting!
We're back to 15th century Olivier, not even to 35 years ago wink.gif
I've been watching all the firts approach phases of Jupiter, Saturn, and Uranus on the press and I even get from France specialy to Pasadena to watch Voyager II Neptune fly by. Feeling "been there" is what I'm looking for. I guess it's time for Nasa to make pictures releases mendatory in their AO's.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_Sunspot_*
post Jul 6 2011, 12:24 PM
Post #319

Guests

My feeling is that the science team want a grand "unveiling" of Vesta to the media and public. And while the few images we have had so far might be intriguing to people on here and other forums, they may not generate much interest from the general public or media - or even worse people may think they are just not that good and up with negative criticism huh.gif Then there's the short attention span - I think when Spirit landed they lost interest before it had even driven off the lander - until the memory problem of course rolleyes.gif

Not long to wait anyway!!!!!

+Quote Post
Astro0
post Jul 6 2011, 01:32 PM
Post #320

Group: Admin
Member No.: 615

I must say that I didn't experience any public loss of interest in Spirit after landing and up till the Flash memory issue.
For me, it was 5 months before interest started to die down (and even then it's lingered for 7.5years). In the early months I was hardly at home - busy doing talks and media.
The pictures were outstanding from the MERs (the Rovers also 'looked' cute/cool) and THAT's what got the public so caught up in them.

I wish we could have the same with Dawn and Vesta. I do think that it's a different world now though.
What's changed is that there is a new army out there of Outreach ambassadors working at their own level to a local or regional audience (some go wider through media) who have the experience and banter to turn even (what may seem to some) the most basic of images and information into a story, a presentation, that captures the interest and ongoing attention of their audience.
If done well, then that effort gets an otherwise uninterested or uninformed public to take an interest and to take a look at what's going on either regularly or at least occasionally, rather than not at all.

While we at UMSF have had it so good for so long and wish for new images to be available for us to work/play with, in this instance we will just have to wait.
I think that the wait will be worthwhile smile.gif Even with the current images (both official and UMSFified) there is still a story to tell.

Let's give credit to the DAWN mission, especially for the personal Q&A they are allowing our Forum audience to enjoy.

I do think that this discussion is being noticed and that with the public (us included) showing our interest in all things robotic space exploration, then we might one day see 'fast/often image releases' become the future standard. Until then, we wait and look a MER and Cassini images and support Zooniverse exploration etc.

If you're doing Outreach talks don't forget that you can 'show' your audience the entire "Dawn Approaches Vesta" phase in excellent 'virtual' context through Eyes on the Solar System smile.gif
"Look, it's getting closer!" smile.gif
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Norm Hartnett
post Jul 6 2011, 03:54 PM
Post #321

Member No.: 1354

pablogm1024 said here http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...=6998&st=15 that they were taking OpNav images about twice a week which means that there have been about three or four OpNav image sets taken since that June 24 image. ph34r.gif

+Quote Post
Bunker9603
post Jul 6 2011, 07:48 PM
Post #322

Member No.: 3937

Dawn is almost 100,000km closer than it was on June 24th when the last image was taken. When they get around to posting again there should be a lot more detail. I thought we would get at least one new image a week by now and maybe even two, instead the last image posted was from two weeks ago...very disapointing

+Quote Post
bagelverse
post Jul 6 2011, 09:00 PM
Post #323

Member No.: 5509

Hopefully there will be another post by Friday, as happened last week.

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Jul 6 2011, 10:33 PM
Post #324

Member No.: 530

NASA News article -- moon search
http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/scien...6jul_vestamoon/

+Quote Post
Bunker9603
post Jul 7 2011, 03:04 PM
Post #325

Member No.: 3937

Another image has been posted on the DAWN site.

From July 1, 2011:

http://dawn.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedia/dawn_v...mage_070111.asp

Awesome!

+Quote Post
Decepticon
post Jul 7 2011, 03:12 PM
Post #326

Member No.: 114

OMG blink.gif

Stunning!

My take on it...

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jul 7 2011, 03:14 PM
Post #327

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Awesome indeed! That's quite a central peak... my impression is that we are approaching on a path that brings us under the south pole, so the view into the basin is opening up wider with each image.

Also... there's a clear boundary between smoother and rougher areas, which (with hindsight) is also visible in the previous image, and looks like it coincides with an albedo boundary... and the big south polar basin is flattened rather than concave, probably because it formed on a body whose radius is about the same as the basin itself (think south polar depression on Deimos) - the walls would form on a part of the body which isn't there as the surface curves away from the impact point.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Stu
post Jul 7 2011, 04:19 PM
Post #328

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

Noisy, I know, and probably enhancing already-existing crud and not claiming any usefulness... but... wow...!!!

Attached Image

ohmy.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Jul 7 2011, 04:30 PM
Post #329

Member No.: 530

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Jul 7 2011, 11:14 AM) *
Awesome indeed! That's quite a central peak...
... and the big south polar basin is flattened rather than concave, probably because it formed on a body whose radius is about the same as the basin itself (think south polar depression on Deimos) - the walls would form on a part of the body which isn't there as the surface curves away from the impact point.

http://www.lpl.arizona.edu/~shane/PTYS_554...ug_grl_2011.pdf
http://planetary.org/blog/article/00002906/

Looking prescient.

+Quote Post
Fran Ontanaya
post Jul 7 2011, 04:52 PM
Post #330

Member No.: 4350

It looks a bit like Epimetheus' South pole.

+Quote Post

29 Pages V  « < 20 21 22 23 24 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:23 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.