Kepler Mission
nprev
post Jan 4 2010, 01:55 AM
Post #406

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Article titled "The Big Reveal"? huh.gif

I dunno, man. I've personally framed Kepler's primary science return as a statistical sampling that'll give us a degree of insight into the frequency of occurrence of planetary systems (within some major constraints such as orbital plane alignment with Earth & relatively small orbital radii for observed objects, of course.) That's gonna take time.

This might be a cool one-off early discovery of some sort...but I hope the team isn't setting itself up for later PR problems by elevating expectations beyond what is reasonable & prudent. We've seen that happen before.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Hungry4info
post Jan 4 2010, 02:09 PM
Post #407

Group: Members
Member No.: 4270

Five new exoplanets. 4 are larger than Jupiter. 1 is Neptune-sized. The relevant presentation just ended. 100 candidate planets in Kepler data so far. Thousands of candidate variable stars. Sub-stellar sized stars were expected to be prohibitively variable, but it didn't turn out to be that bad. Exoplanet sizes: 4 R_e, 15 R_e, 17 R_e, 19 R_e.

Kepler naming scheme.
4b, 5b, 6b 7b, 8b.
(3 planets alreay in field, so it's respect to those scientists).

Kepler-8 b Rossiter-McLaughlin effect measured. Prograde.
Kepler-4 b -> The Neptune.
Kepler-7 b very low density planet.

http://www.starstryder.com/2010/01/04/kepler-first-science/ We're told to expect something on arXiv.

--------------------
-- Hungry4info (Sirius_Alpha)

+Quote Post
NGC3314
post Jan 4 2010, 05:12 PM
Post #408

Member No.: 3958

Live blog from AAS: hot Jupiters and hot but icy giants, plus more than one case of a "planet" that has to be hotter than its star (and which doesn't fit as either a degenerate or main-sequence star). Sounds of discovery: "Hmm - that's funny...

+Quote Post
Greg Hullender
post Jan 4 2010, 05:14 PM
Post #409

Member No.: 590

Nice link. Interesting how much that person looks like you. :-) [You meaning Hungry, not NGC]

I'll be interested to hear what they make of the super hot Jupiters -- the ones significantly brighter than the stars they orbit. Deuterium burning was my first thought, but I thought I read that that phase doesn't last very long.

--Greg

+Quote Post
Guest_Zvezdichko_*
post Jan 4 2010, 06:05 PM
Post #410

Guests

http://kepler.nasa.gov/Mission/tableofdiscoveries/

A very useful table.

Just look at the orbital period - all planets have orbital periods between 3 and 4 days. And the surface temperature is very high smile.gif

EDIT : Another link! http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/kepler/n...exoplanets.html

+Quote Post
Syrinx
post Jan 4 2010, 06:25 PM
Post #411

Member No.: 4168

Slides:

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/kepler/m...conference.html

+Quote Post
Syrinx
post Jan 4 2010, 06:48 PM
Post #412

Check out this slide:

http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/414914m...discoveries.jpg

It puts the newly discovered planets in a familiar context.

It says all five planets were discovered from the first 43 days of data. Kepler has been observing for, what, 300 days at this point?

Also, irks me that it pins "habitable" as requiring the same orbital distance as Earth. An orbital distance of 1 AU is neither necessary nor sufficient for habitability. We'll find plenty of non-habitable planets at 1 AU, and we'll also find plenty of habitable planets outside 1 AU.

+Quote Post
Guest_Zvezdichko_*
post Jan 4 2010, 07:27 PM
Post #413

Guests

With no fear of being a false prophet - I predict that this data will be analyzed for several decades at least.

+Quote Post
remcook
post Jan 4 2010, 08:30 PM
Post #414

Rover Driver

Member No.: 47

"It says all five planets were discovered from the first 43 days of data. Kepler has been observing for, what, 300 days at this point?"

It's the confirmation by ground-based radial velocity measurements that takes most of the time.

+Quote Post
Stu
post Jan 4 2010, 10:12 PM
Post #415

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

Liking those slides. Very high quality.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Syrinx
post Jan 4 2010, 10:20 PM
Post #416

QUOTE (remcook @ Jan 4 2010, 12:30 PM) *
It's the confirmation by ground-based radial velocity measurements that takes most of the time.

Rightfully so. I should have been more clear. My comment was intended to note that the discoveries presented today are just the first bushel load from a fruit tree ripe for the plucking.

+Quote Post
infocat13
post Jan 5 2010, 01:23 AM
Post #417

Member No.: 479

QUOTE (Greg Hullender @ Jan 4 2010, 01:14 PM) *
Nice link. Interesting how much that person looks like you. :-) [You meaning Hungry, not NGC]

I'll be interested to hear what they make of the super hot Jupiters -- the ones significantly brighter than the stars they orbit. Deuterium burning was my first thought, but I thought I read that that phase doesn't last very long.

--Greg

its my understanding that first discovery will be planets close in.perhaps super Jupiter's with exomoons close in towards there red dwarf primary's might be next.lastly planets with orbital periods of one year or more might become known to us near the end of mission.

edit
ooops was trying to quote Zvezdichko post from the previous page

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Jan 5 2010, 06:09 AM
Post #418

Member No.: 1004

There are lots of Kepler-related papers on ArXiv today
http://arxiv.org/list/astro-ph.EP/recent

+Quote Post
Syrinx
post Jan 5 2010, 07:49 PM
Post #419

Thank you for the link Paolo. There goes the rest of my day smile.gif.

"The Kepler Follow-up Observation Program"

http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/arxiv/pdf/1001/1001.0352v1.pdf

CODE
Total KOIs 177 From targets mkepler <= 15 in quarters 0 and 1

Type                          Number
Planet                        5                 Good rv orbit matches light curve.
Possible planet               52                Radial velocity variation is small enough for a planetary mass companion.
Recon                         65                Still under reconnaissance. No type assigned.
Double lined spectrum         5
Stellar companion             8                 RV variations indicate a stellar mass companion.
Triple system                 1                 Transit source is in a triple (or greater) system.
Background eclipsing binary   11
Fast rotator                  13                Star is rotating too fast for very precise velocities.
Withdrawn                     14                Withdrawn by TCERT after re-examination of light curve
Unsuitable                    3                 Featureless spectrum unsuitable for RV work or no star apparent at target location

Quarters 0 and 1 must be the first 43 days of returned data.

+Quote Post
maschnitz
post Jan 5 2010, 09:09 PM
Post #420

Member No.: 4520

Yeah, definitely some fascinating reading in here. Thanks Paolo.

Q0/Q1 is defined as "Q0 consisting of 9.7 days of data taken during commissioning and Q1 consisting of 33.5 days of data taken before the first quarterly roll of the spacecraft" in this summary paper:
http://arxiv.org/abs/1001.0268

Good overview on oscillating, pulsating, and eclipsing stars in that one too.

Another interesting paper is the one where they model the star as a triaxial ellipsoid shape (think "like Haumea") in order to nail down the light curve better:
http://arxiv.org/abs/1001.0413

+Quote Post

85 Pages V  « < 26 27 28 29 30 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th April 2024 - 09:52 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.