11 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Pluto Surface Observations 3: NH Post-Encounter Phase, 1 Feb 2016- TBD
john_s
post Jul 29 2016, 08:56 PM
Post #76

Group: Members
Member No.: 117

Emily's new "What's Up in the Solar System" blog has some updates from Kim Ennico and myself. Bottom line: downlink will probably complete in late October or early November. Because downlink was prioritized, most of the highest-priority stuff is already on the ground.

John
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Alan Stern
post Jul 30 2016, 09:27 AM
Post #77

Member No.: 173

QUOTE (alan @ Jul 29 2016, 07:28 PM) *
I haven't caught a recent update on the progress of the download of the encounter data. Has it been completed?

The encounter download still has a ways to go. We estimate finishing about 1 November, the main uncertainty in an exact date is DSN scheduling. Currently the downlink is dominated by instrument calibration data that will improve our ability to reduce the data already on the ground. About 15% of the Pluto system data, primarily data from Ralph and LORRI, still remain to be sent after that.

+Quote Post
Herobrine
post Aug 2 2016, 09:29 PM
Post #78

Member No.: 7408

After acknowledging that the last thing I'd played with could probably have been completed many hundreds of hours faster if I'd bothered to work with SPICE kernels, I decided to write some handling of SPICE kernel data into my coding environment and play around with it. I implemented the Owen & O'Connell Distortion Model for LORRI, described in the instrument kernel so I can go back and forth between pixel coordinates and camera frame vectors and played around with seeing what that and the other SPICE kernels allowed me to do. I tried reproducing that spirally approach animation without any manual work and I got a half decent result. The one I created by spending hundreds of hours aligning stuff by hand wasn't nearly as shaky, so perhaps it wasn't all time wasted.
I don't know what exactly I'll do, now that I have J2000 position and orientation data for New Horizons, LORRI, Pluto, and Charon at the time of each LORRI observation, but here's something I've been working on using it.
I've used the data and the camera model to orient and roughly align the LORRI frames (and their pixels) in J2000 on Pluto, sampled based on distance, such that Pluto shows up the same size in each frame, and after a bunch of manual combining and fine-tuning of image position, here's a little animation of a full rotation of Pluto, as seen by LORRI, played at 150,000 times actual speed:
Attached Image
It uses 31 sets of LORRI observations (each frame combines multiple LORRI frames from the same...observation set or whatever you call it; the last 5 frames are actually mosaics), whittled down from 42 since some were very close in time to others. The original size of this animation had Pluto 1024 pixels in diameter, but I've shrunk it to less than 200 to bring the file size under what the forum can take. It looks better smaller anyway, because the difference in quality from the earliest to the latest frame isn't quite as visible. If it looks like Pluto wanders a little for 1/3 of this, it's because I slowly shifted the frames over in this version to make the last frame and first frame line up better (the last frame was taken from very close to Pluto and the change in perspective between that and the first frame is significant).

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Aug 2 2016, 11:24 PM
Post #79

Member No.: 5221

Great work Herobrine, and fascinating! Could the same be done with Charon?

We can almost extrapolate from the hemisphere we've seen to the far side hemisphere. The dark equatorial regions are pretty much the same, and that prominent crater on the far side might be a mini-version of SP? Hard to tell since its b/w.
It will certainly be a long time before any artistic speculation can be verified, though I'm willing to wait. wink.gif

+Quote Post
atomoid
post Aug 3 2016, 03:43 AM
Post #80

Member No.: 196

very cool indeed! reminds me of recent NYT spinnable globes page it even includes a version of Charon with starch wreck names! i didn't see linked on these pages, so there it is..

+Quote Post
Roman Tkachenko
post Sep 4 2016, 12:26 PM
Post #81

Member No.: 7822

This processed image reveals new details on Sputnik Planum.
The scattering map https://www.nasa.gov/image-feature/intricat...-sputnik-planum inspired me some time ago to create something similar.

UPD: Animation

--------------------

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Sep 7 2016, 03:25 AM
Post #82

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Group: Admin
Member No.: 33

Excellent work! wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Roman Tkachenko
post Sep 22 2016, 11:39 AM
Post #83

A synthetic perspective view of Pluto

--------------------

+Quote Post
Roman Tkachenko
post Nov 22 2016, 01:26 AM
Post #84

New combined image reveals mysterious topography beyond Pluto's terminator.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Nov 22 2016, 01:34 AM
Post #85

Member No.: 5221

Amazing work Roman!

A pity Charon's night side image is such low resolution so we can't really do the same thing: https://www.nasa.gov/image-feature/charon-s-night-side
Is that blob on the 4:00 position of the disc even real? Perhaps an extension of the canyon on the lit side?

+Quote Post
vikingmars
post Nov 22 2016, 08:51 AM
Post #86

Member No.: 172

QUOTE (Roman Tkachenko @ Nov 22 2016, 02:26 AM) *
New combined image reveals mysterious topography beyond Pluto's terminator.

How NICE Roman ! What a GREAT work you did ! ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif
This was the interpretation I made a while ago for our TPS members in France to enhance the astounding diversity of the geological features found on this small world (reduced format to fit the Forum limitations).
And also as a tribute to the success of this incredible mission, thanks to the NH Team wink.gif
Enjoy ! smile.gif
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Spock1108
post Nov 22 2016, 12:23 PM
Post #87

Member No.: 7840

Roman Congratulations! A resolution masterpiece! I love your elaboration, is much better than the NASA's official ones!

Why do not you make a version with natural colors?

+Quote Post
Greg Malone
post Nov 22 2016, 08:22 PM
Post #88

Member No.: 8064

Oh man, what an excellent processed image. Thanks!

If there is, by chance, a larger version of this, perhaps you could post it, or a link to it? Perhaps a gigantic lossless version?

Very nice.

--------------------

------------
Greg Malone
https://gregmalone.me

+Quote Post
Roman Tkachenko
post Nov 22 2016, 11:17 PM
Post #89

Is that blob on the 4:00 position of the disc even real? Perhaps an extension of the canyon on the lit side?

I'm not sure about this.

How NICE Roman ! What a GREAT work you did ! ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

Thank you!

Why do not you make a version with natural colors?

Here is my attempt to colorize this image (https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/th...lease_small.png) in natural colors.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9BbN4IH2l...iew?usp=sharing
And here is my attempt to colorize my combined image.
Anyway, these images are not in natural colors if you ask me.....near-natural colors.

If there is, by chance, a larger version of this, perhaps you could post it, or a link to it? Perhaps a gigantic lossless version?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Roman Tkachenko
post Nov 22 2016, 11:27 PM
Post #90

Another combined image.
Colorized using MVIC data.

--------------------

+Quote Post

11 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 06:55 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.