Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Video of meteor hitting Earth
ilbasso
post Feb 20 2008, 02:20 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 103

Surveillance camera video of what appears to be a meteor slamming into the ground, in eastern Washington state -
CNN meteor footage

--------------------
Jonathan Ward
Manning the LCC at http://www.apollolaunchcontrol.com
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Feb 20 2008, 02:41 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 523

Slamming into the ground? I'm not convinced the actual impact is seen. Even if it is, that appears to be many kilometers away.

--------------------

+Quote Post
djellison
post Feb 20 2008, 02:43 PM
Post #3

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Yup - really doesn't look like an impact to me - maybe it did impact, but you can't tell from that footage (cool though it is)

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Feb 20 2008, 03:15 PM
Post #4

Group: Admin
Member No.: 197

With the different camera angles it wouldn't be too hard to estimate a likely impact location, if it did indeed impact. Eastern Washington has some very remote areas. It is possible that a steaming crater could be out there somewhere that no one has stumbled across yet.

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Feb 20 2008, 03:24 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 542

If anything landed with cosmic velocity I think we'd have seismic confirmation by now. It looks to me like an airburst which may or may not have dropped solid fragments slowed to some terminal aerial velocity before impact.

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Feb 20 2008, 03:33 PM
Post #6

The thing is, the object didn't necessarily need to be that large at all to produce a flash like that. These are night shots and the exposures are adjusted for darkness so it might not have been as bright as it appears from the footage. Noticeably bright, no doubt, but probably not turning-night-into-day bright.

As an out-of-thin-air estimate, I'd say the meteorite was on the order of a golf ball at most. If so, that low(?) airburst might have shattered it into too small pieces (dust?) to produce a crater. Alternatively, it might not have been low at all, just rather distant.

Here's some of that footage but in better quality and slow-mo: http://www.spokesmanreview.com/media/video/?ID=1559

--------------------

+Quote Post
ilbasso
post Feb 20 2008, 03:46 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 103

Interesting that even at its brightest, it did not cast a shadow in that footage from Idaho.

--------------------
Jonathan Ward
Manning the LCC at http://www.apollolaunchcontrol.com

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Feb 20 2008, 03:49 PM
Post #8

As I said, it's easy to blind cameras tuned for night vision with moderate light levels. If the flash were really bright enough to cast shadows in the foreground, I suspect the entire image would be whited-out because the flash was in the FOV. Instead, we just see a brightening in the sky. From that alone, this looks like a somewhat brighter meteor fireball to me (think Perseids or Leonids).

--------------------

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Feb 20 2008, 04:35 PM
Post #9

Just for fun I went to Google Earth and examined Gowen Field in Boise to see if I could find this camera location. I think it's on a pole next to the street. The building on the right has a red roof. 43* 33' 32.98" N 116* 1313' 51.76" W

If this is the correct spot then the point of "impact" if there was one, would have (very roughly) been along a line from Boise to the NNW that passes East of Kennewick, WA, and West of Spokane, WA. All very remote mountainous and forested areas. Now if I could only figure out which way that other camera was pointing.....

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_Bobby_*
post Feb 20 2008, 05:05 PM
Post #10

Guests

I live in Western Washington and I have driven through Adams County in Eastern Washington.
Sources like Fox News is reporting that it hit within Adams county.

It is a very isolated area with a population about 17,000 people. It's land area is about
1,930 Square Miles or 4,999 km of which only 5 square miles is water.

From what I seen of the area it has very little trees and is a desert looking place. Any impact
from the air should be very visible.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Feb 20 2008, 05:40 PM
Post #11

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

iirc, Boise is where MER chute drop tests were done isn't it.

Doug

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Feb 20 2008, 07:15 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (Bobby @ Feb 20 2008, 09:05 AM) *
I live in Western Washington and I have driven through Adams County in Eastern Washington.
Sources like Fox News is reporting that it hit within Adams county.

Wow, that means my predicted path was right on. Thanks for that Bobby, that made my day.

QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Feb 20 2008, 08:35 AM) *
If this is the correct spot then the point of "impact" if there was one, would have (very roughly) been along a line from Boise to the NNW that passes East of Kennewick, WA, and West of Spokane, WA. All very remote mountainous and forested areas.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Vultur
post Sep 13 2008, 01:24 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 4334

It would be useful to know what the camera's sensitivity to light was. Even ordinary bolides/fireballs can be pretty bright to a dark-adapted eye...

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Sep 13 2008, 05:23 PM
Post #14

Guests

Check: http://www.imo.net/

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 02:52 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.