And the HiRISE release http://www.uahirise.org/ESP_039308_1915
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
pgrindrod
post Jan 16 2015, 01:35 PM
Post #17

Group: Members
Member No.: 2873

In case anybody can do anything good with them, I made a stereo HiRISE digital terrain model of the possible Beagle 2 site.

Snapshot (with candidate locations marked):

Attached Image

Full-resolution DTM and orthoimage geotiffs: link (500 mb .zip)

It’s not of a very high quality because of a slightly dusty observation (I think, so low contrast for stereo matching), so there isn't really too much topographic detail in it up close.

From HiRISE stereo overlap (not proper pair, hence narrow) ESP_030908_1915 and ESP_037145_1915

+Quote Post
robspace54b
post Jan 16 2015, 01:59 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 5989

From the tiny images released today (16 Jan 2015) it does appear that only two of the solar panels deployed. The UHF antenna was a strip antenna and mounted on the underside of the s/c lid. If the last two solar panels panels did not deploy, then antenna would be totally covered. The info graphic I posted shows solar cells on the lid itself, which is not correct.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
robspace54b
post Jan 16 2015, 02:11 PM
Post #19

Here are a couple more Beagle2 photos showing the UHF antenna (yellow square)
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jan 16 2015, 04:00 PM
Post #20

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Long before UMSF, there was a Beagle 2 Yahoo group I formed - just as a clearing house for info about a mission that was to be controlled just a few miles from where I lived at the time.

Frankly - MER was barely on my radar. When we never heard from Beagle...I was so disappointed - gutted beyond words. I'd even popped a good luck Christmas card under the door of Mission Control the night of landing.

To now know that it made it all the way to the ground is just astonishing. I was skeptical it had made it that far - especially with the absence of a parachute in MOC imagery ( turns out a MOC image in '04 was right over that spot...but the downlink got corrupted )

Without Beagle - there would have been no UMSF, and I wouldn't have ended up where I am today.

Wherever you are, Prof Pillinger..... thank you. You can be damned proud of what Britain did back in 2003.

+Quote Post
Ian R
post Jan 16 2015, 05:29 PM
Post #21

Lord Of The Uranian Rings

Member No.: 437

Very well said, Doug.

--------------------

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Jan 16 2015, 05:30 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 15

I would just like to express my mix of emotions, here. Extreme wonder and pride that the little Beagle that could, actually did. Intense frustration that a single petal deploy failure led to loss of mission. And deep and profound sadness that Dr. Pillinger did not live to see this day.

At least one thing that has changed my life came of it, even if the mission failed -- that it led to Doug creating this wonderful home-away-from-home for myself and all of my good friends here at UMSF.

Godspeed, Beagle 2.

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
robspace54b
post Jan 16 2015, 06:27 PM
Post #23

QUOTE (djellison @ Jan 16 2015, 11:00 AM) *
Long before UMSF, there was a Beagle 2 Yahoo group I formed - just as a clearing house for info about a mission that was to be controlled just a few miles from where I lived at the time.

Frankly - MER was barely on my radar. When we never heard from Beagle...I was so disappointed - gutted beyond words. I'd even popped a good luck Christmas card under the door of Mission Control the night of landing.

To now know that it made it all the way to the ground is just astonishing. I was skeptical it had made it that far - especially with the absence of a parachute in MOC imagery ( turns out a MOC image in '04 was right over that spot...but the downlink got corrupted )

Without Beagle - there would have been no UMSF, and I wouldn't have ended up where I am today.

Wherever you are, Prof Pillinger..... thank you. You can be damned proud of what Britain did back in 2003.

Hear, hear! Bravo for the brave souls who work so hard on these projects and as my friend put (for he is in the industry): "One failure and we close the lab."

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jan 16 2015, 06:35 PM
Post #24

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Deeply gratifying to see it on the surface. Also, of course, important beyond words for the future to see what worked and what didn't; that's how we learn and move forward.

Well done, Beagle 2 team, and well done, HiRISE team!!! smile.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
pgrindrod
post Jan 16 2015, 06:44 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 2873

I wasn't involved in Beagle 2, but I was doing my PhD in the UK at the time, and watched my friend lose their job on Christmas day. So for that, and many other reasons, today has been good.

So, I've always wondered if this trick could actually be useful for anything...I think that the left-most object might fall in an overlap between HiRISE CCDs. Could the overlap be used for anything? Noise reduction? As an extra image for super-resolution (so 4 instead of 3)?

My (badly-calibrated, hence checker-board effect) non map-projected rush job of RED1 and RED2 of ESP_037145_1915 as an example. The individual CCD images are in the EDR products page.

Attached Image

EDIT: I've stuck all my context images up here in case anybody wants to use them for talks etc.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jan 16 2015, 07:18 PM
Post #26

Founder

So if we've got it on R1 and R2 from 037145, one red from another observation, plus the three colors ( IR, R and bG ) from the color catch... we sort of have 6 images of it.

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Jan 16 2015, 08:43 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (djellison @ Jan 16 2015, 09:00 AM) *
turns out a MOC image in '04 was right over that spot...

Is there any MOC coverage of this spot before the Beagle 2 landing? If it's close to the center of the ellipse I'd think there would be, and it would be useful to prove that the features are new.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jan 16 2015, 09:18 PM
Post #28

Founder

I don't think so.... if the Google Earth MOC layer is exhaustive and the ASU Global data search is similar exhaustive - it's definitely a no. http://viewer.mars.asu.edu/planetview/inst...1300632&T=2 got close - but http://viewer.mars.asu.edu/planetview/inst...2100301&T=2 is the only MOC NA image over the site - that that's corrupt and 9 months post landing

+Quote Post
xflare
post Jan 16 2015, 09:33 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 84

There is also a white spot above the location of Beagle 2...any thoughts on what that might have been?

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Jan 16 2015, 09:42 PM
Post #30

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

I was wondering about that, too. It's only really visible in the most recent image.

Also, my eye wants me to believe that there's something flapping around near the location of the backshell. I'm curious to hear others' opinions.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:51 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.