29 Pages V  « < 26 27 28 29 >  
Closed TopicStart new topic
Dawn Survey Orbit Phase, First orbital phase
antipode
post Aug 25 2011, 11:43 PM
Post #406

Group: Members
Member No.: 1206

The 'central mound' itself looks pretty complex. To me it looks like is slumped internally, almost as if magma chamber pressure has been withdrawn (caldera like). Im NOT suggesting that this is a caldera BTW ph34r.gif

P
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MarcF
post Aug 26 2011, 01:31 PM
Post #407

Member No.: 773

I just bought the French journal "Ciel et Espace" of September. There is an article about Dawn at Vesta. In a picture legend they say that, in some unpublished images, scientists identified a structure which could be an ancient volcano, without any more details.
I'm wondering if they speak about the south polar basin 'central mound' (for which we already have some pictures) or if there is another volcano-like feature somewhere else on the surface !!
Best regards,
Marc.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Aug 27 2011, 05:40 AM
Post #408

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

There was actually one respectable scientist at SBAG suggesting that the south pole looked like a place where there'd been some volcanism. To be sure there's not any consensus at all in the community about what any of it means.

While we're waiting for consensus, the LEGO Vesta assembly continues. Having procured more 1x1, 1x3, and 2x2 corner plates from bricklink.com, I've now been able to complete half of the faces. I won't continue though until I've devised how to securely attach them to each other from the hollow interior, which will probably involve some Technic bricks and pins and some partial disassembly.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
tasp
post Aug 27 2011, 12:35 PM
Post #409

Member No.: 162

Are the kiddlings up to building a robotic arm with which to assemble the Lego Vesta?

laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Aug 29 2011, 04:11 PM
Post #410

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Three new images this morning - the last three days all at once. Credit where it's due, we are getting good stuff now.

One shows a dark hill. That might be the volcano mentioned by MarcF.

Phil

http://dawn.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedia/image_...e_day_Aug11.asp

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Aug 29 2011, 04:20 PM
Post #411

A mosaic of two recent VPODs showing the south polar region.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------

NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Tunglere
post Aug 30 2011, 02:00 PM
Post #412

Member No.: 6141

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Aug 29 2011, 12:11 PM) *
Three new images this morning - the last three days all at once.

I've noticed over the last couple weekends that on Saturday and Sunday new images show up over at Photojournal, but aren't added to the Dawn website until Monday along with Monday's picture.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Aug 30 2011, 03:45 PM
Post #413

Another nice image today - but check out yesterday's and today's images carefully - one is reversed, mirror image style. A quick check shows yesterday's was the reversed one.

Phil

--------------------

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Aug 31 2011, 05:09 AM
Post #414

Member No.: 1004

Dawn is not the only deep space probe observing Vesta:
Photometric observations of asteroid 4 Vesta by the OSIRIS cameras onboard the Rosetta spacecraft

+Quote Post
pablogm1024
post Sep 1 2011, 07:48 AM
Post #415

Member No.: 6038

Now that the Survey Orbit phase is over, it would be a good idea to open a new topic. I think this topic should still be left open in case someone wants to comment further, but the debate about the novelties should continue somewhere else.
Regards,
pablogm

--------------------

+Quote Post
mchan
post Sep 1 2011, 08:22 PM
Post #416

Member No.: 476

Marc Rayman's latest Dawn Journal on photos taken from survey orbit --

"The science camera has similarly overachieved. The intent was to photograph 60 percent of Vesta, but the entire 90 percent not in the darkness of northern winter has been captured at least five times. With pictures taken from multiple angles, stereo views can be constructed; and images at different times allow features to be observed under varied lighting conditions. All of the camera’s color filters were used, providing coverage in the near infrared and visible. Until recently, Vesta was known as little more than a smudge of light, but now scientists have more than 2,800 photos from Dawn’s survey."

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Sep 2 2011, 05:44 AM
Post #417

Member No.: 530

And I will say, it's disappointing that there aren't high[er] resolution mosaics available right about now.

+Quote Post
algorimancer
post Sep 2 2011, 12:24 PM
Post #418

Member No.: 285

So there's in excess of 2800 images in all color filters -- gives quite a sense of what we're missing.

+Quote Post
Guest_Sunspot_*
post Sep 2 2011, 04:41 PM
Post #419

Guests

QUOTE (algorimancer @ Sep 2 2011, 01:24 PM) *
So there's in excess of 2800 images in all color filters -- gives quite a sense of what we're missing.

I think there are 21 post orbit insertion images on the website.

+Quote Post
DrShank
post Sep 2 2011, 05:21 PM
Post #420

Member No.: 1828

QUOTE (Sunspot @ Sep 2 2011, 11:41 AM) *
I think there are 21 post orbit insertion images on the website.

Hi fellas!
Ive been quiet lately, absorbing those "2800" + images, among a bedlam of other issues this summer! Sorry I havent posted anything but I hope to be able to from now on with some (ir)regularity. Please keep in mind that those 3000 images have all been repeat coverage of the same areas 7 times all at the same resolution, so its kinda redundant (which is good!). Indeed most of the surface is now in stereo and several anaglyphs have been released. Its hard to believe but a large percentage of the surface has now been released on the web. I have been focused on that large south polar "feature" which is likely a giant impact crater but it has so many peculiarities its taking us some time to map it all out and sort out what it means. We have some interesting ideas we will be sharing soon. We will be having detailed reports on it and all the rest of Vesta at DPS/EPS in France and at GSA in minneapolis starting in October. Now we start slowly creeping into the first hi-res mapping orbits which will more than double our resolution, starting in 3 weeks. Stay tuned!
paul

--------------------

+Quote Post

29 Pages V  « < 26 27 28 29 >
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 12:54 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.