3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Solar Cycle 24 Begins
Guest_Sunspot_*
post Jan 4 2008, 07:45 PM
Post #1

Guests

Latest from spaceweather.com

SOLAR CYCLE 24: Solar physicists have been waiting for the appearance of a reversed-polarity sunspot to signal the start of the next solar cycle. The wait is over. A magnetically reversed, high-latitude sunspot emerged today: image. If you have a solar telescope, take a look at this important new active region. It marks the beginning of Solar Cycle 24 and the sun's slow ascent back to Solar Maximum.

Magnetic Image
Visible Light Image
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
K-P
post Jan 5 2008, 12:38 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 3919

At least here it has been really sunny day, seems to be a good cycle coming... smile.gif
Happy Birthday Sun!

--------------------
Spamming the Solar System with greetings since 1997!
(New Horizons, Huygens, Opportunity/Spirit, Deep Impact, Dawn, Phoenix, Selene... to name a few) :)

+Quote Post
Guest_Sunspot_*
post Jan 5 2008, 12:43 PM
Post #3

Guests

I'm really excited about this news. Apparently the earlier the cycle beings the more intense it is likely to be.

The spot group is JUST about visible in my telescope, hardly anything more than a few specs.. but a VERY important one!!

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jan 5 2008, 05:56 PM
Post #4

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Oh, joy. The last double-peaked beauty in '01-'02 royally messed up the Elmendorf AFB C-130 compass systems (rather, the associated geomagnetic storms did). Cycle 22's peak in '87-'88 did the same for A-10s I was working on in Arizona.

It sure was fun to try to explain that the Sun was doing this to a bunch of skeptical high-ranking officers as an enlisted guy, and later as a lowly civil servant. Fortunately, magnetic compasses on aircraft are being rapidly supplanted by dual or triple GPS-aided inertial nav systems these days.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Canopus
post Jan 8 2008, 12:13 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 659

Finally, and I'm glad! Solar minimum is sooooo boring. I know it'll take a while for solar activity to gear up. By 2011/12 I will have a solar telescope (what's the point of buying one now?), and look forward to massive sunspots and raging CME's. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_Sunspot_*
post Jan 11 2008, 06:03 PM
Post #6

Guests

QUOTE (Canopus @ Jan 8 2008, 12:13 PM) *
Finally, and I'm glad! Solar minimum is sooooo boring. I know it'll take a while for solar activity to gear up. By 2011/12 I will have a solar telescope (what's the point of buying one now?), and look forward to massive sunspots and raging CME's. wink.gif

Even when the Sun appears blank in visible light there is still a lot to see in H - alpha and other wavelengths.

And more Sunspot strangeness reported on spaceweather.com:

CURIOUS SUNSPOT: A new sunspot is emerging just south of the sun's equator, and it is a curious one. The spot's magnetic polarity is reversed compared to other nearby magnetic patches on the sun's surface.

Reversed-polarity sunspots are signs of a new solar cycle and, indeed, Solar Cycle 24 began just last week. So far, so good. But this spot is near the equator. New-cycle spots are supposed to be at high latitudes--hence the curiosity. Is this a genuine new-cycle spot? A weird old-cycle spot?

Image Link

+Quote Post
Canopus
post Jan 19 2010, 01:29 PM
Post #7

Funny. I last posted in this thread 2 years ago and NOW (finally...good grief) we are having continuous REAL solar activity.

The news in 2008 proved to be premature.

Now I'll consider buying a solar telescope.

+Quote Post
Guest_Sunspot_*
post Jan 19 2010, 02:17 PM
Post #8

Guests

It is weird how in the last month the sun seems to have come to life. I suppose things good turn quiet again though - we've had a few false starts

+Quote Post
Canopus
post Jan 19 2010, 02:51 PM
Post #9

we've had a few false starts

Yes, that's occurred to me too. sad.gif I usually check spaceweather.com daily (except for Sundays and Mondays), and lately have been holding my breath a bit: Waiting to see if there'll be another blank Sun...followed by days of same.

Hopefully this Cycle has "taken" permanently. The minimum went on for far too long; geez.

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Feb 9 2010, 05:24 PM
Post #10

Guests

There's also some activity on our Sun's side that's turned away from us;
http://stereo-ssc.nascom.nasa.gov/beacon/beacon_secchi.shtml
smile.gif

+Quote Post
nprev
post Feb 9 2010, 10:50 PM
Post #11

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Just gotta express some love for STEREO, here. This is a brilliant mission on so many levels; for the first time, we really have comprehensive direct solar activity monitoring, and thus far that's been a somewhat underappreciated achievement.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
jamescanvin
post Feb 17 2010, 08:31 AM
Post #12

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 16

QUOTE (Ron Hobbs @ Feb 16 2010, 05:19 PM) *
You know, I think we are going to need an SDO thread.

Agreed, this thread isn't really appropriate. I've split the SDO posts off to a new thread

--------------------
Twitter
Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here

+Quote Post
PDP8E
post Dec 29 2010, 02:53 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 1241

Here is the latest (DEC-2010) update on Solar Minimum.
It looks like we are coming out.
It is safe to say that solar max will be low (80?) and late.
What does this say for Cycle 25?
Attached Image

--------------------
CLA CLL

+Quote Post
Gsnorgathon
post Dec 29 2010, 07:22 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 156

Can someone help out those of us in the peanut gallery? How do you get a negative number of sunspots? blink.gif

+Quote Post
JohnVV
post Dec 29 2010, 11:52 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 4489

How do you get a negative number of sunspots?

from the standard average a "-" is possible

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 06:13 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.