djellison
post Apr 6 2006, 03:56 PM
Post #1

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

This one's for those with bandwith and a penchent for data only smile.gif

http://anserver1.eprsl.wustl.edu/anteam/merb/merb.htm

Great data sets - but I just grab the course.png which shows the path of the vehicle on that days drive - great

NOW - here's the problem - they're not matching up properly...i.e. I've been tracing the route around the edge of Endurance, and Sol 129 I should be right next to tracks from about 20 sols before when the rover headed out the other way. Somewhere, they've got out of line with one another.

Are all sites defined with X, Y and Z being in the same direction - or does a new site define a new set of axis for motion thereafter - and what am I missing to fall short of having these things match up. I don't THINK it's slipage etc - but perhaps it is. I don't know

Doug
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nix
post Apr 6 2006, 04:38 PM
Post #2

Chief Assistant

Group: Admin
Member No.: 136

I think there is a 'local coordinate system' for every new site. could be wrong though.

Nico

--------------------
photographer, space imagery enthusiast, proud father and partner, and geek.

http://500px.com/sacred-photons &

+Quote Post
SteveM
post Apr 6 2006, 04:57 PM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 675

QUOTE (djellison @ Apr 6 2006, 10:56 AM) *
This one's for those with bandwith and a penchent for data only smile.gif

http://anserver1.eprsl.wustl.edu/anteam/merb/merb.htm

Great data sets - but I just grab the course.png which shows the path of the vehicle on that days drive - great

There seem to be several steps between the link you gave and the course.png files you mentioned. Could you give some help for navigating around the site to those files?

NOW - here's the problem - they're not matching up properly...i.e. I've been tracing the route around the edge of Endurance, and Sol 129 I should be right next to tracks from about 20 sols before when the rover headed out the other way. Somewhere, they've got out of line with one another....

Doug

The positions on the Traverse Maps on the Analyst's Notebook "are taken from Rover Vector Files and have not been corrected for wheel slip." I suspect that other position data at the PDS may suffer from the similar problem, which would account for your problem.

I couldn't find the bundle adjusted Rover positions from Li's team at Ohio State anywhere in the PDS -- of course since they originally planned to do a new complete bundle adjustment every few days, they may be holding off until they can pull it all together, yet interim reports would be helpful.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Apr 8 2006, 05:14 PM
Post #4

Solar System Cartographer

Group: Members
Member No.: 227

Doug, I'm replying to a question from you about the digital scale of my Endurance mosaic - couldn't find the original question. I didn't make it at a specific scale, but of course it can be resampled to a specific m/pixel scale as needed. I think the area covered is about 200 m across. I can't go back into it yet to do anything specific - too busy.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 01:24 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.