IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

The Dust Avalanche revisited in 3D, Shape-from-shading color DEM from single image
Nirgal
post Feb 23 2010, 07:58 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 223

I'm currently exploring the application of my single-image photoclinometric 3D reconstruction algorithm to generate DEMs for various areas of interest, in particular where we have no other (i.e stereo-imaging based) detailed 3D reconstructions yet.
One of the first areas I have always wanted to visit "from the ground" is the famous Dust Avalanche caught live in action by HiRISE.

Follow this link for a small web gallery with color 3D renderings of a DEM derived from the originally published HiRISE image, rendered under various viewing positions and light source directions.

The original 2D image can be found at the HiRISE site under the observation ID PSP_007338_2640

Disclaimer: The single-image derived 3D DEMs are mainly intended for visualization purposes. Although they are quite exact at reproducing relative heights at small scales, they are less accurate with respect to absolute heights at large scales.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Bjorn Jonsson
post Feb 24 2010, 11:14 AM
Post #2

IMG to PNG GOD

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 38

This is awesome. Are you taking into account the fact that apparantly there are large albedo variations in the source image? The terrain at left in the source image looks brighter than the terrain in other parts of the image.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:26 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.